Having Trouble Seeing from the D-Side

The answer to this is theorietically very simple, but realistically clouded by many esoteric factors like the institutional hazing of new trainees and egos.

Its extremely black and white and obvious that if ANY individuals - from the most noob annoying trainee to the crusty 30 year vet - ability to function properly as part of the radar team is diminished, the settings must be adjusted to a level that is workable by both.

In reality, if you do not navigate this potential minefield with tact and diplomacy, you may end up alienating some of your trainers or the important old vets whose blessing you will need to ultimately certify. If you ask nicely and give them (for better or worse) some deference and show appreciation for the R side working w you then I think all will be well.

That said, there will always be a couple assholes in each area whose world is coming to an end over forcing them to do anything thats not in their set routine/bubble for the past 30 years. Drive to work...get coffee...sign in area and open ___ sectors... take break... order bagel sandwhich... read entire newspaper like 75 year old... spend 8 mins 45 seconds in the bathroom... check tinder, text mistresses, call wife, play 4 games of cribbage, back to the bathroom.... get paged back to area.... cuss out sup and go back for another card game out of defiance... get paged again... leave game angry... sign back in to area... snark the sup, sigh a lot.... refuse to work D side (skills are way above that).... sign in the rdar.... new trainee "excuse me sir, I cant see your data blocks"..... RAGEEEE RAHHHHHHH.

stir, rinse, repeat. retire. die. RIP.

giphy.gif
You forgot watch Price is Right between 1115-1200. Some facilities are lucky enough to have it blacked out now since Directv is in a contract war with that channel in some markets.

You forgot watch Price is Right between 1115-1200. Some facilities are lucky enough to have it blacked out now since Directv is in a contract war with that channel in some markets.

True but i was only detailing the opening session of the day!! Price is right is after session 2 or 3 :rofl: . Although if someone is asked to change their settings they might bang out and not even make it to the Show case Showdown

Trying to see some peeps settings be like...

giphy.gif

Get glasses I had the same.issue I only wear them when I'm on the d side. For me I had a slight curve in my vision never noticed it until I started at my facility

You need to adapt and overcome your problem, if your R-side is deliberately making things so you can't see them, sit uncomfortably close to him after eating Funions, stand behind him and loudly mouth-breath on his neck. I'm sure after a time he will come around to being more amiable to making the datablocks a tad bigger.

You need to adapt and overcome your problem, if your R-side is deliberately making things so you can't see them, sit uncomfortably close to him after eating Funions, stand behind him and loudly mouth-breath on his neck. I'm sure after a time he will come around to being more amiable to making the datablocks a tad bigger.

This sounds like a good way to make people hate you, and possibly even unplug you!

Its extremely black and white and obvious that if ANY individuals - from the most noob annoying trainee to the crusty 30 year vet - ability to function properly as part of the radar team is diminished, the settings must be adjusted to a level that is workable by both.

Reference is 7110.65 2–10–1 subpara c1(j), for those of you following along at home! ;)

Have a guy in my area that works with probably the dimmest possible settings and doesn't use vector lines making visualizing point outs etc a lot harder. If I'm on his d side I just ask him to turn it up to where I can see easier if we are busy. He always agrees and will turn it up. When I was training on my first two d sides I sat next to him regularly but was too scared to say anything. It is easy to forget that the viewing angle isn't great and your preferred settings might not work for someone sitting 2-3 ft to your right or left.

You'll get over that fear quickly and IMO people will respect you more when you are confident enough to tell them you can't see and if they want your help they need to make the scope more visible.

Back
Top Bottom