Terminal Class pass rate

For OTS academy goers, did you study anything prior to going to the Academy such as the study guide that used be on the FAA website?
Study aircraft performance characteristics (C172 goes slow and a GLF5 goes fast), understand a traffic pattern (base leg, straight-in, crosswind, upwind), know your runway spacing requirements (3K feet, 4.5K feet, 6K feet), understand your point on GC is to help your local (stagger departure gates, don't block turnoff areas, put smaller aircraft in front of heavies, etc.), and read through chapter 3 and learn the phraseology word for word. That's a good start for now...

(stagger departure gates
That doesn't matter at all. The only thing that might help Local is holding a heavy/757 to let someone else go in front. But even that is debatable since you're just delaying the heavy for being a heavy....I would say whoever would naturally taxi to the runway first is your order of departures.

That doesn't matter at all. The only thing that might help Local is holding a heavy/757 to let someone else go in front. But even that is debatable since you're just delaying the heavy for being a heavy....I would say whoever would naturally taxi to the runway first is your order of departures.
They don't teach staggering departures anymore or pairing up B757s and heavies?!? That's crazy!

They don't teach staggering departures anymore or pairing up B757s and heavies?!? That's crazy!
There's no advantage to it. All you need is 6,000 feet/airborne and 15 degrees behind a B757 with a large or heavy. 757's fit in nice with the larges now.

Remember that time the FAA spent millions developing a new hiring system and AT-SA test to screen out the 'best' qualified candidates, which would increase the success rate at the Academy and eventually their Facility? Good times...

Remember that time the FAA made sense in their decisions? Yeah, me neither.

Yeah, if you did either of those, you'd be written up on GC for "Delaying" someone. I don't think the departures come out that fast where you'd have reason to do that anyways.

I can confirm that 14 out of 18 passed this week. Two people resigned so it was actually 14 out of 16 that tested. Out of the two that missed I heard one person was very close to making it... so they almost passed the entire class.

Why did two quit? Didn't like the list? Didn't have enough points/didn't feel like they'd pass?

I can confirm that 14 out of 18 passed this week. Two people resigned so it was actually 14 out of 16 that tested. Out of the two that missed I heard one person was very close to making it... so they almost passed the entire class.

No one left before PA's. Three people washed because they were mathematically eliminated during PA's, the fourth one needed basically perfect GC/LC scores on his two remaining evals so he resigned.

That doesn't make sense to me. I'd at least give it a shot and give myself a chance.

But now he can say that he didn't really "fail" or "washout". Much like some people who withdraw from training and do the whole, "I could have made it if I really wanted to......"

9/15 is correct. We started basics with 15 and washed 1 and then gained 1 that bypassed basics. Any last minute advice for choosing a facility? My choices will likely be:
ARR
BGM
FRG
CCR
ALB
CMI
TOA
PAO
DAY
POU
HTS
ERI
ROW

Currently leaning towards ALB

I know someone at DAY and the checkout time was only a couple months from walking in the door. Allows you to ERR out quick to a more desirable place.

ALB I believe has a lengthy training backlog right now with trainees tripping over themselves and fighting for time.

DAY might have the coolest looking tower in the country despite being a 4.

Yeah, ALB is showing 17 CPC and 14 trainees in the facilities section as of a month ago. Gonna be fighting for training time at that place.

Man, what a rough list. Maybe ROW? Are you looking for a resume builder or somewhere to transfer out of quickly? Do you want somewhere busy or slow?

Back
Top Bottom