ERR MOU Change Campaign

I'm curious, how many of you guys have thought about leaving the union as a result of all this?
It will be interesting to see how many leave the union over this,especially at the big facilities. Maybe if/when the money dries up we will see something change.

There are people that want to bring up the fact that the union negotiated pay raises for us all. Spare me. The true raise is that of CAREER PROGRESSION. That, with this horrendous ERR MOU, has been stolen from us. And why is that? Because for so many years the FAA dropped the ball on hiring. Now here we are in a staffing crisis. And what has the agency done? Stifled career progression for most of the workforce. It's also made many at my facility and around the nation feel absolutely hopeless and trapped. What a way to drive a group of people, who are naturally ambitious, crazy. There is hardly any movement and only at 4 times a year. It doesn't matter if you have the talent or not. What matters is that you're from a CAT 1 or 2 facility and then and only then will you have a chance to move up in your career. This is a horrible MOU and needs to be changed or revoked completely. And that needs to be done immediately. IMMEDIATELY.

They only way to get rid of this godawful process is to force the change. NATCA has been explicit they don't care what the workforce thinks. Pressure from congress, much like the CTI campaign of a few years ago, is one way, but it requires action. Frankly, most people either don't care because it doesn't effect them or they're just lazy.

The other way would be to change it from within. The convention already passed so it'll be another couple years before that's an option. The NATCA elections take place in 2018. There's a chance to replace the current batch of RVPs that brought this mess to us. Vote turnout is pretty terrible, so it's possible that only a few hundred votes could win.

It's a year + away, but it's never too early to start. Anyone who wants to Campaign, the resources of this site are at your disposal.
Are you going to run for RVP, you have my vote! Thanks again for all the work and time you put into this!

New meeting minutes posted today from the last panel. It definitely mentions some changes but I am really confused how to interpret what exactly it means and to what degree it will affect the MOU.

Anyone know what the "Level Seven & Below (Staffing to 100%)" policy is? It is mentioned in the minutes.

I can't find it anywhere in the MOU or SOP.
They are only staffing facilities enough to reach the projected national average. The entire design of the process falls apart using that. Staffing lower level facilities to their required staffing levels is their "fix". As far as I'm aware it's not being done in practice.

Are you going to run for RVP, you have my vote! Thanks again for all the work and time you put into this!
haha thanks. i do not currently meet the eligibility requirements 8)

There are people that want to bring up the fact that the union negotiated pay raises for us all. Spare me. The true raise is that of CAREER PROGRESSION. That, with this horrendous ERR MOU, has been stolen from us. And why is that? Because for so many years the FAA dropped the ball on hiring. Now here we are in a staffing crisis. And what has the agency done? Stifled career progression for most of the workforce. It's also made many at my facility and around the nation feel absolutely hopeless and trapped. What a way to drive a group of people, who are naturally ambitious, crazy. There is hardly any movement and only at 4 times a year. It doesn't matter if you have the talent or not. What matters is that you're from a CAT 1 or 2 facility and then and only then will you have a chance to move up in your career. This is a horrible MOU and needs to be changed or revoked completely. And that needs to be done immediately. IMMEDIATELY.

Couldn't agree more, I'd estimate this process is costing me about 50k a year...Thats 2 careers worth of NATCA dues.

What did this mean in the NCEPT minutes?

Changes to Facility “Exempt” Status

AJG-P21 Manager briefed the NCEPT on potential changes to the “Exempt” status for certain facilities to facilitate the movement of employees to higher level facilities. The NCEPT is considering the proposal and will advise before the next NCEPT selection meeting on concurrence.

What did this mean in the NCEPT minutes?

Changes to Facility “Exempt” Status

AJG-P21 Manager briefed the NCEPT on potential changes to the “Exempt” status for certain facilities to facilitate the movement of employees to higher level facilities. The NCEPT is considering the proposal and will advise before the next NCEPT selection meeting on concurrence.

Also, I was told that there would be a new change coming up for us poor sucker lower level facilities. If you are a level 6 and below and want to move to a level 8 and above (DUH) they will allow that level 6 and below to go one below the national average. That was supposed to happen on this last round (DEC '16). Has that happened? Almost everybody at my facility is trying to move on. If we can only release one at a time that just makes it so hopeless. This ERR MOU needs to be changed immediately OR at least start staffing the lower level facilities to 150%! Get us moving up faster.

You started this rumor here a month ago and I was hoping it was legitimate. I think you answered your own question.

You started this rumor here a month ago and I was hoping it was legitimate. I think you answered your own question.

Fair enough. I asked my rep what the status was on that. He said our RVP said this:
The agency is hesitant on going one below the national average with small facilities (which in my opinion is absolutely ridiculous) NATCA in turn informed them that they needed to do something because there is no career progression and things need to be changed. They then discussed over staffing small facilities above 100%. There still is no final decision on what change will be made to help us with career progression. This was all put out on the Eastern Region Rep TELCON.
Let me say this, if any of you guys believe in prayer, start praying hard for a change for the better and that things will improve. I've actually thought about quitting the union and it breaks my heart in a way.

