Enroute Class pass rate

CKT’s are book tests you’ll tale at the academy, I believe they stand for Course Knowledge Test, but I could be wrong. There’s a total of 100pts at the academy after basics. You need at least 70pts out of the 100pts to pass. You’ll take 3 radar evals the last 2 days, each worth 22pts, for a total of 66pts. That leaves another 34pts. 20pts are “book work” tests, your map, your aircraft characteristics, computer entry, and CKT 1&2. The other 14pts are for two nonradar evals, each worth 7pts.

The more points you get out of 34 available before radar evals the better you’re off obviously. 66pts in Radar you can see it’s obviously heavily weighted.

Thanks so much! Very good information to know as I'm waiting on clearences. Do you recommend studying anything before going to the academy? Airport codes, phonetic alphabet, military time, etc?

Thanks so much! Very good information to know as I'm waiting on clearences. Do you recommend studying anything before going to the academy? Airport codes, phonetic alphabet, military time, etc?

They have a list of airport codes that they’ll want you to know but that’s not for a while. I’d definitely memorize the phonetic alphabet, military time as well but that’s pretty simple. Other than that just show up ready to rock and roll. Good luck on the clearances and when you get down there man, always here to help if I can just like so many others on the site. We need more controllers! I have some out dated study guides for EnRoute when I went through in 2015, don’t know if they’re still good or accurate.

Tower academics was extremely easy. Most of my class walked away with over 9.5 points.

Times must have changed. 25% of my class failed the first block test. My lowest score so far has been a 93. For me to say a test is easy, I better get a 100. From talking to my classmates, I would guess the class average on the block tests is around 85%. We only had 8 people out of 18 pass the visibility test (I managed to, but that I attest to a higher power).

Also, we tend to hurry through the lessons so there is extra time to discuss scenarios and phraseology, which I actually appreciate more since that's what the bulk of our grade comes down to.

Last edited:
Times must have changed. 25% of my class failed the first block test. My lowest score so far has been a 93. For me to say a test is easy, I better get a 100. From talking to my classmates, I would guess the class average on the block tests is around 85%. We only had 8 people out of 18 pass the visibility test (I managed to, but that I attest to a higher power).

Also, we tend to hurry through the lessons so there is extra time to discuss scenarios and phraseology, which I actually appreciate more since that's what the bulk of our grade comes down to.
Except when you fail by one point because you hurried through the lessons. If a quarter of your class failed the first block test, I think I would be looking for some new people to study with.

I completely agree with GBP on this. Sadly, if that many people are struggling through bookwork, the odds of them being successful later are quite slim. Like she said, gravitate towards the people who are putting in the time and being successful. Glad to hear you're doing well thus far.

Damn 8 people on the vis test?! Just keep doing what you are doing and have a phraseology down before you start tabletops.

As someone who just graduated last month, I agree with boots that the book work is the easiest thing you’ll do, most people in our class went into Evals with 9.5 or higher. Now is a great time to find who is doing well and study with them, you don’t want to fail because of a few points lost in academics

My ex basically aced the academics part and she got a 0 on the first radar test. I think she got partial credit on the other two but that zero really crushed her. Sounds like it's pretty easy to lose points if you're not damn near perfect with those.

- She was in a February '17 class*

Last edited:
My ex basically aced the academics part and she got a 0 on the first radar test. I think she got partial credit on the other two but that zero really crushed her. Sounds like it's pretty easy to lose points if you're not damn near perfect with those.

I’m assuming you broke up with her after she failed the academy

I’m assuming you broke up with her after she failed the academy
Or she broke up with you when you got your TOL

Nah we actually broke up july of '16 and my life has been on a downward trajectory since. I watched her slowly stop loving me when i met someone else cause i was hurt that she cheated on me. At this point feelings are gone and i'm able to ask her questions about the process and stuff like this because it's not like we hate each other, but yeah, i could really use a change. I know how the Enroute academy process goes somewhat based on her first hand experience. I can tell you this... she didn't make it and she's still just home and depressed figuring out what's next. Coming down to 3, 30 minute tests is a huge life commitment.

She actually is super upset that I received a TOL. Just immaturity and jealousy i guess. She was a CTI grad. I think she's upset because i never would have considered this as a career option til we toured ZDV together and i saw how awesome it was and how great of a fit it would be for my skill set and interests.

Last edited:
Nah we actually broke up july of '16 and my life has been on a downward trajectory since. I watched her slowly stop loving me when i met someone else cause i was hurt that she cheated on me. At this point feelings are gone and i'm able to ask her questions about the process and stuff like this because it's not like we hate each other, but yeah, i could really use a change. I know how the Enroute academy process goes somewhat based on her first hand experience. I can tell you this... she didn't make it and she's still just home and depressed figuring out what's next. Coming down to 3, 30 minute tests is a huge life commitment.

She actually is super upset that I received a TOL. Just immaturity and jealousy i guess. She was a CTI grad. I think she's upset because i never would have considered this as a career option til we toured ZDV together and i saw how awesome it was and how great of a fit it would be for my skill set and interests.

That escalated quickly!

Hmmn so honestly, where would a "healthy" class be a week before tabletops (i.e comfortable with phraseology, comfortable with the rules? Both? ) My particular study group is comfortable with phraseology but we learned wake turbulence today and the rules are overwhelming at this point.

Thanks guys!

Hmmn so honestly, where would a "healthy" class be a week before tabletops (i.e comfortable with phraseology, comfortable with the rules? Both? ) My particular study group is comfortable with phraseology but we learned wake turbulence today and the rules are overwhelming at this point.

Thanks guys!
I think it's fair to say everyone gets overwhelmed at first with wake turb. Give it a day or so and it will be fine.

My particular study group is comfortable with phraseology but we learned wake turbulence today and the rules are overwhelming at this point.
That's normal. Expect when you get into tabletops/3D and actually have a headset on to instantly forget about 50% of everything right as you want to make a transmission. A lot of people will turn to the instructors and say "what do I say?" It'll take a couple days to start feeling comfortable. Just know that you will forget to use your timers, you will forget who the airplanes are, and you will feel behind. Don't worry about it and just work each airplane individually piece by piece.

That's normal. Expect when you get into tabletops/3D and actually have a headset on to instantly forget about 50% of everything right as you want to make a transmission. A lot of people will turn to the instructors and say "what do I say?" It'll take a couple days to start feeling comfortable. Just know that you will forget to use your timers, you will forget who the airplanes are, and you will feel behind. Don't worry about it and just work each airplane individually piece by piece.

This. I was a complete disaster on my first run on the table tops but as a ran more and more I got better with every run. Its amazing how much better you will be than you were the week before. The instructors are helpful for the most part and if you mess up something like wake turbulence they will make sure you know about it.

Back
Top Bottom