New Mandatory Mask Wearing MOU is out.

The actual death toll for COVID-19 won’t be calculable for some time, but there are early indications that it may be significantly lower than calculations of deaths per confirmed cases lead one to believe.

For example, in Florida, the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine and Miami-Dade County announced completion of its second round of community testing for COVID-19 on April 24. Long story short this was one of May studies done others include Stanford, USC, NEJM. All found significant evidence that the infection rate was actually much higher than reported in hospitals and testing sites.

These results may indicate the deadly COVID-19 pandemic – with mortality rates generally under 1% – is no more deadly than the seasonal influenza. Along with the fact that we are categorizing deaths that had nothing to do with the Rona but they tested for antibodies so we mark it a Rona death. I’m not a denier I’ve had family that has already had it and when someone younger dies with no pre existing conditions it’s enough to make anyone nervous. Is it really worth the masks and lockdown for even a 3.5% death rate? At the highest.

The study you linked found 6% of their sample in Miami-Dade tested positive for antibodies. 6% of the US population is ~20M people, or 5 times the US population. The higher range of most estimates is 10 times the confirmed rate, which is why I included that in the numbers provided, which as stated is 0.35%. That's 1 in every 300 people. I've heard estimates for those that survive and have serious complications to be in the 3-5% range. Altogether, my assertion stands, this is no way comparable to H1N1 or nearly any other influenza since 1918.

is this kind of like blindly following cult leaders into privatization? And just saying Paul and Trish have my best interests? Or is it different since you think I’m pro Trump based off me trying to justify COVID not being as bad as the media presents. When the multiple doctors and nurses within the family obviously much smarter than I am are on the ICU floors in East PA and NYC are starting to question where the CDC numbers are coming from can’t we as well??I’m not trying to be rude, just curious.

Maybe you can link privatization discussions years ago (I was personally opposed but understood the rationale) to COVID-19 in some meaningful way but I'm not seeing it. On topic, the CDC is only reporting CONFIRMED positives. I'm sorry, but that data trumps any doubt you have or some unnamed expert that you are referencing. Nearly every healthcare professional is in line that the virus is very infectious, much more lethal than anything we've seen since 1918, causes serious harm to many of those who survive, and that masks and social distancing are effective at preventing the spread. This is what I'm asserting is the issue in the US. We should only consider facts when dealing with a pandemic. We should follow the advise of the WHO, CDC, nearly any doctor you care to ask. Instead, a significant portion is denying the reality because of their political opinions regardless of how much that defies logic.

On another note, what is so horrible about masks? Canada, right next door, has it well in hand and is largely back to normal. The only difference is that they don't have a debate about social distancing and masks. They nearly uniformly wear masks and practice social distancing. Same for the EU. Seriously, wearing a mask is not that big of a deal.

I’ll listen to the people I know, who work in healthcare, particularly ICU. COVID-19 is much worse than the yearly flu. Now, it isn’t anywhere near as contagious as measles or Ebola, but it is very contagious. I remember reading a medical journal saying it 22x more infectious than the regular flu. There are an estimated six unique strains currently. Which means that it has mutated for its own self survival. With that, you potentially get more moderate symptoms, but that entirely depends on which strain you are exposed to and what underlying health conditions you have. The more important question is why are the rapid nasal tests still being manufactured and sent from China? My wife had four tests done and three came back negative, but the rapid nasal one, from China, came back positive. Yet, that is mathematically the least reliable, according to numerous healthcare studies. How many of these reported “positives” are a false positive and people just have a summer cold with similar symptoms yet their “test” said they were positive for COVID-19? The people, I know and trust, who’ve had multiple positive tests are still experiencing symptoms six weeks on from supposed recovery. They aren’t in the same physical condition as professional athletes, but they’re in better shape than 90% of the ATCers I know. I find it really hard to believe that millions of people are walking around asymptomatic or just experiencing symptoms lasting 48 hours or less. I think there is a HUGE number of false positives driving up the rate of cases and lowering the death rate. I’d imagine the actual death rate is closer to 4-5%.

