Small Change to Placement Lists

Take off the fucking blinders for once. If you have an actual counter argument to contradict anything I said, then present it. Otherwise stfu. Again, if NATCA had made this happen, we would have heard about it. Period.
Come on man, just give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they were at least partially responsible for anything good that’s ever happened to you.

Come on man, just give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they were at least partially responsible for anything good that’s ever happened to you.
You act like the union is some type of charity. 😂 nobody owes them anything. They do, however, owe results to the workforce that is more and more unsatisfied with the lack of results.

Being able to volunteer for BGR will be a huge benefit for them. The problem is everyone that gets forced there ends up quitting, find a hardship, go contract, take a sup job, sell their soul to N90 or go DoD. Like I did. And nine other people did while I was there. There's been people who have wanted BGR and quit because they couldn't get it. These facilities will still get on lists over and over and will have plenty of bodies coming in. Forcing people from CA WA TX MN PA SC WV etc to go there and be miserable is not the solution.
ACK will be following suit very soon, mark my word.
Finally just released 1 after no movement in over 3 years. Inaccurate training success rate (currently reported as 83.3% on the PPT but it has really been 50% on the dot the past 2 years). And a $120,000 salary that still can't lure anyone in.

For this to work, you assume people would actually select BGR,ASE etc….. the only way to staff those facilities is to force people in to them. The FAA has tried this crap before and it didn’t work, do you really think someone is going to volunteer to go to a shit facility with high COL?? Y’all gotta stop drinking the FAA/NATCA koolaid.
What if I told you that people who apply are actually from these regions. Aspen might be a little hard.

What if I told you that people who apply are actually from these regions. Aspen might be a little hard.
Right. What we can do is go to job fairs in those areas and tell highschoolers "You want an almost 100k/yr job without going into student load debt? Apply OTS and you're guaranteed this placement." In fact Maine is now offering free community college so that covers the education or work requirement.

Aspen though... I have no solution.

Right. What we can do is go to job fairs in those areas and tell highschoolers "You want an almost 100k/yr job without going into student load debt? Apply OTS and you're guaranteed this placement." In fact Maine is now offering free community college so that covers the education or work requirement.

There is a solution and it’s easy. $$$$$$

$200k salary. You’ll have takers.

What if I told you those same people would get in and hear how the pay system works, then realize why those places are hard to staff and put in paperwork elsewhere.

It will be interesting to track those people who request it over the next decade to see who actually sticks around.

What if I told you those same people would get in and hear how the pay system works, then realize why those places are hard to staff and put in paperwork elsewhere.

It will be interesting to track those people who request it over the next decade to see who actually sticks around.
I think the idea is that every year you’d have a new 2 kids from the local high school that want to do it and you actually make a system of people moving around the agency. But that would require the atms to actually get out in town and recruit people.

Overall a great move. Hopefully the volunteer list is expanded as time goes on. But minimizing the amount of people that are sent to truly undesirable areas like ZOA or ZNY against their will is a huge step in reducing attrition.

I've always thought that if Starbucks can hire thousands of baristas at $20/hr to work a busy drive through in the Bay Area or Long Island, there's zero excuse for the FAA not being able to find a few hundred locals willing to work at ZOA or ZNY for $200-250k with good benefits, pension, and early retirement. FAA should start sending out hoardes of reps with flyers to every drive-through in the area promoting ATC to the employees.

Overall a great move. Hopefully the volunteer list is expanded as time goes on. But minimizing the amount of people that are sent to truly undesirable areas like ZOA or ZNY against their will is a huge step in reducing attrition.

I've always thought that if Starbucks can hire thousands of baristas at $20/hr to work a busy drive through in the Bay Area or Long Island, there's zero excuse for the FAA not being able to find a few hundred locals willing to work at ZOA or ZNY for $200-250k with good benefits, pension, and early retirement. FAA should start sending out hoardes of reps with flyers to every drive-through in the area promoting ATC to the employees.
They need to move this portion to pre hire tho so these people know they are for sure going to these places. Nothing is stopping them from taking ZLA off while you are at the academy

Easy solution is to guarantee people a transfer out after they've done X years at aspen as a CPC.

I keep saying it & I'll say it again until I go blue in the face: local hiring. Why is local hiring still not a thing nationwide for atc?!

There was a guy that toured my facility a year ago, born & raised in this city, who was interested in ATC and wanted to know what the chance of getting back home once he applied. One of the supes seriously told him that he had a good chance of getting this facility on his list through OTS, which is complete BS. We mainly get prior exp (who most don't even want to be here) and the chance of getting another AG is pretty slim.

We've had people start here within the last 3 years that have quit, transfered, plan to leave soon, or are in the process of leaving through any means possible-all of them wanting to go home or be closer to family. & We've had people hardship to our low level facility or transfered here because they either have family here or are much closer to home & have no intentions of ever leaving.

Local hiring doesn't solve all of our issues. But I really do believe that if you initially get local people hired at lower level facilities, we'll have less attrition & fewer holes in the NAS. But our pay also has to become more competitive to incentivize people staying put.

Easy solution is to guarantee people a transfer out after they've done X years at aspen as a CPC.
I always wondered why they didn't do this. Do 4-5 years at Aspen or ACK and get a guaranteed transfer to any facility of your choice. Kind of like the Santa Monica situation now. If I were a single CPC in my 20s, it would definitely appeal to me.

They need to move this portion to pre hire tho so these people know they are for sure going to these places. Nothing is stopping them from taking ZLA off while you are at the academy

Enroute in general should do more to guarantee a location before the academy. It's one thing to hop around low/mid level towers where training takes 4-8 months and there is a "difficulty gradient" as you move onwards and upwards. But enroute training is a whole different beast and an absolutely massive time/financial investment in the controller. And enroute really is set up to be a one-stop newbie-to-retirement shop for your career. So the only real reasons for leaving a Z are location or the work itself, both which can be nipped in the bud early in the process. In a perfect world there should be very minimal transferring out of enroute facilities.

Last edited:
1. I’m really happy for academy graduates. I remember When the academy stopped allowing 2 slots per trainee about 5-6 years ago, and it screwed some people out of the opportunity of going to their dream facility.

2. Staffing at places like ZNY, ZOA etc. was never going to be corrected with current hiring practices, and I think the best way is regional hiring as others have said.

3. I don’t care who was responsible, it’s a logical step in the right direction and should be celebrated as such.

Do you know who supports Paul’s contract? No you don’t know that either.
You know nothing about any of this and yet you spam bullshit onto the board.

There’s 0 people outside of DC (both union and management) that favors the agency’s new hire placement processes. But it’s management rights. If NATCA hired and placed none of these problems would exist. They’ve been asking for years to fix these issues. But you’re big mad cuz you had a shitty rep once or some shit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe, but for someone from Colorado (Denver, Colorado Springs, GJ) that still has family in the area it could be a decent spot.
Well it's an 3 hour drive in the summer (without snow) from Aspen to Denver... might as well work and live farther away and just fly with the money you actually have.

Back
Top Bottom