Government shutdown

This. Also does anyone know how this effects the academy?

Again, sequestration cuts are what you guys are referencing. Not the government shutdown. The shutdown was all paid for with no leave used. For the sequestration furlough that most people, including myself, got one day of was only compensated if you opted to trade 8 hours of annual leave.

White House Supports Back Pay for Feds Who Would Be Furloughed During Shutdown

There's support for backpay on all levels, house, Senate, and the Whitehouse.

For me personally, I have zero intention of turning in any leave.

Enjoy your Uncle Sam free vacation and go explore that new city.
I also have zero interest of turning in leave, have a guy from work texting me left and right about how I'm going to loose out because we won't get back pay. I told him to enjoy being at work while I get paid to be at home. Wonder if his undying love for the union has anything to do with his pressure on me to come in.

To clarify all of this, Sequestration (Early 2013) is different from the whole government shutdown (October 1-16, 2013).

In Sequestration, you had the ability to convert LWOP to annual for the day missed due to furlough.

The Government shutdown, identical to where we are now, gave all government employees backpay regardless of essential/non essential status and what leave you had previously been approved.

Last edited:
Again, sequestration cuts are what you guys are referencing. Not the government shutdown. The shutdown was all paid for with no leave used. For the sequestration furlough that most people, including myself, got one day of was only compensated if you opted to trade 8 hours of annual leave.
I didn't even get a furlough day during sequestration.

It only lasted a few days due to delays in the NAS. Our facility only had three affected.

Edit: I shouldn’t have said most people lol.

Last edited:
I admit I'm ignorant with government procedures. I start academy on the 31st. What effect should I expect?
If the government isn't funded by then expect delays in starting.

If it's not funded after about a week or two honestly they'll be playing catch up for a bit I bet.

If the government isn't funded by then expect delays in starting.

If it's not funded after about a week or two honestly they'll be playing catch up for a bit I bet.

A buddy of mine has a friend there and they are getting sent home if its not funded by Monday. They also made it sound like if its shut down for any extended period of time they are going to have to just restart all the classes in progress now, but that is just speculation so take it with a grain of salt.

They also made it sound like if its shut down for any extended period of time they are going to have to just restart all the classes in progress now
That would be correct. If the students get sent home, I don't see any way around just starting the class over. If they were to just pick up where they left off it wouldn't be fair to the students.

Wait what. We were told that we’d just pick up where we are at with maybe an extra day or two for review. Nothing was said about being sent home. This was Friday though. There are probably 16 en route classes and 6 terminal classes in progress. I don’t see any way they will just throw that all out.

Wait what. We were told that we’d just pick up where we are at with maybe an extra day or two for review. Nothing was said about being sent home. This was Friday though. There are probably 16 en route classes and 6 terminal classes in progress. I don’t see any way they will just throw that all out.
You haven't worked for the government for long. They do the most bizarre things that make no sense at all.

I don't expect the Academy people on Monday morning to tell the students to all go home. If there's the ability to compress the schedule to make up tower and enroute lab runs, I think that's the option they'd try for.
But I'm sure they've got a planned number of days where they'll say, "the shutdown has lasted X days, you're going home." At that point, when you do get to come back I'd imagine you'd have to restart whichever class you're in.

So correct me if I'm wrong because I was just told this by my supe. I go on annual leave next week Sunday. Obviously, I am advised that my leave is cancelled because I am essential. What I was just told is that once you are on "voluntary furlough," you cannot come back to work until the shutdown is lifted. You are also allowed X number of days/hours of LWOP before your benefits are effected. Is that legit and I'm a rube for believing otherwise, or is my supe wrong? I was under the impression that you were "furloughed" for the duration of your leave and then came off furlough at the conclusion of your leave. Thanks in advance!

Can’t be on leave. You can only be at work or on furlough. I don’t remember the exact hours for LWOP but it’s a decent amount. But being on furlough isn’t the same as LWOP.

The leave thing I don’t think is correct but I’m not 100% sure. You can still work your normal schedule, so I don’t know why you “wouldn’t be able to come back”.

Can’t be on leave. You can only be at work or on furlough. I don’t remember the exact hours for LWOP but it’s a decent amount. But being on furlough isn’t the same as LWOP.

The leave thing I don’t think is correct but I’m not 100% sure. You can still work your normal schedule, so I don’t know why you “wouldn’t be able to come back”.
Thanks MJ! Seemed weird to me so I contacted my RVP and got it straightened out! What weirded me out was the "you can't come back until it's sorted" statement. But, as I'm sure most people can attest, there is very little official FAA info out there right now.

Thanks MJ! Seemed weird to me so I contacted my RVP and got it straightened out! What weirded me out was the "you can't come back until it's sorted" statement. But, as I'm sure most people can attest, there is very little official FAA info out there right now.
Yeah it's always a mess. What did the RVP say? I'm sure others have the same question.

Back
Top Bottom