Maybe you can link privatization discussions years ago (I was personally opposed but understood the rationale) to COVID-19 in some meaningful way but I'm not seeing it. On topic, the CDC is only reporting CONFIRMED positives. I'm sorry, but that data trumps any doubt you have or some unnamed expert that you are referencing. Nearly every healthcare professional is in line that the virus is very infectious, much more lethal than anything we've seen since 1918, causes serious harm to many of those who survive, and that masks and social distancing are effective at preventing the spread. This is what I'm asserting is the issue in the US. We should only consider facts when dealing with a pandemic. We should follow the advise of the WHO, CDC, nearly any doctor you care to ask. Instead, a significant portion is denying the reality because of their political opinions regardless of how much that defies logic.

On another note, what is so horrible about masks? Canada, right next door, has it well in hand and is largely back to normal. The only difference is that they don't have a debate about social distancing and masks. They nearly uniformly wear masks and practice social distancing. Same for the EU. Seriously, wearing a mask is not that big of a deal.
If mandated by an employer or a business owner fine, you don’t have to keep the job if you don’t want to wear a mask and you don’t have to go into someone’s business if you don’t want to. But for government local state or federal to mandate something, no, my body my choice. That’s my stance on masks. 49870572-8E0D-48C1-B5DF-66FF5E3BFEAA.jpeg

If mandated by an employer or a business owner fine, you don’t have to keep the job if you don’t want to wear a mask and you don’t have to go into someone’s business if you don’t want to. But for government local state or federal to mandate something, no, my body my choice. That’s my stance on masks. View attachment 4208
I'm curious which constitutional right you feel like a mask mandate violates. If there was a federal mandate, you could make an argument for the 10th, but since these are coming from states and local governments... please, explain.

The more important question is why are the rapid nasal tests still being manufactured and sent from China?

Do you really think there is anyone other than the only person with the power to invoke and use the defense production act? The president is not responsible for creating the virus. However, he is 100% responsible for the US federal response to it.

I posit the following:

Had anyone else been president (R, D or I), there would have been clear messaging from the beginning to take it seriously, wear masks, and socially distance. People would have done it because there would have been no political debate about it. They would have used the powers vested in the Presidency to nationalize testing and contact tracing. Had that been done, we would have likely not had to shutdown in the first place. We were behind all the outbreaks in Europe and knew it was here. In other words, we had the opportunity to get ahead of it that European countries did not. Rather than seize that opportunity, the President denied that it was a problem for over 2 months before he decided to declare an emergency and continues to downplay it to this day. I'm sorry, but ALL of our leaders should be held accountable for their failures. That doesn't mean just the ones I support, or anyone else supports, that means all of them. This one clearly failed in the response to this pandemic, and it's disingenuous to blame anyone else for the failure.

Do you really think there is anyone other than the only person with the power to invoke and use the defense production act? The president is not responsible for creating the virus. However, he is 100% responsible for the US federal response to it.

I posit the following:

Had anyone else been president (R, D or I), there would have been clear messaging from the beginning to take it seriously, wear masks, and socially distance. People would have done it because there would have been no political debate about it. They would have used the powers vested in the Presidency to nationalize testing and contact tracing. Had that been done, we would have likely not had to shutdown in the first place. We were behind all the outbreaks in Europe and knew it was here. In other words, we had the opportunity to get ahead of it that European countries did not. Rather than seize that opportunity, the President denied that it was a problem for over 2 months before he decided to declare an emergency and continues to downplay it to this day. I'm sorry, but ALL of our leaders should be held accountable for their failures. That doesn't mean just the ones I support, or anyone else supports, that means all of them. This one clearly failed in the response to this pandemic, and it's disingenuous to blame anyone else for the failure.
I can’t disagree with any of that. I think all of the politicians are letting this country down. From the handling of BLM riots, to COVID-19 testing, to unnecessarily spending trillions in supposed “stimulus,” et cetera. I said it in the last election and I’ll say it again now... If these (Trump and Biden, Clinton before) are the BEST we can offer, WE ARE ALREADY FUCKED!

That's embarrassing

Why? Granted that is before the new graded labs that they do now. There’s a bunch of people who failed because of a single loss of sep that probably could have made it had they been allowed to progress. We’ve only had one class of 4 go through the new graded labs in my area, just before Covid hit and they were also the first ots class for my area and 2 of 4 passed.

