How the placement list works

Hi guys! Question: I understand the list and how the graduates pick from the list at the end of the academy. My question is there are approx. 35 spots to choose from. Typically, not everyone graduates. So let's say 10 graduate. Do they select from the 35 choices? What happens to the remaining 25 choices that weren't selected? Are they recycled for the next class to choose from? Or does the list keep on moving?

Hi guys! Question: I understand the list and how the graduates pick from the list at the end of the academy. My question is there are approx. 35 spots to choose from. Typically, not everyone graduates. So let's say 10 graduate. Do they select from the 35 choices? What happens to the remaining 25 choices that weren't selected? Are they recycled for the next class to choose from? Or does the list keep on moving?

They give students a list about a week before they finish, in which they offer 2 slots for each person in the class (18 people gives 36 options). They then knock the lowest two off for each person that fails. So if only 10 people pass, only the top 20 facilities would actually be offered to students. Any facilities that are not chosen are then recycled for the next class (assuming no one hardships to one of those facilities, or a mass exodus of people from another facility doesn't push it higher on the list).

They give students a list about a week before they finish, in which they offer 2 slots for each person in the class (18 people gives 36 options). They then knock the lowest two off for each person that fails. So if only 10 people pass, only the top 20 facilities would actually be offered to students. Any facilities that are not chosen are then recycled for the next class (assuming no one hardships to one of those facilities, or a mass exodus of people from another facility doesn't push it higher on the list).
Thanks so much! This helps!

What exactly determines which facilities are a "top facility"/which ones fall off the list?

*does everyone choose their top 2 facilities and thats how its determined?

What exactly determines which facilities are a "top facility"/which ones fall off the list?

*does everyone choose their top 2 facilities and thats how its determined?

No, people don't just get to choose their facilities like that. They use the priority placement tool to create a list of the most in demand facilities. It attempts to calculate staffing based on current CPCs and projected CPCs (based on incoming personnel, outgoing personnel, and retirements, deaths, etc). Trying to figure out how it comes to some conclusions is hard, but just know that it is used in determining 'need'. Academy personnel will really only be assigned to level 7 and below terminal facilities (enroute people will get a list of centers in need [it could potentially be any center]). Occasionally, a level 8 facility might make it on the list (so far I have only seen Wichita and Oklahoma City). So, they go down the list and typically choose the next highest priority facility at a level 7 or below - some locations might be skipped if there is a training backlog. Also, they typically won't send more than 2 people to the same facility from the same class.

Here is a copy of the terminal placement list:
Terminal Placement list

No, people don't just get to choose their facilities like that. They use the priority placement tool to create a list of the most in demand facilities. It attempts to calculate staffing based on current CPCs and projected CPCs (based on incoming personnel, outgoing personnel, and retirements, deaths, etc). Trying to figure out how it comes to some conclusions is hard, but just know that it is used in determining 'need'. Academy personnel will really only be assigned to level 7 and below terminal facilities (enroute people will get a list of centers in need [it could potentially be any center]). Occasionally, a level 8 facility might make it on the list (so far I have only seen Wichita and Oklahoma City). So, they go down the list and typically choose the next highest priority facility at a level 7 or below - some locations might be skipped if there is a training backlog. Also, they typically won't send more than 2 people to the same facility from the same class.

Here is a copy of the terminal placement list:
Terminal Placement list
Gotcha, I mean did they pick their top 2 based on the list given and that's what determines which facilities fall off the list when people wash out.

But thanks for the info!

No one gets to pick their top 2. The FAA will give a list of facilities to students based on FAA needs. The higher needs facilities will remain on the list when students wash out, lower priorities will fall off the list (then be recycled to the next class). After graduation, students will pick their facility from the remaining list based off class rank.

I know this post is almost 1 year old, I was wondering if anybody can tell how the Reserved for Hardship facilities work. Does the academy graduate get to request to go there under special circumstances? Let’s say baby coming is right around the corner?
Thanks in advance!
Reserved for Hardship spots are reserved for people who have been approved for a hardship, not people at the academy.

Having a baby is not a hardship.

Back
Top Bottom