Terminal Class pass rate

I agree! Especially being OTS.

Nothing to worry about being OTS as long as you give it your all. CTI programs basically prep you for Basics and not much else. Entering Initial Tower everyone is around the same level of knowledge.

I'm currently in a majority CTI class, with about 6 OTS. Everyone is about where they should be with PAs next week. Everyone has good days, and everyone has bad days. But by the time you get to the later sim problems, you'll be able to see your effort paying off.

I'm the only CTO holder with tower time in my class, and even I've struggled at times. Your background is only a small part of what will help you succeed. I have OTS classmates that consistently perform amazingly.

If I could pass anything on, it's that every point counts. Do well in academics, and grab every point you can in PAs. From what I understand, in the class that passed 5, a few only failed by 1 point (or even less than a point). Score as high as possible on Block Tests and don't let a 1 point stripmarking error be the thing that sends you home.

Last edited:
Nothing to worry about being OTS as long as you give it your all. CTI programs basically prep you for Basics and not much else. Entering Initial Tower everyone is around the same level of knowledge.
Not all CTI's are created equal. A few CTI schools only have book work, others run the same simulators and same layout as the academy.

Not all CTI's are created equal. A few CTI schools only have book work, others run the same simulators and same layout as the academy.

Of course. Having a bit of sim work helps you with being comfortable in tabletops and later TSS. If you can retain phraseology from school, even better.

However I don't think there are many CTI sims that can prepare you for the complexity and volume that the Academy throws at students. ERAU and UND grads I've talked to can attest to that. Being taught Academy Airport rules and layout would benefit, but of course not every school does that.

Getting over TSS voice recognition quirks and identifying the typical scenario setups early on is half the battle. The other half is probably nerves like everyone says.

Know AAC Rules & phraseology like the back of your hand. You should be able to spit stuff out without even having to think. Know your next move. If you're not a step ahead, you can get yourself in some trouble.

Also, you're gonna get 2 different LC sims during your evals- a VFR problem and an IFR problem. Do well on the IFR problem, it's less complex. The VRF problem is a bit of a nut buster.

A week in tabletops/3D- you'll get two 45 minute local, and two ground runs. the other time you work FD/CD. The way the schedule rotates you will have some days you have three LCs, three GC, & 3 FD/CD.
When you get to TSS you no longer do FD/CD but you will monitor instead. You will have 13 Days in TSS.. I believe there's a forum on this site that shows the breakdown of each day from Day 1 of Initial Tower to the last day of Evals.

Also, you're gonna get 2 different LC sims during your evals- a VFR problem and an IFR problem.
What's this mean? Like one of the LCs is just IFR arrivals and departures with no pattern traffic? I've always heard that out of all the PA problems, they're mostly similar with just a different mix of where the fast-movers are and how to fit them in best.

BTW, here's a list of the facilities the last class had (with 5 that passed, 1 still unsure in TR):

That would have to be the worst ever....being stuck in limbo over a long weekend.

What's this mean? Like one of the LCs is just IFR arrivals and departures with no pattern traffic? I've always heard that out of all the PA problems, they're mostly similar with just a different mix of where the fast-movers are and how to fit them in best.

I am guessing IFR and VFR weather...

That would have to be the worst ever....being stuck in limbo over a long weekend.

What my class saw was that one LC problem you had was heavy on the IFR departure & arrival push while you really only had light pattern traffic on 28L.-you would have 2 guys in the pattern at most throughout the problem. If you knew how to anticipate the separation, knew your rules you needed on 28R with your IFR guys, the problem was easy.

2nd LC problem began with very few IFR arrivals/departures... you knew the nut buster was coming...it starts out with a slow guy, Cessna 172PT or Cherokee 288PM calling up from riverside requesting 3 T/Gs, followed by either a cirrus/cheyenne/baron requesting the same to throw in a wrench and ya gotta start shorting guys or extending them, followed by a 3rd slow guy requesting T/Gs. 3 guys in the pattern. And then all of a sudden a gulfstream comes screaming in from 7 miles east while a challenger would come 2 seconds later 9 miles west and then a Lear 10 miles from the south... I would say that it doesn't happen as quick as I just read it, but by the time one fast guy is landing- the other fast guy is calling up.

if you did well in the TSS problems 9-13. you are fine for the eval- dont worry. I would say the evals are the speed of TSS day 9 or 10 with the complexity of day 11/12. TSS day 13 is tough, most instructors can't even work the traffic.

Back
Top Bottom