NCEPT debate thread

Because people I worked with, my NATCA "brothers and sisters" as you call them, needed to get out even more than I did. They've been waiting longer, too. However, they aren't able to just walk out the door like I did. There's no guarantee you get back in. It's just brutal to see the union treat its members like that.

Like what? It's the faa they have the final say and assign work. Additionally you took the job getting hired. I bet you were smiling ear to ear in the academy and now you're all jaded. It's funny because you feel bad "seeing the union treat its members like that" but you turn around and double down by not paying dues. Pick a side.

Roger that, so you got out of ASE before the NCEPT because you had the ability to 'outwork' your co-workers by networking, building relationships, etc?

I was out of ASE long ago. I had the help of a manager that had a heart and made a drug deal to get me back to my family, and I'm still grateful for that. The next facility I worked at I was there for 5 years and also thought about quitting the agency... And hardshipping and every other scam that's been though of but I made the best of my time, and for the most part enjoyed the people I was around and networked and earned my way out. If you go back to that facility the only people I know there are the two homesteaders that don't want to leave. Other than that it's a rotating door within reason.

I didn't screw over my coworkers.. Plenty of cpc's that show up after me left before me because they "shotgunned" paperwork and took the first thing smoking out. I had 2 err's in and waited for something I actually wanted. So it took me 5 years. Today I have 1 in... One!

Make a choice, brush off your people skills, stop thinking the faa and union owe you anything because you come across as entitled. Network and I bet you'll get out. I have a buddy that sounds just like most of you. Know what happen? He took some advice and got picked up on this last list.

Last edited:
Like what? It's the faa they have the final say and assign work. Additionally you took the job getting hired. I bet you were smiling ear to ear in the academy and now you're all jaded. It's funny because you feel bad "seeing the union treat its members like that" but you turn around and double down by not paying dues. Pick a side.

I was out of ASE long ago. I had the help of a manager that had a heart and made a drug deal to get me back to my family, and I'm still grateful for that. The next facility I worked at I was there for 5 years and also thought about quitting the agency... And hardshipping and every other scam that's been though of but I made the best of my time, and for the most part enjoyed the people I was around and networked and earned my way out. If you go back to that facility the only people I know there are the two homesteaders that don't want to leave. Other than that it's a rotating door within reason.

I didn't screw over my coworkers.. Plenty of cpc's that show up after me left before me because they "shotgunned" paperwork and took the first thing smoking out. I had 2 err's in and waited for something I actually wanted. So it took me 5 years. Today I have 1 in... One!

Make a choice, brush off your people skills, stop thinking the faa and union owe you anything because you come across as entitled. Network and I bet you'll get out. I have a buddy that sounds just like most of you. Know what happen? He took some advice and got picked up on this last list.
Your facility has to be able to release someone for all that to work.

Your facility has to be able to release someone for all that to work.

Have you actively been err'ing out the past 5 years? If no then it's not that big of a deal. Things change, the pendulum swings.... But everyone will always remember the attitude you had/have. When a manager calls yours for a recommendation it could be the difference of you being ranked first or last... Ricky Bobby!

Look I'm not trying to sound like know it all or troll you guys. I'm honestly saying don't be that guy. Yeah it sucks but it's not forever, things do change. For the dues paying union members get on the BBS and talk to the NEB. Voice your concerns but be respectful. Remember it's a very small career field and everyone knows everyone.

Have you actively been err'ing out the past 5 years? If no then it's not that big of a deal. Things change, the pendulum swings.... But everyone will always remember the attitude you had/have. When a manager calls yours for a recommendation it could be the difference of you being ranked first or last... Ricky Bobby!

Look I'm not trying to sound like know it all or troll you guys. I'm honestly saying don't be that guy. Yeah it sucks but it's not forever, things do change. For the dues paying union members get on the BBS and talk to the NEB. Voice your concerns but be respectful. Remember it's a very small career field and everyone knows everyone.
A huge problem I and others have had with this is precisely the attitude thing. I've been dumbfounded at how much NATCA higher ups try to talk over and downplay the concerns members have with their policy. If they would just admit that they made a mistake and that certain controllers are in a much worse position today than they were 2 years ago it would be something. It would show they have a little bit of empathy are are willing to look at things from the perspective of the guys at smaller towers.

