Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-21-ALLSRCE-73599

Just got an email with a start date of 10/26 basics and projected in person of 12/1!!! But I'm confused because its for TRACON. I thought new hires weren't being placed in TRACONs, and does that also mean I'll be going to N90 for certain? I know they're hurting for people bad as are a bunch of other big TRACONs, or so I've heard. Some insight on this would be helpful!!
Where are you from? I know a lot of people from upstate and Long Island get TRACON

I'm sure the level 12 pay will more than compensate for my dislike of the extremely "urban" area lol
Good luck, if you even make it to CPC pay there. Housing is gonna eat up most of your money. Expect to pay $2000+ rent for one bedroom, $600k+ for a small house in an okay neighborhood. People talk about $16k property taxes like it's normal.

Good luck, if you even make it to CPC pay there. Housing is gonna eat up most of your money. Expect to pay $2000+ rent for one bedroom, $600k+ for a small house in an okay neighborhood. People talk about $16k property taxes like it's normal.
Yeah I know. I'm used to it though its not much better here in Buffalo. I'm transferring to somewhere else the first chance I get!

You won’t be transferring out of zny or n90 for 10 years
Could be worse. Its really not a big deal I should be happy that for now it appears I'll be stationed about 7 hours from home. My sister takes several trips out there a year just to visit. I'm just not a big fan of the Big Apple. I know this is what I signed up for and I'm ready. Being a controller is my dream and I can't believe this is actually happening!!! ?

Last edited:
If you have 10/18 basics 11/22 Tracon academy dates please join the air traffic controller discord and put your dates there so you can join the group chat with everyone with those dates. Trying to get everyone in the same chat!

Just got an email with a start date of 10/26 basics and projected in person of 12/1!!! But I'm confused because its for TRACON. I thought new hires weren't being placed in TRACONs, and does that also mean I'll be going to N90 for certain? I know they're hurting for people bad as are a bunch of other big TRACONs, or so I've heard. Some insight on this would be helpful!!
I also got these dates and classes. Coming all the way from Houston TX. Big difference in Cost of Living. Going to be tough but I believe I'm ready. I posted on r/ATC as well if you wanted to join that conversation.

If you have 10/18 basics 11/22 Tracon academy dates please join the air traffic controller discord and put your dates there so you can join the group chat with everyone with those dates. Trying to get everyone in the same chat!
Do you have a link?

I also got these dates and classes. Coming all the way from Houston TX. Big difference in Cost of Living. Going to be tough but I believe I'm ready. I posted on r/ATC as well if you wanted to join that conversation.
is your assignment of en route, terminal, or tracon completely random or does your atsa test score have something to do with it?

is your assignment of en route, terminal, or tracon completely random or does your atsa test score have something to do with it?
My email said specifically TRACON which is classified as terminal but at a TRACON only facility you are not connected to a tower at all. Just a radar room. My HR rep said I've been assigned to N90 New York TRACON. I have no idea if ATSA had anything to do with it. I scored well qualified on pool 2.

Have you switched jobs at all during this time?

I had anxiety and depression in high school, I’m 24 now. I was also prescribed a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor from the age of 16 to the age of 17 by a pediatrician. Is that something that would seriously derail or delay me?
yes. I had kidney stones when I was 15 and I'm almost 25 now. I just got put through the ringer trying to prove to them that I haven't had any since. Medical records, discharge papers, and I had to pay out of pocket for an ultrasound.... insane. That was when I cleared my medical in July. just got an email today saying I cleared my medical

My email said specifically TRACON which is classified as terminal but at a TRACON only facility you are not connected to a tower at all. Just a radar room. My HR rep said I've been assigned to N90 New York TRACON. I have no idea if ATSA had anything to do with it. I scored well qualified on pool 2.
I don't think atsa has anything to do with it but I will note that I was WQ pool 2 as well. I'm just still a little confused about getting TRACON. I thought ots new hires werent gonna be placed in TRACONs because of their difficulty level. And I'm certainly ots. Only thing I have going for me is 10 years of street cred as a line guy at 2 different airports lol but I know that doesn't really mean much in the eyes of the FAA.

I don't think atsa has anything to do with it but I will note that I was WQ pool 2 as well. I'm just still a little confused about getting TRACON. I thought ots new hires werent gonna be placed in TRACONs because of their difficulty level. And I'm certainly ots. Only thing I have going for me is 10 years of street cred as a line guy at 2 different airports lol but I know that doesn't really mean much in the eyes of the FAA.
You know that scene in enemy at the gates where the soldiers are getting a rifle or a clip of bullets, and the commissar is yelling at them to pick up what they need from the dead soldiers? That's the inspiration behind the FAA staffing N90. Here's your bullets.

5c583e5815e9f9309514373a.jpg

You know that scene in enemy at the gates where the soldiers are getting a rifle or a clip of bullets, and the commissar is yelling at them to pick up what they need from the dead soldiers? That's the inspiration behind the FAA staffing N90. Here's your bullets.

View attachment 8005
Sounds legit. I know N90 needs workers bad!! The cavalry is coming folks! The cavalry is coming.

yes. I had kidney stones when I was 15 and I'm almost 25 now. I just got put through the ringer trying to prove to them that I haven't had any since. Medical records, discharge papers, and I had to pay out of pocket for an ultrasound.... insane. That was when I cleared my medical in July. just got an email today saying I cleared my medical
How long have you been waiting to clear?

yes. I had kidney stones when I was 15 and I'm almost 25 now. I just got put through the wringer trying to prove to them that I haven't had any since. Medical records, discharge papers, and I had to pay out of pocket for an ultrasound.... insane. That was when I cleared my medical in July. just got an email today saying I cleared my medical
First I’ve heard of someone being sent through the wringer for kidney stones (10 years ago nonetheless). Good on you for sticking it out, I’m not sure I’d have the same resolve if I got the third degree for something that insignificant

Back
Top Bottom