CRWG

I agree this is dumb, but I'm laughing at the spouse's employer (and a lot of employers including the Feds) calling Alaska OCONUS.

It's a misuse of the definition, since Alaska is literally part of the continental US. It's non-contiguous (doesn't share a border with the lower forty eight), but still part of North America.

ANYWAYYYYY...
As I recall, the spouse was a well paid charter pilot at a “forever” corp job. The kind with a small, Gucci flight department that got lots of money and significant autonomy, the kind of place people kill for an interview that might come up every decade. The increased duration of the commute because of flights to/from Alaska, limitations on routing, availability, unreliability (WX, etc) was too much for a the company to believe commute between home base and Alaska was a reliable and feasible thing for the spouse to do. Makes sense to me.

It won’t become dangerous they’ll just be insane ground delays everywhere
I know this is what NATCA tries to say, but do you really believe it wouldn't be less safe to have everywhere in the NAS severely understaffed all the time?

If a VFR tower is designed to have 2 local controls and there are 20 aircraft inbound in a 10 mile radius, do you think there's enough time on the radio to give adequate traffic advisories?

If GC and LC are combined at the middle of the day in an IFR airport and you're trying to ensure separation between multiple arrival aircraft, coordinate for IFR releases with Tracon, solve ground traffic issues, ensure appropriate hold short read backs and runway assignment for landing and departing aircraft - do you think it's 100% as safe as if they were decombined?

I get that an overlying center or tracon can do some things that can meter aircraft and reduce workload, but many facilities you just work harder when you're short and that usually ends up with controllers cutting corners just to get by.

I get that an overlying center or tracon can do some things that can meter aircraft and reduce workload, but many facilities you just work harder when you're short and that usually ends up with controllers cutting corners just to get by.
Well that's the tickling part isn't it. If we followed all the rules, left planes on routes, etc it would significantly slow everything down. I remember some years ago when we didn't have staffing to allow shortcuts with people on furlough leave...I know the greater NY area didn't do it as a slow down but it got some people's attention-when you DONT cut some corners it slows it all down

Well that's the tickling part isn't it. If we followed all the rules, left planes on routes, etc it would significantly slow everything down. I remember some years ago when we didn't have staffing to allow shortcuts with people on furlough leave...I know the greater NY area didn't do it as a slow down but it got some people's attention-when you DONT cut some corners it slows it all down
Damn. I’ve been giving them all direct JFK for awhile

Any new news on this? I heard some regions are having conference calls about it this coming week.

Finance was removed from staffing. I don't know if that meant the literal office of finance or just the idea of running it like a business. Something NATCA had been trying to do for the past 15 years they say.

Removing the staffing range that each facility has. You're either staffed or you're not. Technically your staffing number could be 20, but 18 - 22 was the staffing range and if you fell into that range it was fine.

The FAA hasn't been truthful or a bit misleading with their reporting to Congress. Things like counting trainees towards the staffing and other stuff I guess.

The meetings that are coming up are supposed to be a lot more detailed and important. I think every facility is about to have their numbers increased.

Screenshot_20221206_164621.jpg

This is from the NEB minutes dated Oct. 12-13.

A separate memo dated 11/14 from the New England Bi monthly update says the CRWG will document their findings from the survey by 1/31/23 and then will collaboratively review the survey results and resolve and discrepancies from the current interim CRWG CPC staffing targets. I think the key word there could be interim. So it sounds like they could go ahead and adjust all the targets by EOY and then validate and correct any issues afterwards. Then once everything is finally worked out early next year, they would include that in the controller workforce plan I'm guessing.

Last edited:
Now that it is submitted how did everyone handle this? I think 90% of facilities are going to fudge the numbers, stating that more positions would have been open then really would have been, in an effort to increase their staffing numbers. It is true that most people in level seven and below facilities want to transfer, but usually the ATM and Fac Reps are locals or loyalists to each other and the facility. So while in some cases you might have a Fac Rep who wants to lower the staffing number to get people out and has an ATM who won't resist, in most cases places will work to increase the number for more leave slots and easier schedules, etc.....