Had anyone else been president (R, D or I)...

They probably would have used the expansive and war gamed pandemic plan that was left to them and briefed to them by the previous administration rather than falling asleep during the briefing and ignoring it because Obama. The probably also wouldn’t have disbanded the part of the NSC whose sole jobs was dealing with pandemic and health crisis.

my body my choice.

you see here’s the problem with that logic. The mask does far more to prevent you from spreading it to others than it does to prevent you from getting it. So not wearing a mask isn’t affecting you, it’s affecting other people who have to live (or die) because of your choice. Because of that, put the damn mask on.

if the mask mostly just prevented you from catching it, then I’d agree with you. But because it affects other people with no choice in the matter, I vehemently disagree.

n another note, what is so horrible about masks? Canada, right next door, has it well in hand and is largely back to normal. The only difference is that they don't have a debate about social distancing and masks. They nearly uniformly wear masks and practice social distancing. Same for the EU. Seriously, wearing a mask is not that big of a deal.

I don’t have a problem wearing a mask, but this is simply not true. Canada and many European countries have lower rates of mask usage than the U.S. The Nordic countries barely wear masks at all, less than 10% of those surveyed, included Sweden which never locked down and has a higher than average death rate. This idea that Americans (probably right-leaning) are the only people on the planet that are too dumb or irresponsible or whatever to wear a mask is either an assumption or the result of a biased news media.

I'm curious which constitutional right you feel like a mask mandate violates. If there was a federal mandate, you could make an argument for the 10th, but since these are coming from states and local governments... please, explain.
It’s a picture and I do believe the world we live in in slowly prying at these right. From a state and local standpoint they have a leg to stand on of course in public health for a mask mandate. I disagree with it and I would have loved to see the response had the president and his force of medical experts who in March said it’s not that bad if they immediately shut everything down and mandated masks. Would all that are for them now had been compliant then or at least asked a question

It’s a picture and I do believe the world we live in in slowly prying at these right. From a state and local standpoint they have a leg to stand on of course in public health for a mask mandate. I disagree with it and I would have loved to see the response had the president and his force of medical experts who in March said it’s not that bad if they immediately shut everything down and mandated masks. Would all that are for them now had been compliant then or at least asked a question
Again: what rights are being "pryed at" by a mask mandate during a pandemic? And why do you disagree with a mask mandate?

Again: what rights are being "pryed at" by a mask mandate during a pandemic? And why do you disagree with a mask mandate?
Because up until COVID the beloved CDC said masks had minimal impact on reducing spread of a virus. Now we’re changing because this is unlike anything we’ve ever seen and they still think that a piece of cloth is going to help. Just been to many times even in the past 4 months that we have changed our mind on some issues. It’s fine I’m not for them,you are and if I’m at work and I’m told by my boss to wear one I will, if I’m not told to I won’t it’s pretty simple.

Because up until COVID the beloved CDC said masks had minimal impact on reducing spread of a virus. Now we’re changing because this is unlike anything we’ve ever seen and they still think that a piece of cloth is going to help. Just been to many times even in the past 4 months that we have changed our mind on some issues. It’s fine I’m not for them,you are and if I’m at work and I’m told by my boss to wear one I will, if I’m not told to I won’t it’s pretty simple.
For reference, the CDC said that masks had minimal impact of one person with the flu/whatever spreading their virus. In a pandemic situation, however, populations wearing masks has been proven effective at slowing the spread on a larger scale, because those marginal differences add up fast. Similar to how you washing your hands before a meal doesn't really do much to prevent you getting a food borne illness or other disease, but if a significant percentage of people do, it does make a difference.

is this kind of like blindly following cult leaders into privatization? And just saying Paul and Trish have my best interests? Or is it different since you think I’m pro Trump based off me trying to justify COVID not being as bad as the media presents. When the multiple doctors and nurses within the family obviously much smarter than I am are on the ICU floors in East PA and NYC are starting to question where the CDC numbers are coming from can’t we as well??I’m not trying to be rude, just curious.
COVID is a crazy exaggeration but don’t fuck with privatization, it’s the best way to go.

Back
Top Bottom