military experience vs FAA

ohhgeebabyy

I have searched this website far and wide. Is there a way to see what level your military experience would equate to in the FAA world? for example, i am currently at a level 5 FAA facility. Worked contract world before this at a level 4 equivalent. trying to figure out what level my military airports would be out of curiosity.

This isn’t what they’re asking. They’re asking if there’s some formula or something somewhere that says “Eglin AFB = Level 10 up/down equivalent” which I’ve merely only heard rumors of something existing. Never actually seen it.
There is an older PDF from a few years ago (Pre-COVID) floating around that has x military facility equates to x FAA level facility.

MJ even if it’s outdated, can you point us in the direction? Thought I remember seeing somewhere you said you have something of this nature.

Yikes, after looking over those numbers, LAN and DLH are the best options headed my way on a list ?
Keep in mind this is from 2018, for instance EYW ops took a hit this year since they no longer take point-outs for the overheads into NQX due to the initial being 2600 instead of 2500.

Keep in mind this is from 2018, for instance EYW ops took a hit this year since they no longer take point-outs for the overheads into NQX due to the initial being 2600 instead of 2500.
I recall an instance where they denied a point out once for an IFR into NQX and immediate requested a release. Never seen a controller so irate and get pulled of position so fast so as to de-escalate the situation before in my life.

Also, it’s interesting it has HWO as a level 9 equivalent with 180k ops. I believe the following year they did 272k and then around 325k the year after. I can’t seem to figure out how to access FTC numbers on the TCIP anymore. NQX at a 6 approach.. hmm. Not a cakewalk by any means and I’ve seen it get quite hairy given the right circumstances. Midday rush combined with a large recovery and EYW doing EYW things.

I recall an instance where they denied a point out once for an IFR into NQX and immediate requested a release. Never seen a controller so irate and get pulled of position so fast so as to de-escalate the situation before in my life.

Also, it’s interesting it has HWO as a level 9 equivalent with 180k ops. I believe the following year they did 272k and then around 325k the year after. I can’t seem to figure out how to access FTC numbers on the TCIP anymore. NQX at a 6 approach.. hmm. Not a cakewalk by any means and I’ve seen it get quite hairy given the right circumstances. Midday rush combined with a large recovery and EYW doing EYW things.
Sounds like you still work here ?. NQX approach has probably the smallest amount of airspace I have ever worked and its complexity can increase very fast especially on a 26/27 configuration.

Sounds like you still work here ?. NQX approach has probably the smallest amount of airspace I have ever worked and its complexity can increase very fast especially on a 26/27 configuration.
I’ve watched a 737 split down the middle a flight of 2 f18s in the left break on a 26/27 config… “oh fuck…” followed by a moment of silence and then the hornet pilots coming on freq saying “yeah we had delta in sight.” Approach calling upstairs saying delta said he had the fighters in sight. Then a phone call from radar asking wtf we were doing upstairs ?

Them slow Sundays when approach gives you a point out 30 miles in advance will getcha.

Or a king air bouncing in the pattern on 32 and delta on an approach into 27, both with each other in sight no factor but Delta having to respond to TCAS three times on three different attempts before approach asks us to ground the king air for a minute lol

Isn’t this comparison kind of pointless since the base traffic will be mostly within a couple hours a day Monday-friday?

Isn’t this comparison kind of pointless since the base traffic will be mostly within a couple hours a day Monday-friday?
Yeah, for many reasons. Traffic count is already a pretty tenuous direct comparison, then add in things like how they get that count... "Oh I forgot to click this shift. Felt like about 120. (it was 7)" or places like Randolph that claim 400k ops in the tower, while its an RSU with tex2s just in the rectangular pattern for 8 hrs.

Yah it just seems pointless if the person is working higher level traffic every day
I don’t disagree, regardless the data is long out of date and occasionally someone wants to take a glance at the numbers and compare, though we know that DoD vs FAA is not even a true comparison.

Yikes, after looking over those numbers, LAN and DLH are the best options headed my way on a list ?
None of that matters.
I don’t disagree, regardless the data is long out of date and occasionally someone wants to take a glance at the numbers and compare, though we know that DoD vs FAA is not even a true comparison.
Agreed. I've seen Navy Tracon controllers get anywhere from a level 7 up/down to level 12 centers. It's a mixed bag based more on need and location of the FAA.

Back
Top Bottom