What will be funny is that the ATO will get these reports with everyone saying they need more people. Are they going to try to increase the total number of CPCs to 20,000 from 15,000? Or just say fuck it, this was a bad idea that gave us useless data...... and leave every staffing number as is lol? Either way, Andrew LeBovidge will be smiling somewhere.

Now that it is submitted how did everyone handle this? I think 90% of facilities are going to fudge the numbers, stating that more positions would have been open then really would have been, in an effort to increase their staffing numbers. It is true that most people in level seven and below facilities want to transfer, but usually the ATM and Fac Reps are locals or loyalists to each other and the facility. So while in some cases you might have a Fac Rep who wants to lower the staffing number to get people out and has an ATM who won't resist, in most cases places will work to increase the number for more leave slots and easier schedules, etc.....

What will be funny is that the ATO will get these reports with everyone saying they need more people. Are they going to try to increase the total number of CPCs to 20,000 from 15,000? Or just say fuck it, this was a bad idea that gave us useless data...... and leave every staffing number as is lol? Either way, Andrew LeBovidge will be smiling somewhere.
They need to figure out how to treat areas differently. Staffing varies wildly from 1 asile to the next. And the 1% bonus to switch areas ain’t it.

Bro, you hit the nail on the head. My rep and ATM straight up lied about what we needed open. ATM came in asking for the moon and rep talked him down a little and counted it as a win for "collaboration." Meanwhile, they still agreed to staff double the amount of positions we need to work our peak traffic during peak hours. They agreed to staffing positions that shouldn't exist at all and have only ever been opened for training in the last 10 years, not because there is a legitimate need for it. Their sole goal was to keep the staffing number artificially high. Time will tell if they succeeded in fucking over the 90% of the membership that wants to leave, which ironically includes the rep!

It’s a 2% bonus bro.
That’s 1% off.
Or.
That’s 50% too low.
Or.
It’s 100% more than that.
Either way. Who wants to train again for months for a couple grand that doesn’t even go into your salary. Not to mention you’ll lose more than the bonus in premiums while your in the labs

Factually incorrect. Ok. So you honestly believe that people having the ability to apply to jobs on a city by city bid would not lower the number of ERRs? Really.

Because that’s how literally EVERY other federal agency does. Even tech ops.
The FBI, IRS and all the agencies that hire by the thousands allow applicants to directly select cities that they are willing to work in. But we have to be special and continue with our current system.
Again with factually incorrect information. There are multiple different agencies that hire with placement wherever they choose. CIA, FBI, border patrol, the entire military…..among many others….

Last edited:
Again with factually incorrect information. There ate multiple different agencies that hire with placement wherever they choose. CIA, FBI, border patrol, the entire military…..among many others….
CBP does placements like controllers in the FAA. They do transfers via bids.

CBP does placements like controllers in the FAA. They do transfers via bids.
Do they tho?

**Effective Immediately**Newly appointed Border Patrol Agents who meet the criteria defined 5 CFR 575.102 for new federal employees will be offered a $10,000 recruitment incentive upon successful completion of the academy. Additionally, new agents who accept a hard-to-fill duty location will be eligible for an additional $10,000 recruitment incentive (for a total of $20,000). Hard-to-fill locations include: Sierra Blanca, Texas; Presidio, Texas; Sanderson, Texas; Comstock, Texas; Lordsburg, N.M.; Freer, Texas; Hebbronville, Texas; Ajo, Ariz. All incentive recipients will be required to sign a two-year service agreement.

Again with factually incorrect information. There ate multiple different agencies that hire with placement wherever they choose. CIA, FBI, border patrol, the entire military…..among many others….
Ours should but probably won't, and we will continue to never release anyone via ncept

Back
Top Bottom