Backing out of SUP job before starting

NTA7008

Does anyone know the process for backing out of a sup job before your start date? I accepted a FOL for a sup job (CPC to permanent position Sup) and have had a change in my circumstances and will likely need to back out before starting. The start date is 3 months in the future.

I know if you quit being a sup and go back to the boards, your seniority resets to the date you come back as a controller. Considering I haven’t started the sup position yet, I don’t think my seniority would reset but I can’t confirm one way or the other from the contract. I’m not aware of anyone who has had the same situation so I don’t have anyone to ask.

Thanks!

Not really a process, don't accept the FOL if you don't want the job. Also, you retain your seniority but, since you bid a sup job, I believe you are not eligible for any NATCA detail for 2 years.

I guess I read it wrong lol. If you haven't started the job, regardless of FOL, then you can back out... Maybe?

I guess I read it wrong lol. If you haven't started the job, regardless of FOL, then you can back out... Maybe?
Yeah I accepted the FOL a few weeks back but the start date isn’t for 3 months. So, I’m still BUE until that date. Just wasn’t sure if the seniority reset happens when you accept the FOL or actually start the position. I’d assume the latter.

Last edited:
"Any bargaining unit member who accepted a supervisor/management position after September 12, 2008 and returns to the bargaining unit will have his/her cumulative seniority date set to the day they return."

If you signed the FOL, you give up your seniority. Your new seniority day should be the date you declined the FOL.

"Any bargaining unit member who accepted a supervisor/management position after September 12, 2008 and returns to the bargaining unit will have his/her cumulative seniority date set to the day they return."

If you signed the FOL, you give up your seniority. Your new seniority day should be the date you declined the FOL.
I’ve never left the bargaining unit though. I wouldn’t leave until my start date. That’s where I’m not clear.

Natca still representing until actual start date. I bet dues would still be coming out
Until actual change over. So this one sounds tricky I wouldn’t even tell Natca I accepted the job they have no way of knowing until official change?

While I’m not sure if you’re actually serious or not, I find it comical people actually think that way.
Yeah. I do not want to be a sup but I have a terminally ill family member. Can’t release through NCEPT and hardship denied. This was my only way of getting back to be with them. Sometimes there’s more to why someone bids and takes a sup job other than just wanting to dodge traffic.

Natca still representing until actual start date. I bet dues would still be coming out
Until actual change over. So this one sounds tricky I wouldn’t even tell Natca I accepted the job they have no way of knowing until official change?
I asked on here to avoid asking NATCA, but with the mixed responses I decided to bite the bullet and ask my rep. He said no seniority lost until you actually start the new position, as that’s when the new SF50 would be created.

Yeah. I do not want to be a sup but I have a terminally ill family member. Can’t release through NCEPT and hardship denied. This was my only way of getting back to be with them. Sometimes there’s more to why someone bids and takes a sup job other than just wanting to dodge traffic.
Exactly. Sometimes that’s the only way you take care of your family is by becoming a sup somewhere else.

You just contact HR and tell them you're now declining.
Correct me if I'm wrong- but it's more changing your mind. Hey hr lady I accepted but have had a change in life circumstances.

Could get tricky but I doubt it, if something legit happened most people will have empathy and logic...but it's the faa after all

If it really irks someone they could make you report and then hardship back to your original position with a loss of seniority or something whacky like that. (Doubtful) but I'm curious how this plays out

Correct me if I'm wrong- but it's more changing your mind. Hey hr lady I accepted but have had a change in life circumstances.

Could get tricky but I doubt it, if something legit happened most people will have empathy and logic...but it's the faa after all

If it really irks someone they could make you report and then hardship back to your original position with a loss of seniority or something whacky like that. (Doubtful) but I'm curious how this plays out
It's not more difficult than that. It can be 1 day before you report, just like any transfer, err, hardship. It doesn't need to be for any legit reason, you just changed your mind.

It's not more difficult than that. It can be 1 day before you report, just like any transfer, err, hardship. It doesn't need to be for any legit reason, you just changed your mind.
This.

Until you start day 1, you can change your mind as long as your still at your previous fac. Until you go out the door, you remain part of the bargaining unit

This.

Until you start day 1, you can change your mind as long as your still at your previous fac. Until you go out the door, you remain part of the bargaining unit
agreed, and want to expand. its 12:00am on sunday of the new pay period. up until that minute you can back out.

Ah OK so it's the same as the guy that puts in the err and gets selected as the one release your facility has allowed in 4 years and then he decides last minute not to take it.

Wasn't sure if it was different with a promotion type situation

Ah OK so it's the same as the guy that puts in the err and gets selected as the one release your facility has allowed in 4 years and then he decides last minute not to take it.

Wasn't sure if it was different with a promotion type situation
hardships too.

Does anyone know the process for backing out of a sup job before your start date? I accepted a FOL for a sup job (CPC to permanent position Sup) and have had a change in my circumstances and will likely need to back out before starting. The start date is 3 months in the future.

I know if you quit being a sup and go back to the boards, your seniority resets to the date you come back as a controller. Considering I haven’t started the sup position yet, I don’t think my seniority would reset but I can’t confirm one way or the other from the contract. I’m not aware of anyone who has had the same situation so I don’t have anyone to ask.

Thanks!
What was the timeline like for you, from application to TOL/FOL?

Attachments

• 2F66A8BB-0341-4CBC-AAC1-54EEB31C70D4.jpeg
    2F66A8BB-0341-4CBC-AAC1-54EEB31C70D4.jpeg
    53.3 KB · Views: 11
Back
Top Bottom