New Mandatory Mask Wearing MOU is out.

Bandit117

Forum Sage
Per the email we have to wear masks when we aren’t on position it seems. (Edit: maybe even on position too, it’s vague)

if we are wearing PPE, doesn’t that mean there’s a biological hazard? If there isn’t, why are we wearing masks? Sounds like a good case for hazard pay.

Last edited:
“The Agency has determined, and NATCA has agreed, that face coverings will be required in common areas such as elevators, hallways, and any workspaces or other locations where social distancing cannot be maintained. This decision is consistent with CDC guidance intended to slow the spread of the virus and serves to further protect the workforce.
The Parties at the local level shall work collaboratively to comply with the policy in accordance with the MOU as expeditiously as possible. It is expected the facilities will be in full compliance no later than July 27, 2020.

Q: Are FAA employees and contractors required to wear face coverings?

A: FAA employees will wear cloth face coverings, surgical masks, dust masks, or N95 respirators (if medically qualified) in common areas such as elevators, hallways, and any workspaces or other locations where social distancing cannot be maintained.

According to the CDC, wearing face coverings in public settings helps slow the spread of the SARS-CoV-2 virus that causes COVID-19. In addition, several state and local authorities have mandates that require persons wear face coverings in public places. Visit the CDC website for more information on cloth face coverings and on respirators and face masks. This guidance does not supersede any FAA position-specific guidance on PPE.

-from the email

I initially read it as no masks on position; but now I’m not sure. This was already being discussed in the no-mod thread.

It’s stuff like this that makes me reach my breaking point with the union. No discussion with members, no solicitation of input from members, just a blind decree by powers that be, going along with the agency. Looks like we’re back to the white book with a mandatory uniform.

They better give us the PPE and give us the fucking hazard pay. Even if it’s not the full 25% it better be at least 10% and retroactive.

My facility has had a bag of masks for every controller at the OM desk for a while now. I think they were anticipating this coming and covering the bases so that people can't claim they don't have a mask.

Meh. Seems like the ops room is excluded and we can distance there anyway as all the scopes are at least one apart... Wear a mask in and out of the building, ok. Who cares?

I wear one to Costco to get my sweet 8$ covid Malbec.

now at a center where you have a D-side and you can’t distance, do you both have to wear masks?

It’s stuff like this that makes me reach my breaking point with the union. No discussion with members, no solicitation of input from members, just a blind decree by powers that be, going along with the agency. Looks like we’re back to the white book with a mandatory uniform.

Attachments

• 2C3996D0-1CAB-43FE-9180-93849FAD349A.jpeg
    2C3996D0-1CAB-43FE-9180-93849FAD349A.jpeg
    33.9 KB · Views: 20
This Agreement is entered into between the National Air Traffic Controllers Association, AFL-CIO (“NATCA” or “the Union”) and Federal Aviation Administration (“FAA” or “the Agency”), herein collectively referred to as “the Parties.” This Agreement represents the complete understanding of the Parties concerning the use of face coverings and the FAA Workplace Toolkit.

Section 1. The Agency’s Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) which states that “FAA employees will wear cloth face coverings, surgical masks, dust masks, or N95 respirators (if medically qualified) in common areas such as elevators, hallways, and any workspaces or other locations where social distancing cannot be maintained” and “Face coverings with an unfiltered exhalation valve are not suitable for COVID-19 community spread protection. The unfiltered exhalation valve allows unfiltered air to escape the face covering.
Unfiltered exhalation valves on any type of face coverings are not permitted.” applies to all FAA employees, including NATCA bargaining unit employees.

a. Upon request, the Agency will make cloth face coverings available to NATCA bargaining unit employees. The type of face covering shall be at the election of the employee.
b. The social distancing requirement is as defined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
c. The CDC has provided information on cloth face coverings and on respirators and face masks. Cloth face coverings, surgical masks, dust masks, N95 respirators and/or face shields will be worn in accordance with this guidance. This guidance does not supersede any position-specific guidance on Personal Protection Equipment (PPE).
d. Employees who have a medical condition that prevents them from wearing a face covering should contact their operational supervisor/manager to address a workplace flexibility/modification that can accommodate the employee’s limitation. For employees that maintain a medical certificate, the operational supervisor/manager will advise the appropriate Regional Flight Surgeon (RFS) for validation and follow-up as necessary.

Section 2. Issues arising from an employee’s non-compliance with Section 1 above, will be addressed using Article 8 and/or Article 52, as applicable, of NATCA/FAA collective bargaining agreements prior to initiating other compliance measures.

Section 3. The Parties at the local level will work collaboratively to ensure the Workplace Toolkit and related social distancing measures are developed and implemented at each office or facility accordance with the Administrative Facility Preparedness Guide or approved Operational Readiness Workgroup recommendations.

Section 4. The Agency has determined that during Phase One, the Agency will maximize telework and flexible work schedules to achieve a limited staggered return not to exceed twenty-five (25) percent of the workforce at administrative facilities. To achieve a limited staggered return, the Agency will consider the physical locations of employees within the worksite, including individual floors, departments on the floor, and spacing between employees, to ensure that social distancing is maintained.

Section 5. Either Party may request to reopen this Agreement to address concerns regarding the application or interpretation of the language contained in this Agreement.

Back
Top Bottom