Government shutdown

Just read that the budget made it through Congress and will arrive at the president’s desk. Funding is through February 8.

Does anyone know what the net effect on the academy was? Did anything get moved back or do the current classes just have to make up for time?

Does anyone know what the net effect on the academy was? Did anything get moved back or do the current classes just have to make up for time?
With only one day of shutdown, it'll just be made up in the schedule for the Air Traffic classes.
Other areas of the academy did have classes canceled.

We're in basics and everything got pushed back a day but as far as we know our graduation date did not change.

It’s not unusual for classes to lose a day or two for whatever reason. It’s not a big deal.

Does not compute. Are they compressing the remaining lessons to fit into fewer days?
Yes. I remember Academy academics as being very drawn out. Lessons that could take 2 hours were scheduled to take 5.
My tower class lost a couple days during the simulator portion. Instead of doing 7 runs/day, we shortened each run by about 5 minutes and lost some break time to build in enough time to do 8 runs/day. So to make up the seven missed runs from the lost day, it takes 7 days of a compressed schedule to get back on track.

I’m pretty sure I’m in the right by this, but just to check:

I took spot leave last Saturday and am being told by management that it will be coded as annual leave and will be deducted from my leave balance. I was under the impression that all leave during the furlough was furlough leave, even leave requested by the employee during it, and the bill ending the furlough should pay us for that furlough time without any leave balance deduction. Who’s right here?

I’m pretty sure I’m in the right by this, but just to check:

I took spot leave last Saturday and am being told by management that it will be coded as annual leave and will be deducted from my leave balance. I was under the impression that all leave during the furlough was furlough leave, even leave requested by the employee during it, and the bill ending the furlough should pay us for that furlough time without any leave balance deduction. Who’s right here?
you cant be on leave during shutdown. you are on duty, or on furlough.

Exactly, so I should be reimbursed for that furlough time as all furlough taken (voluntary or involuntary) is being paid out.

Exactly, so I should be reimbursed for that furlough time as all furlough taken (voluntary or involuntary) is being paid out.

The Souther region RVP sent out an email saying that the FAA will be placing employees that had leave on 1/20 (Saturday) into paid status without charge to their leave. So you're right. Management shouldn't be placing you on annual. The email also said this will be done automatically, but maybe bring this up to your facrep so he can speak with management.

Here's the OPM memo on how pay is handled for this shutdown, in case anyone runs into problems.

Attachments

• Furlough Memo.pdf
    117.8 KB · Views: 34
my furlough for saturday got charged (and paid) as the previously approved Annual

While I was happy to not have a shorted paycheck, with back-pay for furlough to be eventually be paid at some later date, I could just as easily see this being viewed as an over-payment, the money taken back, then given back from the back-pay (makes all sorts of gov't sense)...meanwhile not restoring me my 8 hours of AL.

fuck it, whatever, I'll mention it to my ATM tomorrow.

A buddy found this in an article referencing the shutdown and furloughed employees. I was also charged Annual for Saturday and hope it was just to ensure proper pay as indicated below.

“Employees may be required to code furlough time as regular duty to ensure that they are paid properly and promptly.

In addition, agencies must adjust leave accounts for furloughed federal employees and recredit any lost time during the lapse in appropriations“

Yup, asked my ATM about it today, he said they were told to code it as Annual for pay, and now they're adjusting it to Excused, so I should see leave go back into my balance...yeeehaww

Back
Top Bottom