NATCA leadership on those leaving the union

We would never have gotten privatized
But it's definitely going to happen so we need a seat at the table.

Pretty much. We looked good for the guy and his buddies but didn't get privatized. I call that a win.
I mean their may be a small handful of members that partially feel sold out when there's all this talk about how we're only going to do it because it's DEFINITELY going to happen and we need a seat at the table.

I personally feel like it just fizzled out after this huge push and what? There wasn't an email or anything about it ending.

Congress guaranteed paid for furloughed government employees during a shutdown, not just the faa, so I doubt they'll ever have another free leave, I mean furlough, time again.

Being initially left out of the paid parental leave act causes me some doubts as well. Maybe I should donate more to the pac

You've brought up what you see as a problem. Before addressing that, we should think critically for a moment. Just because there is a problem, does that necessarily mean that privatization is the only solution to that problem?

Your problem: Regional FOs get paid more per flight hour than low level facilities in the FAA.

That's awesome for them. They also only get paid for every hour the airplane is flying. Do you want to only get paid your hourly wage only when you work traffic? They don't get a pension. They are usually 50k in debt because they have to pay for their own training. Also, they were hugely UNDERPAID for literal decades before this. The companies that are now paying them what they deserve (for the time being) only did so after there was no other option.
I think if you went through my post history you’d find I was one of the most vehemently opposed to privatization.

I think if you went through my post history you’d find I was one of the most vehemently opposed to privatization.

There's two recent examples of NATCA hedging their bets correctly.

Privatization of too big to fail monopolies is obviously bad policy, especially in retrospect (covid) but believing politics are practical is little kid shit. 9/11 also proved ATC privatization was a bad idea for the taxpayer and flying public, but it never killed the idea. Supporting privatization was a way get the most out of the worst case scenario. And the worst case scenario happened! Republican president and a privatization proposal. Being against privatization wouldn't have magically stopped that. But it got us in good with Trump.

The second is extending the contract. We didn't negotiate with the Biden admin and kept what we have. Currently the administration is imposing work rules on another union during a contract dispute. What would have made us more special?

There's two recent examples of NATCA hedging their bets correctly.

Privatization of too big to fail monopolies is obviously bad policy, especially in retrospect (covid) but believing politics are practical is little kid shit. 9/11 also proved ATC privatization was a bad idea for the taxpayer and flying public, but it never killed the idea. Supporting privatization was a way get the most out of the worst case scenario. And the worst case scenario happened! Republican president and a privatization proposal. Being against privatization wouldn't have magically stopped that. But it got us in good with Trump.

The second is extending the contract. We didn't negotiate with the Biden admin and kept what we have. Currently the administration is imposing work rules on another union during a contract dispute. What would have made us more special?
This is the worst take ever. The Biden administration imposed a 24% raise on that union. No need to try to gaslight us about NATCAs bad decision. So what’s the game plan? Extend this contract forever? Try to negotiate with a possible republicans administration?

This is the worst take ever. The Biden administration imposed a 24% raise on that union. No need to try to gaslight us about NATCAs bad decision. So what’s the game plan? Extend this contract forever? Try to negotiate with a possible republicans administration?
The game plan is most likely to extend again if it looks like Biden will/does lose.

Its 24 percent over five years, so 4.8 percent a year (which is less than ATC for this year or next year). Also it's a contract that they rejected.

Back
Top Bottom