Hiring Bid FAA-ATO-21-ALLSRCE-73599

This was just to attend the academy for basics and in OKC. Won’t know the facility until I pass the academy, but it will be a Z.
Maybe you can join the party with us "TRACONers" down in NYC and get stationed in ZNY ? the ARTCC is only about 40 minutes away from N90.

Last edited:
Maybe you can join the party with us "TRACONers" down in NYC and get stationed in ZNY ? the ARTCC is only about 40 minutes away from N90.
Nothing against you and I don’t know if I should say this in fear of pissing off the FAA list gods, but I’d prefer not to end up in ZNY?

So how do the other standalone TRACONs recruit people if those on the Terminal track are limited to level 7s and occasionally 8s even if its an up/down facility, and the TRACON track is N90 only? I know some some of them are short staffed as well, not as bad as N90 obviously. But still, how would they recruit new controllers? They can't possibly be relying on previous experience and cpc transfers to fill their staffing needs while the busiest TRACON in the country gets all the ots new hires, right? That just seems odd.

So how do the other standalone TRACONs recruit people if those on the Terminal track are limited to level 7s and occasionally 8s even if its an up/down facility, and the TRACON track is N90 only? I know some some of them are short staffed as well, not as bad as N90 obviously. But still, how would they recruit new controllers? They can't possibly be relying on previous experience and cpc transfers to fill their staffing needs while the busiest tracon in the country gets all the ots new hires, right? That just seems odd.
I think a lot of them, like C90 for example, get their own bids on usajobs for current controllers to apply to or people just ERR, etc. and end up there once they CPC.

I think a lot of them, like C90 for example, get their own bids on usajobs for current controllers to apply to or people just ERR, etc. and end up there once they CPC.
Pretty sure only C90, A80, and N90 have their own bids. Everyone relies on CPC transfers and some prior experience hires. And since NCEPT high level tracons have been getting mostly low level transfers... which means they have to go back to OKC for TSEW and TETRA (sometimes RTF as well) and generally take longer to train because of the lack of radar experience. Thus making the lack of staffing worse because it takes longer to certify, if they certify.

Gotcha. Also, for those that have long since graduated at the academy and relocated to their assigned facility. What's the process like? I know we have 1-4 days typically for travel, plus I heard 64 hours of change of station leave pending ATM approval. Does that mean an additional 8 days assuming that's broken down to 8 hour workdays? And they must reimburse for making someone pack up their family and belongings, and trying to find a place wherever they gotta go, right? I know the cpc n90 bid said $27000, is that the same for new hires and for all facilities? I live in Buffalo so it would be a hop from one end of the state to another, but not cross country or anything.

Sorry for the question overload, I just want an idea of what to expect when the time comes and I can't find much information on this topic, actually moving to your facility after OKC.

Gotcha. Also, for those that have long since graduated at the academy and relocated to their assigned facility. What's the process like? I know we have 1-4 days typically for travel, plus I heard 64 hours of change of station leave pending ATM approval. Does that mean an additional 8 days assuming that's broken down to 8 hour workdays? And they must reimburse for making someone pack up their family and belongings, and trying to find a place wherever they gotta go, right? I know the cpc n90 bid said $27000, is that the same for new hires and for all facilities? I live in Buffalo so it would be a hop from one end of the state to another, but not cross country or anything.

Sorry for the question overload, I just want an idea of what to expect when the time comes and I can't find much information on this topic, actually moving to your facility after OKC.
Moving expenses are not reimbursed. It is at your own cost.

When you graduate from the academy they give you a crisp high five and say good luck out there.

Moving expenses are not reimbursed. It is at your own cost.
Damn.. Oh well it is what it is. Again could be worse I'm not even leaving my state. And nothing's gonna stop me from living my dream. I do feel bad for those that really have to travel far though.
When you graduate from the academy they give you a crisp high five and say good luck out there.
"Crisp" high five eh? That's better than one of those half assed sorta missed limp high fives. When you say "crisp" is like in the beginning of Pushing Tin when Nick Falzone is working arrivals for Newark and one of the sups slides him one and goes "I'll be damned!" ???

Last edited:
Damn.. Oh well it is what it is. Again could be worse I'm not even leaving my state. And nothing's gonna stop me from living my dream. I do feel bad for those that really have to travel far though.

"Crisp" high five eh? That's better than one of those half assed sorta missed limp high fives. When you say "crisp" is like in the beginning of Pushing Tin when Nick Falzone is working arrivals for Newark and one of the sups slides him one and goes "I'll be damned!" ???
Lol, I got chosen for n90… guess where I’m from… north Mississippi. Those people from New York are gonna think I’m crazy with my accent.

Lol, I got chosen for n90… guess where I’m from… north Mississippi. Those people from New York are gonna think I’m crazy with my accent.
Thats ok, I've been told new yorkers, especially us Buffalonians pronounce our "A"s really weird. You can be the judge. And I got just got my FOL!! It didn't say anything about N90 though. Weird. But I'm just going to assume thats where I'm going. My girlfriend and I are taking a weekend trip down to NYC in a couple weeks to explore and get a lay of the land before I go to OKC. Are in the TRACON class with 10/26 basics and 12/1 OKC?

Last edited:
I completed my MMPI in the beginning of July. They reached out at the end of July inquiring for some additional documents for the flight surgeon. I haven’t heard anything back since. Is this common, or should I reach out? I do have some health issues, so that could be contributing as well.

I completed my MMPI in the beginning of July. They reached out at the end of July inquiring for some additional documents for the flight surgeon. I haven’t heard anything back since. Is this common, or should I reach out? I do have some health issues, so that could be contributing as well.
You will likely need some special considerations (ie... waivers), this is your career, never be afraid to reach out and see what they need next.

What region are you in?

Back
Top Bottom