IMHO, the minutes are written implying that small facilities will still let someone leave if they are Cat I or Cat II (Exempt).

It would be nice if they would "overstaff" smaller facilities as you mentioned, and that needs to happen. The smaller your staffing number is, the higher your chances of being "exempt" without anyone in the pipeline to get the AOB number high enough to actually release someone.

It seems that NATCA/FAA are finally realizing this, over a year after starting this nonsense.

It's great to overstaff facilities but I'm pretty sure that was the plan all along. I heard anywhere from 110%-120%. That's all well and good but that doesn't solve anything. ESPECIALLY in the short term. So the one below thing AND the overstaffing, well then there would be progress.

I know it's a long stretch as every situation is different, but if they're talking about overstaffing lower level facilities, why not look at the # of dev's before each panel that are expected to certify within the next 3 or 6 months and make a determination to allow x amount of cpc's to transfer out. That way you keep a flow going to the higher level fac's and don't hinder staffing too abruptly at the losing fac.

Fair enough. I asked my rep what the status was on that. He said our RVP said this:
The agency is hesitant on going one below the national average with small facilities (which in my opinion is absolutely ridiculous) NATCA in turn informed them that they needed to do something because there is no career progression and things need to be changed. They then discussed over staffing small facilities above 100%. There still is no final decision on what change will be made to help us with career progression. This was all put out on the Eastern Region Rep TELCON.
Let me say this, if any of you guys believe in prayer, start praying hard for a change for the better and that things will improve. I've actually thought about quitting the union and it breaks my heart in a way.
They've been talking about this for a year now, when they realized the core concept completely failed at certain levels (which was entirely predictable, I might add). In person I've heard "we don't how we're going to fix this", and I believe it was mentioned at the convention as well, but I don't remember for certain.

So, they'll keep patching on "fixes" every time it fails. And because it is a fundamentally flawed process, it will keep failing, and the process will become a bloated mess that no one understands how it got to be so bad. Did anyone notice the "exceptions" mentioned in the minutes? 2 CPC's had different rules applied to them than the rest of the FAA. Constantly changing criteria, and not even applied uniformly.

Did anyone notice the "exceptions" mentioned in the minutes? 2 CPC's had different rules applied to them than the rest of the FAA. Constantly changing criteria, and not even applied uniformly.

I'm curious about that. Those two controllers got selected for TEB. They let TEB use the "7 and under" rule to let them accept people that would take them above the national staffing average? (I'm not sure I fully get what that section was saying.)

Haven't other facilities been allowed people that will take them above the national average?

I'm curious about that. Those two controllers got selected for TEB. They let TEB use the "7 and under" rule to let them accept people that would take them above the national staffing average? (I'm not sure I fully get what that section was saying.)

Haven't other facilities been allowed people that will take them above the national average?
They've been talking about this for a year now, when they realized the core concept completely failed at certain levels (which was entirely predictable, I might add). In person I've heard "we don't how we're going to fix this", and I believe it was mentioned at the convention as well, but I don't remember for certain.

So, they'll keep patching on "fixes" every time it fails. And because it is a fundamentally flawed process, it will keep failing, and the process will become a bloated mess that no one understands how it got to be so bad. Did anyone notice the "exceptions" mentioned in the minutes? 2 CPC's had different rules applied to them than the rest of the FAA. Constantly changing criteria, and not even applied uniformly.

Very interesting and unfair. Same with Supervisor bids getting waivers. Like I keep telling people at my facility and myself. Keep applying because the FAA could suddenly change their minds. I'm praying for everybody here. Be thankful for what you have, however, keep fighting what is wrong.

Those aren't common from what I've seen. If the gaining supervisor staffing is more than your losing controller staffing, the waiver won't be approved.
The sad part is they're incredibly common. In the last 5 months, 122 deviations have been approved, 85 have been disapproved. I have the monthly breakdown if anyone is interested. To me, this is absolutely disgusting. Considering CPC's outnumber FLM's by roughly 6 to 1. The ERR MOU has now created an unequal playing field. I do not have the total number of deviations from January-July of 2016 but if it was consistent with Aug-Dec, you're looking at a damn near 1:1 ratio of CPC's getting picked up through an ERR and CPC's leaving for management jobs.
1. CPC's electing to become FLM's are selected continuously throughout the year and are not tied to an every quarter scenario.
2. CPC's electing to become FLM's can be given deviations (and the stats above show the majority are granted the deviation) so they are not tied to the same staffing constraints as the rest of us.
3. The 122 number above only takes into account the deviations. Lets say you're a small level facility and can release one person at the next NCEPT, but ohh wait, before the next panel one of your CPC's get's selected to be an FLM. He immediately takes that available spot and your facility is now ineligible. Or... what if one controller wants to become an FLM so he continually puts in ERR's to top facilities in need to block anyone else from leaving, signs the TOL with no intention of going and continues to bid FLM jobs until he gets selected (that happened.)
4. Each CPC that becomes an FLM and is selected this way takes away a spot from a CPC down the line in the ERR process.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom