NEB meeting in Hawaii

Serious question #1, do they actually meet with members when they fly around the country having these NEB meetings? I read the NEB minutes and nothing says that.
Or are they combining NEB meetings with facility visits, as Move78 is implying? In which case, serious question #2, why does the entire NEB need to go? Why not divorce "Santa and LeBovidge facility visits" from the monthly NEB meeting, which you can have over Zoom?
The NEB does meet and greet events for any local facilities to attend at every NEB meeting.

The meeting itself is open for members to attend, excluding closed session parts. Constitutionally every member has the right to address the NEB during a NEB meeting.

Attend a NEB meeting and you’ll quickly understand why zoom isn’t really a good option.

The meeting itself is open for members to attend, excluding closed session parts. Constitutionally every member has the right to address the NEB during a NEB meeting.

Attend a NEB meeting and you’ll quickly understand why zoom isn’t really a good option.
So that’s why they went 3000 miles into the ocean 😝

Zoom would make it so every member actually could address them.

You can call in to the NEB meeting to address them too... happens during most meetings.... I'd suggest you attend a meeting in person to understand the difference in effectiveness of being in person. You might have a different perspective.

You can call in to the NEB meeting to address them too... happens during most meetings.... I'd suggest you attend a meeting in person to understand the difference in effectiveness of being in person. You might have a different perspective.
I’m not saying you’re wrong on the physical presence being more important, but it’s easy to say that if you’re in a big metro area. But these guys aren’t visiting Bangor, Maine or Fargo, ND, so some of these people only have voice or Zoom as an option. My facility and those around us have rarely* had a RVP visit.

I’m not saying you’re wrong on the physical presence being more important, but it’s easy to say that if you’re in a big metro area. But these guys aren’t visiting Bangor, Maine or Fargo, ND, so some of these people only have voice or Zoom as an option. My facility and those around us have rarely* had a RVP visit.
There’s 313 facilities.

Maybe I can try and attend. Do they give you official time to go to those?

They’re literally going to Portland Maine in October.

The mileage argument is a dead giveaway that your bias is reaching here. The argument should be budgetary, how is distance relevant? Budget is a reasonable concern. But are they only supposed to visit the cheap places? I bet the NYC meeting cost a ton. Bay Area? What do you say to the membership in hawaii?

If it was the prez and vp and the regional vp for hawaii going there for a visit that's one thing. This is not that. This is paid for travel and lodging and who knows what else for at least.... what 6 people who have zero to do with facilities in Hawaii.

I'm failing to understand why the eastern region vp needs to have a meet and greet with the controllers at Honolulu.
It’s the National body.

Serious question #1, do they actually meet with members when they fly around the country having these NEB meetings? I read the NEB minutes and nothing says that.

Or are they combining NEB meetings with facility visits, as Move78 is implying? In which case, serious question #2, why does the entire NEB need to go? Why not divorce "Santa and LeBovidge facility visits" from the monthly NEB meeting, which you can have over Zoom?
When they came to my area they didn't come to the facility and held a "meet and greet" an hour away.

There’s 313 facilities.
So of the six facilities near me, they’ve been to maybe…one? In almost ten years in the agency?

My point was that people can’t just “attend in person” easily if they never come to your area or even bother to arrange a Zoom with your facility or region. So if people call in, that might be their only option. Especially given the variety of shifts and days off. If they’re only showing up an hour from you, it’s probably not likely you’re able to participate.

April 4-5: Honolulu, Hawaii
May 16-17: Kansas City, Mo.
June 6-7: Pittsburgh, Penn.
July 11-12: Salt Lake City, Utah
August 23-24: Anchorage, Alaska
October 3-4: Portland, Maine
November 7-9: Washington, D.C.
December 12-13: Austin, Texas

That’s the rest of the schedule.
You missed the one in Davos, Switzerland.

The mileage argument is a dead giveaway that your bias is reaching here. The argument should be budgetary, how is distance relevant? Budget is a reasonable concern. But are they only supposed to visit the cheap places? I bet the NYC meeting cost a ton. Bay Area? What do you say to the membership in hawaii?
Well flight generally cost more the further they are. Plus
More travel days and more hotel days. I’m guessing flying everyone to like Dallas would be cheaper. But maybe not!

It’s the National body.
So is congress, but you don't see the reps and senators from Maine pressing flesh with Californians about thier concerns over wildfires and housing costs. If they were flying the entire legislative body around the country for out of district meet and greats, most would say that's a waste of taxpayer dollars.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but that's the point of an arvp..... to address the needs of thier region, and provide them with a voice.

I can't think of a single thing I could bring up that would be pertinent to the Alaska region vp, or vice versa.

So is congress, but you don't see the reps and senators from Maine pressing flesh with Californians about thier concerns over wildfires and housing costs. If they were flying the entire legislative body around the country for out of district meet and greats, most would say that's a waste of taxpayer dollars.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but that's the point of an arvp..... to address the needs of thier region, and provide them with a voice.

I can't think of a single thing I could bring up that would be pertinent to the Alaska region vp, or vice versa.
ARVPs aren’t on the NEB…..

Well flight generally cost more the further they are. Plus
More travel days and more hotel days. I’m guessing flying everyone to like Dallas would be cheaper. But maybe not
It’s not really true….flight costs depend on demand and cost of the departure/arrival airports….I just checked a flight to Newark to Hawaii, is almost the same price as Newark to HOU….about a $100 difference….on the dates I selected….miles don’t matter at all.

Back
Top Bottom