NATCA leadership on those leaving the union

We pay them to do it. We don’t have to “participate” whatever that means. Plus we have to work the traffic so they can go “negotiate”. Plus you say to be involved locally but my local leadership had no idea about the contract being extended either
They obviously weren’t asking questions. You’re at a Z and have a large membership I assume. They have every right to ask. You can’t plead ignorance when you don’t ask

If they did ask and weren’t receiving answers, why not spread the word to your local? “We are doing everything we can to participate in the negotiating process and are being stonewalled”

Get involved and win the next election.

Last edited:
They obviously weren’t asking questions. You’re at a Z and have a large membership I assume. They have every right to ask. You can’t plead ignorance when you don’t ask

If they did ask and weren’t receiving answers, why not spread the word to your local? “We are doing everything we can to participate in the negotiating process and are being stonewalled”

Get involved and win the next election.
Your take is that we, as union members, didn't know about the contract being extended becuase we didn't ask? Like it's our fault for not knowing? I'm pretty sure they did this 2 years early... so yea no one asked. Zoom forward a year or so when they usually start the contract negotiations and then yea you would be right if people were not trying to get involved.

This is like the NCEPT, many people had very little clue it was coming down the pipe... just suddenly happened. Should I as a trainee at the time been asking about potential transfer changes when for all I knew it had been the same for many years? Or maybe does the burden of dispersing information fall upon the union? Like send a email... they do it all the time but the info in those are almost always useless.

Is there any precedent at all for tying contractual raises to inflation? AAL pilots have wayyy more Union power than us, strike power, no pay cap, plus they have been negotiating during the high inflation period and not even their raises will keep up with the current inflation.

8.6% June raise to match inflation plus 4.6% government raise in January would be a 13.2% raise over a 6 month span, let alone whatever the inflation rate is next June. Private sector isn’t even seeing that, nevermind a government job with pay caps.

Is there any precedent at all for tying contractual raises to inflation? AAL pilots have wayyy more Union power than us, strike power, no pay cap, plus they have been negotiating during the high inflation period and not even their raises will keep up with the current inflation.

8.6% June raise to match inflation plus 4.6% government raise in January would be a 13.2% raise over a 6 month span, let alone whatever the inflation rate is next June. Private sector isn’t even seeing that, nevermind a government job with pay caps.
yeah but no sane employer is gonna lock in a raise based on the current sky high inflation rate

any number between 1.6 and 8.6 would be an improvement over 1.6 tho. There’s other things they could negotiate that wouldn’t change our “base pay” number.

any number between 1.6 and 8.6 would be an improvement over 1.6 tho. There’s other things they could negotiate that wouldn’t change our “base pay” number.
We got 4.3% for 2022 and are on pace for 6.2% for 2023. Isn’t it more effective to address inflation on a yearly basis through our government raises?

I've said it before and I'll say it again.... the part you guys always seem to miss is that you keep comparing our pay to the official inflation rate which highly understates actual inflation by design! Real inflation is at least double whatever the government measures it as. All of their costs are tied to inflation... all their cola increases, raises, tax brackets, etc... They have used "too low inflation" calculated based on a cpi formula they rigged in their favor to justify keeping interest rates artificially low and printing money for the the past 2 decades all while claiming their policies don't cause inflation. It's because America can't afford higher interest rates with the amount of debt we have but politicians don't want to level with the people and would rather just keep promising more and more government "for free" financed my deficits monetized by the federal reserve because "there's no consequences and money printing doesn't cause inflation and we can live beyond our means forever without consequences."

Unfortunately the consequences have arrived. They can no longer pretend inflation is too low when even their bullshit formula is reading more than quadruple their target. The fed has raised interest rates just 1.5% off the 0 level they have been at and we're already staring recession in the face which will likely be confirmed whenever the Q2 GDP numbers become official.

So please, for the love of God, stop saying we're not getting fucked too bad. We are if you live out in the real world and buy groceries, rent an apartment, buy gas, healthcare, electricity/nat gas, go to restaurants, buy a car, or do anything else that requires money.

I just don’t think there was any way we’d come out with a pay cut. Not with this administration. At the least we could have gotten some quality of life improvements. Or maybe so adjustments to premiums
I've said it before and I'll say it again.... the part you guys always seem to miss is that you keep comparing our pay to the official inflation rate which highly understates actual inflation by design! Real inflation is at least double whatever the government measures it as. All of their costs are tied to inflation... all their cola increases, raises, tax brackets, etc... They have used "too low inflation" calculated based on a cpi formula they rigged in their favor to justify keeping interest rates artificially low and printing money for the the past 2 decades all while claiming their policies don't cause inflation. It's because America can't afford higher interest rates with the amount of debt we have but politicians don't want to level with the people and would rather just keep promising more and more government "for free" financed my deficits monetized by the federal reserve because "there's no consequences and money printing doesn't cause inflation and we can live beyond our means forever without consequences."

Unfortunately the consequences have arrived. They can no longer pretend inflation is too low when even their bullshit formula is reading more than quadruple their target. The fed has raised interest rates just 1.5% off the 0 level they have been at and we're already staring recession in the face which will likely be confirmed whenever the Q2 GDP numbers become official.

So please, for the love of God, stop saying we're not getting fucked too bad. We are if you live out in the real world and buy groceries, rent an apartment, buy gas, healthcare, electricity/nat gas, go to restaurants, buy a car, or do anything else that requires money.
That was too many words for me to read the whole post but I read the first few lines and I 100% agree.

There is no way real inflation is only 9% or so.

Maybe it is if the only thing you buy is eggs, bread and milk. But any home care service, gasoline, nice meats and seafood, cars, airfare and hotels, utilities, etc…… are all up 25-30% or more.

Okay guys let’s be serious. It’s 1.6% every June first full pay period. Federal raises don’t count. We are not the only union government workers, you think they have better raises?
We have had 6, 1.6% raises so far. The first one in June of 2016 was 1.6% as a ratification of the CBA. That equals 9.6% over the past 6 years. Not compounding.

Over the past 4 years, my salary has increased 18%. Yes we had one year that is insane inflation, but what about those other years where we ended up ahead?

So what are we talking about? Do the math yourself. New salary minus old salary. Divide by old salary. Multiple by 100.

Yes I would love for 10% pay raises. Then everyone would bitch how we didn’t get 20%. At least we get the crumbs.
It all goes functionally away if you move up a payband. All that seniority and you’re making the same scale as the guy just in from the academy

That was too many words for me to read the whole post but I read the first few lines and I 100% agree.

There is no way real inflation is only 9% or so.

Maybe it is if the only thing you buy is eggs, bread and milk. But any home care service, gasoline, nice meats and seafood, cars, airfare and hotels, utilities, etc…… are all up 25-30% or more.

Guys calm down! Stop being so ungrateful. Everything is under control ?

#BestJobinTheWorld

FN-DQQVXwAAKY5l

Back
Top Bottom