Best up/down facilities

jay_a2003

Lurker
Good afternoon everyone, Im 18 and im going to school to study air traffic management shortly but I am wanting to get some feedback on the best up/down facilities for someone who is wanting to progress to a busier area later in their career and whether location really matters, for example if I was wanting to work at a place like dfw would it be wise for me to begin at place like waco or okc thats somewhere nearby rather that coming in from a place that is in a different area. Thank you guys in advance.

Good afternoon everyone, Im 18 and im going to school to study air traffic management shortly but I am wanting to get some feedback on the best up/down facilities for someone who is wanting to progress to a busier area later in their career and whether location really matters, for example if I was wanting to work at a place like dfw would it be wise for me to begin at place like waco or okc thats somewhere nearby rather that coming in from a place that is in a different area. Thank you guys in advance.
With the way NCEPT changed how movement is done there is almost zero reason to choose a specific type of facility anymore. You want the facility with the fastest training program and the best staffing.
I’ve been told by many ATMs and FacReps that they want jet traffic experience or a radar ticket all while watching them pick up the opposite panel after panel.

Same goes for trying to get in the district of the facility you want. This is the old way things were done to earn that spot. Now I see more selections outside of districts than in it seems like.

You won't have much, if any, say on where you go. So whatever plan you're trying to make is moot.

You have a long way to go before you start thinking of what facilities will set you up for career progression in the future.

I wouldn’t waste my time with an air traffic management degree either. Go for a degree in something else that can be used as a fallback, or just find full time work for a couple years and apply to an OTS bid. Good luck.

Like MJ said you will only have a few to choose from and you will only find out the week of selection. If you’re terminal, go to a tower. Radar facilities are more difficult to certify in and take longer (sometimes extremely longer) to complete training in. And, to compound the punishment further, radar facilities as a type are much more difficult to transfer out of.
Also DFW has been at times the single most competitive ERR in the country so the majority of applicants could constantly apply for 20 years straight and will never get it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom