Holding Controllers Accountable

Offset to the right for FDX would have been an excellent start.
Any reason for the right? I’d probably offset to the left so as to not overfly the terminal environment at low level in heavy IFR. “FedEx go around left side when able turn left heading XXX maintain XXX, SW fly runway heading” or something of that nature. But again, also if I can’t see my departure to ensure they’re moving expeditiously, I’m not giving a clearance.

Any reason for the right? I’d probably offset to the left so as to not overfly the terminal environment at low level in heavy IFR. “FedEx go around left side when able turn left heading XXX maintain XXX, SW fly runway heading” or something of that nature. But again, also if I can’t see my departure to ensure they’re moving expeditiously, I’m not giving a clearance.
Any sort of turn for FDX would have been preferred, granted that is me not knowing how high the terminal building is in AUS.

How bout just setting up vertical. The FDX was 1000 above him like right away.

Does the tower radar not have any sort of conflict alert?

Close in and low it’s not always great at acquiring targets. The vas video shows the fdx dropping off, and only starting to acquire the targets as they come off the airport and climb. Both planes being So low that the radar can’t even acquire and track them shows just how ugly and close it was. It seems the radar has issues tracking them because they are over the top of eachother and it’s trying to decide if it’s one target or 2, you can see how they bounce in and out before acquiring

Last edited:
To be fair, I’ve worked with controllers who become explosive at the slightest increase in traffic or wrongdoing and frankly they’re difficult to work with. Having to un-key clearances or mid transmission because they un-key and let off outbursts “fuck this … what the hell are they thinking …” and my personal favorite “NO NO NO STFU and let me speak!!”

So… while you’d expect some increase in urgency in one’s voice on frequency in a situation like that, I’d much rather control alongside someone who was able to remain calm cool and collected in a moment of adversity. Not necessarily saying that was the case here but just an observation from experience.

I’ve also worked and witnessed many incidents: whether that be crashes, loss of life scenarios, incursions, etc, where I or the controller handling the situation remained perfectly calm/monotone in the aftermath. So tone on freq shouldn’t immediately be a red flag.

*devil’s advocate*
I think he forgot the “control” part of his job.

Close in and low it’s not always great at acquiring targets. The vas video shows the fdx dropping off, and only starting to acquire the targets. Both planes being So low that the radar can’t even acquire and track them shows just how ugly and close it was. It seems the radar has issues tracking them because they are over the top of eachother and it’s trying to decide if it’s one target or 2
I wonder if we’ll ever get to see the real playback

Totally within capabilities to verbally ensure vertical separation. Have SW stop their climb and allow FDX to continue to whatever for another approach. But as for conflict alerts, similar to what bandit said, low level over the airport environment you’d be lucky to get a target. Previously I’d have my targets drop off around half a mile or so and wouldn’t repopulate until similar off the departure end. Can’t imagine SW had populated for there to be any sort of conflict alert on the radar. Outside of the immediate airport environment the CA would be going bananas.

Just an observation of mine, but when hearing the audio, I noticed that he sounded like he could barely finish his sentences. Almost like he was sleep deprived or maybe on something. Also, there seemed to be no realization that he almost killed 150 people. No change in his voice or anything, which is why I thought it could've been sleep or on something. But that's just what I noticed, it could be the way he always sounds.
That's because he had it under control the whole time.

Totally within capabilities to verbally ensure vertical separation. Have SW stop their climb and allow FDX to continue to whatever for another approach. But as for conflict alerts, similar to what bandit said, low level over the airport environment you’d be lucky to get a target. Previously I’d have my targets drop off around half a mile or so and wouldn’t repopulate until similar off the departure end. Can’t imagine SW had populated for there to be any sort of conflict alert on the radar. Outside of the immediate airport environment the CA would be going bananas.
Someone said the ODP goes to 4 and he climbed the FedEx to 3

Didn't know where the terminal was but appeared SWA went left. Either left or right ideally whatever works for the setup they have was my initial point. That and capping.

You can't pry apart what you can't see. Did one of yall really say to issue a traffic alert? Seriously?
Don’t believe that was said. We were discussing conflict alerts on the radar display. The issue being you likely couldn’t physically see the incident unfolding and radar targets likely dropped off so you really have no visual whatsoever. Just two aircraft over the runway at the same time.

Didn't know where the terminal was but appeared SWA went left. Either left or right ideally whatever works for the setup they have was my initial point. That and capping.
Yeah the controller instructed SW to turn right to which SW responded “negative.” So either lack of aircraft capability in departure climb and/or situational awareness in the terminal environment being to the right.

Yeah the controller instructed SW to turn right to which SW responded “negative.” So either lack of aircraft capability in departure climb and/or situational awareness in the terminal environment being to the right.
No. The controller said “turn right” because he believed southwest had aborted takeoff. He was telling southwest to “turn right when able” meaning exit the runway when able.

No. The controller said “turn right” because he believed southwest had aborted takeoff. He was telling southwest to “turn right when able” meaning exit the runway when able.
Ah I see the situation. FedEx keyed up and simply said “southwest abort” then keyed up again saying “FedEx on the go” then the controller replied “Roger southwest you can turn right when able.”

I can sort of see the confusion by the controller. FedEx didn’t identify themselves when saying southwest abort so in the heat of it, the controller could assume southwest was saying they were aborting and FedEx was going around this thinking the conflict was resolved. “Resolved.” Then it… just got worse. But that’s when the controller told FedEx to climb to 3 and turn left 080 when able.

East to go back and dissect the tapes line by line after the fact but it’s certainly within reason to believe the controller thought southwest said they were aborting in the moment.

Because it would never stop alerting.
My first day in the cab as a trainee I heard the CA sound go off. I asked my trainer what that noise was. He said, "Oh, it just means two planes are about to hit". I stood up wide-eyed, not knowing what to do. He said, "Don't worry, you'll get used to it, it's more annoying than helpful". I remember thinking I was at the worst tower in the country if that was their mentality. 5 years and 2 certs later - he was right, that shit gets old

Back
Top Bottom