But no, I just get told by Trish, my RVP, all the NATCA instructors at any class I go to that this policy is so great for everyone and how thankful we should be that NATCA helped negotiate this abortion.

I agree with what you said about things possibly changing and to endure the status quo if you can but this whole process has revealed a really ugly side of NATCA that I never knew existed and won't ever forget.

Also this might be the dumbest thing I've ever read. He got hired under the old system, where he has a chance to move back to his home or wherever he wants to be permanently so he's happy. Then NCEPT comes out and he no longer has a chance to ever get out of his 1st tower, so he's jaded. Is that really that hard to understand?

Like, if I agree to work somewhere I don't want to be for a few years and in order to get somewhere I want to be and at the end of that time period the terms I agreed to get changed (by my own fucking "union" no less), I'm not allowed to be upset? Even my old manager agreed with me that this system is bullshit and trust me, he wasn't a big advocate for controllers getting what they want.

And I have no idea what paying dues has to do with watching NATCA fuck over its own members. Does him not paying dues make him complicit in that? He probably just has feels bad for his friends getting stuck.

Of course the FAA has final say and can assign work. They can also try and save money by trying to cheat a bunch of their employees stuck at undesirable places out of career advancement to keep their towers well staffed. They have an obligation to the taxpayers to keep the system lean and efficient, or at least try to. NATCA is the party here who's supposed to be the advocate for the workforce. NATCA is the ones freezing people for the foreseeable future and telling them to shut up and be thankful for such a great union.

Enjoy working at L30. I hear it's a great place to work, vegas is cheap, you guys have a ton of people who want to move there so you can always get replacement bodies if you want to leave, and you're making great money. Just realize there are places out there that are the polar opposite that many of your union buddies are going to be stuck at for a looooong time.

I'm glad you shared your story, unfortunately, the landscape has changed a lot since then.

Things that you can no longer do...
- No manager deals to get your closer to your family
- There was no 'screwing over' co-workers back then. Someone getting selected didn't take away your ability to apply for bids, network, ERR, etc.
- If you're at a small level facility and "wait" for the one of two facilities you really want, odds are you will never leave.
- The effect of networking is greatly diminished. You could spend $1,000's flying around the country, networking, touring, etc, but you may never be eligible when it's that time for the facility to select.

The major complaint people have with the new system is you can't do everything you've suggested people do. We all believe in being a good controller, networking, etc. All of that is currently marginalized. It is getting better with each panel and we've finally reached a point where guaranteed selection facilities are all but gone, which will go a long way in helping a lot of the issues.

I'm glad you came in when you did. I honestly could not imagine being in your situation in ASE now with no hope of getting over to Phoenix.

I hope I'm not overstepping, but was the marriage able to overcome the 5 years in ASE?

I'm glad you shared your story, unfortunately, the landscape has changed a lot since then.

- There was no 'screwing over' co-workers back then. Someone getting selected didn't take away your ability to apply for bids, network, ERR, etc.
- If you're at a small level facility and "wait" for the one of two facilities you really want, odds are you will never leave.
- The effect of networking is greatly diminished. You could spend $1,000's flying around the country, networking, touring, etc, but you may never be eligible when it's that time for the facility to select.

The major complaint people have with the new system is you can't do everything you've suggested people do. We all believe in being a good controller, networking, etc. All of that is currently marginalized. It is getting better with each panel and we've finally reached a point where guaranteed selection facilities are all but gone, which will go a long way in helping a lot of the issues.

I'm glad you came in when you did. I honestly could not imagine being in your situation in ASE now with no hope of getting over to Phoenix.

I hope I'm not overstepping, but was the marriage able to overcome the 5 years in ASE?
One of the biggest problems I have with NCEPT is the forced competition between members in house. However I do think the old system was not innocent in 'screwing over' co-workers, it was just more indirect. And it was a huge embarrassing failure in staffing the system. The fact that it couldn't staff the system is basically disqualifying. There was a lot of members abusing the old system leveraging release dates to change their destinations. This caused a great deal of problems for facilities on the receiving end and also for other controllers but the collateral damage was just twice or so removed. This is not a defense of NCEPT.
But, in defense of NCEPT, it has open doors for some that would have otherwise remained closed. I know a few people who have been selected at a dream facility whereas under the old system getting to that facility was impossible and would have remained impossible for their entire career.

One of the biggest problems I have with NCEPT is the forced competition between members in house. However I do think the old system was not innocent in 'screwing over' co-workers, it was just more indirect. And it was a huge embarrassing failure in staffing the system. The fact that it couldn't staff the system is basically disqualifying. There was a lot of members abusing the old system leveraging release dates to change their destinations. This caused a great deal of problems for facilities on the receiving end and also for other controllers but the collateral damage was just twice or so removed. This is not a defense of NCEPT.
But, in defense of NCEPT, it has open doors for some that would have otherwise remained closed. I know a few people who have been selected at a dream facility whereas under the old system getting to that facility was impossible and would have remained impossible for their entire career.
I know some of these other folks will just say I'm whining or entitled, but that is still impossible for a large number of us. Good for those few people that they were able to take advantage of the system at the right time.

And it was a huge embarrassing failure in staffing the system. The fact that it couldn't staff the system is basically disqualifying.

The old system had nothing to do with failing to staff the system. The FAA not meeting their hiring goals for YEARS is why facilities can't be staffed no matter how you shuffle the cards. Had I known that I'd be stuck in my current facility for most likely life I *probably* would have bided my time and applied again.

I had two issues with the old system.
People holding on to multiple TOLs and using their release date to get a facility they actually wanted. It left the facilities that originally selected them scrambling. (Would have been an easy fix where you can only hold one TOL at a time.)
And people selected for an FLM spot got to skip the line of people that held TOLs for controller spots. (Wasn't a major issue because I don't think it affected the already agreed upon release date for people already slated to leave.)

A huge problem I and others have had with this is precisely the attitude thing. I've been dumbfounded at how much NATCA higher ups try to talk over and downplay the concerns members have with their policy. If they would just admit that they made a mistake and that certain controllers are in a much worse position today than they were 2 years ago it would be something. It would show they have a little bit of empathy are are willing to look at things from the perspective of the guys at smaller towers.

But no, I just get told by Trish, my RVP, all the NATCA instructors at any class I go to that this policy is so great for everyone and how thankful we should be that NATCA helped negotiate this abortion.

I agree with what you said about things possibly changing and to endure the status quo if you can but this whole process has revealed a really ugly side of NATCA that I never knew existed and won't ever forget.

Again I'm pro union even though I have been at odds with the Union's stance on certain subjects. Sadly the faa likes to see the infighting, they want us divided...

Also this might be the dumbest thing I've ever read. He got hired under the old system, where he has a chance to move back to his home or wherever he wants to be permanently so he's happy. Then NCEPT comes out and he no longer has a chance to ever get out of his 1st tower, so he's jaded. Is that really that hard to understand?

Like, if I agree to work somewhere I don't want to be for a few years and in order to get somewhere I want to be and at the end of that time period the terms I agreed to get changed (by my own fucking "union" no less), I'm not allowed to be upset? Even my old manager agreed with me that this system is bullshit and trust me, he wasn't a big advocate for controllers getting what they want.

And I have no idea what paying dues has to do with watching NATCA fuck over its own members. Does him not paying dues make him complicit in that? He probably just has feels bad for his friends getting stuck.

Of course the FAA has final say and can assign work. They can also try and save money by trying to cheat a bunch of their employees stuck at undesirable places out of career advancement to keep their towers well staffed. They have an obligation to the taxpayers to keep the system lean and efficient, or at least try to. NATCA is the party here who's supposed to be the advocate for the workforce. NATCA is the ones freezing people for the foreseeable future and telling them to shut up and be thankful for such a great union.

