November (Q1) 2021

This wasn't always the case.... not so long ago (probably 5 years, maybe a bit more) around the time they made the change to the idiotic get your facility assignments your last day of the academy system in place now, you used to know where you were going when you got your FOL, that went for everyone, and it was much more luck of the draw, and everyone went thru the academy.

Depending on the states you applied to (you picked 2 states per app) if you were a vet or previous experience you may be selected for certain higher level facilities that had a big time need for bodies, like N90, NCT, SCT etc, but other than that it was the same. So ya, there was some preference given, but to places most people wouldn't want to go or data shows most brand new people have a hard time being successful at.

My opinion they kind of threw the baby out with the bathwater on that system, it was better just needed some tweaks to streamline the system, like make it a region instead of specific states. How the faa as even doing it the last half decade or so is moronic.

You don’t think placement at your initial FAA facility should’ve been turned into some shitty wannabe reality TV show? I’m convinced the pass rate in OKC is as bad as it is because everyone spends half the time they’re there panicking about where they’re going to be sent on no notice.

It’s almost like if they hired people for a specific facility, and they could spend the 3 months in OKC knowing that if they pass, they’re going to XXX facility, they may do better.

The current system sucks, and NCEPT is just extra frosting on the FAA we don’t give a shit cake.

You don’t think placement at your initial FAA facility should’ve been turned into some shitty wannabe reality TV show? I’m convinced the pass rate in OKC is as bad as it is because everyone spends half the time they’re there panicking about where they’re going to be sent on no notice.

It’s almost like if they hired people for a specific facility, and they could spend the 3 months in OKC knowing that if they pass, they’re going to XXX facility, they may do better.

The current system sucks, and NCEPT is just extra frosting on the FAA we don’t give a shit cake.
Ya I'll never understand why the faa made that change.

Yeah they should have arrived at a compromise between the two systems. Facility assignment before the academy with the level 7 or below requirement. Sending an academy grad to LAX is madness.

Yeah they should have arrived at a compromise between the two systems. Facility assignment before the academy with the level 7 or below requirement. Sending an academy grad to LAX is madness.
Ya even prior experience they never did a good job at looking at resumes. I'm a perfect example. Sure I had a CTO from an army tower before getting in the FAA, but that in no way shape or form meant I was ready to step in and work at n90 straight out of rtf/tsew.

Ya even prior experience they never did a good job at looking at resumes. I'm a perfect example. Sure I had a CTO from an army tower before getting in the FAA, but that in no way shape or form meant I was ready to step in and work at n90 straight out of rtf/tsew.
Most military towers are probably level 5s or less and even then the busier towers do cowboy shit all day so you have to basically reteach the whole book to them.

Most military towers are probably level 5s or less and even then the busier towers do cowboy shit all day so you have to basically reteach the whole book to them.
Are you trying to tell me pilots don't want to be part of a daily airshow?

All the war stories about how they did it at Minot or Vance or whatever do nothing base says otherwise. I honestly dont know what USAF bases are "good" any more. Most of the fighter bases had gone down in traffic. Nellis used to be held in decent regards during Red Flag.

All the war stories about how they did it at Minot or Vance or whatever do nothing base says otherwise. I honestly dont know what USAF bases are "good" any more. Most of the fighter bases had gone down in traffic. Nellis used to be held in decent regards during Red Flag.
There's a few busy rapcons but thats about it for "decent" usaf traffic imo

You mean on the FAA and NATCA shit cake.

Amazing literally every dues paying member at lower level facilities doesn’t get what they have been asking since NCEPT came out but the minute a big facility needs something NATCA jumps through hoops lol. I hope to also make it big enough one day to forget about my shit roots at my lvl 5 and only focus on bigger facilities because that’s the FAA and NATCA way. ?

I asked a natca rep that was apart of that change and he said because no one was getting sent to certain low level updowns in the Midwest. They said people were turning down offers because of the facility and reapplying to different states.

I'm not sure if any of that is true since it happened before my time

I asked a natca rep that was apart of that change and he said because no one was getting sent to certain low level updowns in the Midwest. They said people were turning down offers because of the facility and reapplying to different states.

Thanks MFD

Sounds like a problem for the people who put that state on the app. Also sounds like a problem easily solved with local bids

Honestly, local bids and they should do away with the academy altogether. You can apply to any facility you want, do the 5 weeks basics via zoom and then start right at the facility for local training.
I can mostly agree and get on board with that. I don't think the academy is 100 percent necessary, but much like basic training it's good for weeding out people who are unreliable or completely lack the necessary secret sauce that makes a good controller.

Sounds like a problem for the people who put that state on the app. Also sounds like a problem easily solved with local bids
Yeah something needs to change. I sorta think it's wrong for a prior exp person to turn down multiple offers to get a choice location. But at the same time someone can quit and a year later apply to a facility potentially jumping a ton of people with ERRs.

Honestly, local bids and they should do away with the academy altogether. You can apply to any facility you want, do the 5 weeks basics via zoom and then start right at the facility for local training.

Cowboys is a right of passage for OTS applicants you can't take that away.

Back
Top Bottom