2023 FAA Reauthorization - consolidating low-level TRACONs

It’s disheartening to me to find out that so many of you are only in this career field for the money. I have received so much laugh and hate about my post. It’s honestly shameful that none of you have a love and passion for your profession, I would do this job for half the pay that’s how much I love my country and my profession, and it’s a shame, that the rest of you are more concerned with cash in your pockets, then providing a valuable service to your fellow countrymen. But hey, I guess I’m just different different.

It’s disheartening to me to find out that so many of you are only in this career field for the money. I have received so much laugh and hate about my post. It’s honestly shameful that none of you have a love and passion for your profession, I would do this job for half the pay that’s how much I love my country and my profession, and it’s a shame, that the rest of you are more concerned with cash in your pockets, then providing a valuable service to your fellow countrymen. But hey, I guess I’m just different different.
This is terribly incorrect. You would be hard pressed to find anyone here who did not feel such patriotism and passion for the job but we expect to be properly compensated. You are just the kind person manipulative management and indeed military higher preferred, someone that cannot say no that they could squeeze every ounce of life out of. Once you 20 years are done and you look back at your career with "half pay" and pride, you will eventually ask yourself:

"Why was I not properly compensated?"
"Was it worthy missing all those birthdays/anniversaries/etc... just for the mission and to have a guy on the scope?"
and many other questions...

There is nothing wrong with taking one for the team every now and then but history has shown that it will become expected and encouraged while your body slowly kills itself with the accolades for success on "accomplishing the mission" fall on those with better hours and schedules. Chase that retirement plaque, have that retirement party, and be forgotten within a week of leaving a facility after dedicating half your life to it. Take a step back from the kool aid jug brother, if this is how you truly feel bid some DoD jobs because some Division Officers will eat this up and treat you like the door mat that you infer us to be.

Love and passion for the job have nothing to do with fighting for better pay and benefits. I’m sure a surgeon making 750k has passion to not kill the patient

Not gonna lie, this take is lame af. Every human being deserves to be compensated properly, even in the best of working conditions. We as an entire workforce are being abused and taken advantage of. To say you'll do this for half the pay because you love your country is toxic. I wonder what your partner/kids would think if you said that to them. And if that's truly how you feel then do it. Spend half your salary on buying your crew lunch and donate half your leave.

By the way, it's entirely possible and valid that we can 1. Demand to be paid more and 2. Provide a valuable service at the same time.

I love my job and aviation as a whole but as the prophet DMX once famously said “fuck what you think ain’t shit for free”

I understand what you are saying and I partly agree, but the agency doesn't care about us. Why should we care about them?
No it screams a person who has passion and dedication to their craft. Maybe its the lack of passion from many of you that has led the agency to the worst atc services in decades. Maybe just maybe if we cared a little bit more about the flying public and less about long breaks and lining our pockets the agency would be in a better place.

No it screams a person who has passion and dedication to their craft. Maybe it’s the lack of passion from many of you that has led the agency to the worst atc services in decades. Maybe just maybe if we cared a little bit more about the flying public and less about long breaks and lining our pockets the agency would be in a better place.
Spoken like a true supervisor. The agency cares about the airlines profit

No it screams a person who has passion and dedication to their craft. Maybe its the lack of passion from many of you that has led the agency to the worst atc services in decades. Maybe just maybe if we cared a little bit more about the flying public and less about long breaks and lining our pockets the agency would be in a better place.
I think most people in general only work because they have to. I would much rather be enjoying the beautiful country I live in with my family but I have to afford to live so I work over 2,000 hours a year instead. Since I already have to work, of course I’m going to find the highest paying job I’m qualified for.

I really don’t care if the highest paying job was ATC, a cashier or fast food. No matter what it takes me away from my family.

I worked 820 hours of overtime in 2023.

Back
Top Bottom