Enjoy working at L30. I hear it's a great place to work, vegas is cheap, you guys have a ton of people who want to move there so you can always get replacement bodies if you want to leave, and you're making great money. Just realize there are places out there that are the polar opposite that many of your union buddies are going to be stuck at for a looooong time.

I guess I'll start with L30 is alright... Every facility has its ups and downs. We work 6 day work weeks because we have a few controllers that count against our numbers but are assigned to a detail or got picked up on a temp staff bid. So that leaves the room short and now the rest of us suffer.... We are working tons of OT, scheduled and according to the staffing workbook we are good staffing wise hence the 5 we could release the panel. Every facility has its issues... period.

Additionally Paul and Trish really only have to make a majority of the members happy. 51 percent of all who voted is still a win for them.

When I was at a level 7 I felt that the 4's through 7's maybe 8's weren't getting any love from the union. Before the convention they hold private center and large tracon meetings how they'll vote because they hold all the power.

I floated the idea of trying to band all the 7's and below together via a listserv of something of the such but chickened out because I didn't want to fight the union, I already had enough going on in my personal life. (see no longer married)

I guess I'm trying to say fight fire with fire if you're honestly that unhappy. Filing lawsuit and such, no one is going to help you. You already have a following of other pissed off controllers stuck like you guys, now just get them all together and complain collectively... 1000 or 2000 voices are louder than 1 here and 1 there.

Our union is unique and unfortunately the voices of 10's and higher are louder than yours.. And they have a ton of people.

Organize the 8 and 7's below maybe someone will take you seriously.

The dues paying comment... Bitching about ncept as a non dues member is like saying a slim Jim you got for free taste like pee pee. You got it for free you have ZERO I repeat 0 room to talk. Pay dues like the rest of us and then bitch.

You never know if drug deals still don't go down.... It's the faa, nothing surprises me anymore.

All I was saying was I do believe your attitude will play a factor at some point. A manager can still call and ask questions... He still ranks his list in the order that he or she wants them. If your current manager blasts you you're now at the bottom of a list... How does that not make sense?

I never went to PHX even though I know quite a few people there. And no, I'm no longer married... I have full custody of my two sons and do it myself.

Last edited:
The old system had nothing to do with failing to staff the system. The FAA not meeting their hiring goals for YEARS is why facilities can't be staffed no matter how you shuffle the cards. Had I known that I'd be stuck in my current facility for most likely life I *probably* would have bided my time and applied again.
You're correct that it was the agency's fault for not hiring to replace the obvious need approaching. I didn't really say that right. The old system was a disaster for transferring though. So that part of staffing the system didn't work at all.

Organize the 8 and 7's below maybe someone will take you seriously.
1vr846.jpg

1vr846

All I was saying was I do believe your attitude will play a factor at some point. A manager can still call and ask questions... He still ranks his list in the order that he or she wants them. If your current manager blasts you you're now at the bottom of a list... How does that not make sense?
Fully agree here, if you're awful to your ATM or a pain in the ass to work with, that's going to come out.
This was a major complaint when the NCEPT began, this next panel will be the first that doesn't have facilities near the top that are guaranteed selections. Up to this point, you could've been an awful human being and a terrible controller and still be selected based solely off where you put into. You could be a terrible level 4 tower controller and you would've still gotten selected to A80 this past panel if you were eligible.
Moving forward, this will help with some of the major complaints people have had with the system up to this point.

Wow... So apparently no one was supposed to know that they are holding a special panel for A80 selections next week. Of course, this is the FAA so naturally nothing stays secret for long. They were going to run the panel to select from old ERRs. Since word got out, they have received at least ONE HUNDRED extra ERRs for A80.

I don't think they will need to shell out move money.

If this isn't proof that NCEPT is a broken system then idk what is.

Back
Top Bottom