Adderall In High school/Freshman in college an issue?

KT1998

Hello y’all,

I am just in the beginning process, but wondering if being prescribed adderall in high school and as a freshman in college would D/Q me or place me in Tier 2? It has been over three years since my last prescription was filled. I don’t want to go through everything just to be D/Q’d for something like this. Any insight I’d be thankful!

Hello y’all,

I am just in the beginning process, but wondering if being prescribed adderall in high school and as a freshman in college would D/Q me or place me in Tier 2? It has been over three years since my last prescription was filled. I don’t want to go through everything just to be D/Q’d for something like this. Any insight I’d be thankful!
ADHD would probably prevent you from having a medical so you’ll probably have to have additional testing to verify you are “better” or whatever.

ADHD would probably prevent you from having a medical so you’ll probably have to have additional testing to verify you are “better” or whatever.
Copy. What would that additional testing entail? I was prescribed in high school just by my doctor. Was never even diagnosed with ADD/ADHD by a psychiatrist.

Copy. What would that additional testing entail? I was prescribed in high school just by my doctor. Was never even diagnosed with ADD/ADHD by a psychiatrist.
Not sure. Most of the time when you tell them you’ve taken a drug they are more concerned with what was being treated than the actual drug. So I’m guessing there will be questions so be ready to provide documentation and/or submit to additional testing. Also be advised that the FAA won’t pay for additional testing that they require to issue you a medical.

They were handing out meth like it was candy for a while there when we were kids. There have been plenty of cases such as your situation. Someone at my cti was told he just needed to see psychiatrist. It took 5 minutes. Then someone else same thing and they just went to a physician and got a note that said “I know he was prescribed when he was younger and has not been on medication for 10 years now. Through my interaction with the patient I see it unnecessary that patient needs said meth and I would not diagnose him as currently having ADHD”

I had to do additional testing for previous ADHD medication in August. I had to schedule an appointment with an FAA-approved neuropsychologist, and it went something like this:

Show up at 8 am and meet with the neuropsych for 15-30 mins to establish my social history, medical history, psychiatric and substance abuse history, and behavioral observations. These are like a first meeting/ get-to-know-you with a regular psychiatrist. After the meeting, one of his employees handled my testing for the rest of the day.

The tests were as follows:

Intellectual Abilities
-Verbal Comprehension
-Perceptual Reasoning
-Working Memory
-Processing Speed

Language
-Verbal Fluency
-Boston Naming Test
-WMS-IV
-R-AVLT

Sustained Attention/Vigilance
-PASAT
-DVT
-Conners Continuous Performance Test - 3rd

Executive Functioning
-Halstead Category Test
-Trail Making Test
-Stroop Test
-Rey Complex Figure

Fine Motor
-Motor Testing
-Manual Finger Tapping L/R
-Grooved Pegboard L/R

Visual Perception
-Judgement of Line Orientation

Symptom Validity
-MSVT

Psychiatric/Personality/Behavioral/Emotional Functioning
-MMPI 2 (again, but handwritten.)

CogScreen - Aeromedical Edition

A month or two later I got my results interpretation and a summary/recommendation. It was a pain and expensive ($2800 out of pocket), but worth it if I get the job. I was at the office from roughly 8:00-2:00 with an hour break for lunch. It was honestly kind of fun at times and genuinely stressful at others. It reminded me of an extended ATSA, and I assume my experience is somewhat indicative of the job itself.

EDIT for background: I took Adderrall in grade school for two years and then for one month ~10 years ago after graduating high school. I was never officially diagnosed with ADHD.

Last edited:
I had to do additional testing for previous ADHD medication in August. I had to schedule an appointment with an FAA-approved neuropsychologist, and it went something like this:

Show up at 8 am and meet with the neuropsych for 15-30 mins to establish my social history, medical history, psychiatric and substance abuse history, and behavioral observations. These are like a first meeting/ get-to-know-you with a regular psychiatrist. After the meeting, one of his employees handled my testing for the rest of the day.

The tests were as follows:

Intellectual Abilities
-Verbal Comprehension
-Perceptual Reasoning
-Working Memory
-Processing Speed

Language
-Verbal Fluency
-Boston Naming Test
-WMS-IV
-R-AVLT

Sustained Attention/Vigilance
-PASAT
-DVT
-Conners Continuous Performance Test - 3rd

Executive Functioning
-Halstead Category Test
-Trail Making Test
-Stroop Test
-Rey Complex Figure

Fine Motor
-Motor Testing
-Manual Finger Tapping L/R
-Grooved Pegboard L/R

Visual Perception
-Judgement of Line Orientation

Symptom Validity
-MSVT

Psychiatric/Personality/Behavioral/Emotional Functioning
-MMPI 2 (again, but handwritten.)

CogScreen - Aeromedical Edition

A month or two later I got my results interpretation and a summary/recommendation. It was a pain and expensive ($2800 out of pocket), but worth it if I get the job. I was at the office from roughly 8:00-2:00 with an hour break for lunch. It was honestly kind of fun at times and genuinely stressful at others. It reminded me of an extended ATSA, and I assume my experience is somewhat indicative of the job itself.

EDIT for background: I took Adderrall in grade school for two years and then for one month ~10 years ago after graduating high school. I was never officially diagnosed with ADHD.
I genuinely cannot thank you enough for this detailed response and background information. This gives me unreal insight into what to expect. Appreciate you, good sir.

I genuinely cannot thank you enough for this detailed response and background information. This gives me unreal insight into what to expect. Appreciate you, good sir.
You're welcome! Hopefully it helps you understand what to expect from the tests. Let me know if you have any questions about them. You'll also have to do a drug test within 24 hours of the testing, FYI.

One other question I had, was did you have to follow up with the Dr who prescribed you? Get all the details from that, as well as a letter from him/her saying you’re good to go?

One other question I had, was did you have to follow up with the Dr who prescribed you? Get all the details from that, as well as a letter from him/her saying you’re good to go?
So the doctor who prescribed me when I was in grade school- no, I didn't have to follow up. If I could remember who the doctor was, then I likely would have had to. I did have to follow up with the doctor who prescribed me when I was 20. I had to schedule an appointment with him so that he could give "a description of my functioning" and so he could confirm the dates I had given for the prescription.

So he had to corroborate the info I'd given to the FAA as well as vouch for my (relative) sanity, yes.

Back
Top Bottom