Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-20-ALLSRCE-65607

not necessarily. Not a lot of people got the chance to test. A LOT of people’s tests were cancelled (mine included, but I rescheduled and drove 6 hours to take it somewhere else) so it’s a very small applicant pool. Also, not everyone got referred (a handful of plain Qualified’s have said they were not referred that took the test during this window). AND who knows how many BQ’s there are! There might not be many and they’ll have to dip into the WQ band. We just don’t know! It’ll be interesting to see.

I’m OTS and p2-qualified-referred as of yesterday

I know there's a debate about CTI schools helping or not but do they ever advertise that you'll do better in academy with statistics?
Seems like an easy way to bring applicants in.
When I went through in 2017, CAMI was looking at OTS vs CTI and accumulating data for the success rates of each group. Anecdotally, a CTI degree doesn’t mean a damn thing. I had a classmate with an Embry-Riddle ATC Degree fail, and We had people with no aviation background pass the class. If I remember correctly 3/7 CTI grads passed, and 8/11 OTS. Obviously a small sample size, but I don’t think it gives people a real leg up.

I know there's a debate about CTI schools helping or not but do they ever advertise that you'll do better in academy with statistics?
Seems like an easy way to bring applicants in.
I think the biggest selling point, especially as hiring decreases as planned, is that your chances are better of being selected if you are Pool 1 (assuming you score well on the ATSA).

I would say CTI gives you the advantage of experience with the material and if taken advantage of makes one's chances of passing the Academy a lot higher. The problem is the experience means nothing if you get nervous and throw your evals or don't work hard to be as proficient as you need to be.

When I went through in 2017, CAMI was looking at OTS vs CTI and accumulating data for the success rates of each group. Anecdotally, a CTI degree doesn’t mean a damn thing. I had a classmate with an Embry-Riddle ATC Degree fail, and We had people with no aviation background pass the class. If I remember correctly 3/7 CTI grads passed, and 8/11 OTS. Obviously a small sample size, but I don’t think it gives people a real leg up.
Back when CTI school were at their peak some had labs that were nicer than the academy. Others barely taught you anything. There was a proposed hiring plan where the faa was going to hire people from the good CTI schools with priority. But that was shelved for the BQ which I failed 3 times. :)

Yeah I get the draw of being in Pool 1 but going to school for 2 years and dropping 10K+ seems like a waste of time/money when you can just go to a regular college and try to get in as a Pool 2 on the side... this topic has been beaten to death but I'd just actively dissuade people from getting a CTI degree then.

I remember that an instructor for a CTI posted on this forum a super long time ago and said that it depends on which school you go to though, one in particular had a 90%+ pass rate for academy if you got past the ATSA

Back when CTI school were at their peak some had labs that were nicer than the academy. Others barely taught you anything. There was a proposed hiring plan where the faa was going to hire people from the good CTI schools with priority. But that was shelved for the BQ which I failed 3 times. :)

Your life is a Shakespearean level tragedy the more I learn about it

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope this isn't a stupid question. Is the whole hiring selection based off of the ATSA alone? Do they not look at your prior education or experience even after being referred over?

Good afternoon all,

I figured I would ask again since I have gotten very little information after nearly two hours on the phone with PSI/FAA.

My status changed to "Not Referred" on USAJobs right around when everyone started hearing back about their exam. Perhaps my reading comprehension leaves something to be desired, but the message below my referred status (see attached) seems to imply that I never took my ATSA (which I definitely did, and PSI confirmed as much). I have seen "Not Referred" messages from past bids state more bluntly that "A list of applicants has been sent to the office with this announcement. Your application was not included at this time." For that reason, I am holding on to hope that this is just some kerfuffle, and wanted to see if anyone else on here was having a similar experience.Not referred.png

Good afternoon all,

I figured I would ask again since I have gotten very little information after nearly two hours on the phone with PSI/FAA.

My status changed to "Not Referred" on USAJobs right around when everyone started hearing back about their exam. Perhaps my reading comprehension leaves something to be desired, but the message below my referred status (see attached) seems to imply that I never took my ATSA (which I definitely did, and PSI confirmed as much). I have seen "Not Referred" messages from past bids state more bluntly that "A list of applicants has been sent to the office with this announcement. Your application was not included at this time." For that reason, I am holding on to hope that this is just some kerfuffle, and wanted to see if anyone else on here was having a similar experience.View attachment 4046
I haven't heard of this, but if you've been on the phone with FAA HR a few times, what answers are they giving you? Obviously you know that you took the exam, and can semi prove that via PSI. If they're telling you "You haven't taken it" then I would ask to speak to the supervisor (or whomever is above that person and simply explain the situation to that point. I have found that sometimes HR can be stubborn, and refusing to help because of a blanket statement. Good luck!

Good afternoon all,

My status changed to "Not Referred" on USAJobs right around when everyone started hearing back about their exam. Perhaps my reading comprehension leaves something to be desired, but the message below my referred status (see attached) seems to imply that I never took my ATSA (which I definitely did, and PSI confirmed as much). I have seen "Not Referred" messages from past bids state more bluntly that "A list of applicants has been sent to the office with this announcement. Your application was not included at this time." For that reason, I am holding on to hope that this is just some kerfuffle, and wanted to see if anyone else on here was having a similar experience.View attachment 4046
You need to call aviation careers. Don't let them not give an answer. Ask to speak to higher ups if needed.

Back
Top Bottom