Terminal Class pass rate

Did you make it HighFrequency?

Negative. First local run tanked me, even with a perfect and near perfect ground. I'll spare the details since I still have a shot on prior experienced bids, and shouldn't be talking scenarios, but it was fast mover go-around related like others have discussed. Pattern got unwieldy/saturated and while my procedures were pretty solid, delays and two missed traffic calls brought it all down.

Overall, I have to say the evaluators are fair. I've seen the horror stories where some guys are like the grim reaper, but I never saw anything on my forms I would've disagreed with. Bummer that a rough 10 minutes killed my problem, but it is what it is.

Quite a few didn't make it that certainly should've/could've. I know there are controllers out there that spout the "didnt have what it takes" spiel, but in the absence of retakes (a possibility in years past), I think a lot of talent might be being wasted. I got what I deserved with my mistakes, so no hurt feelings on my end.

Might venture into the contract world if I can pull some strings. Not likely, but I'm not ruling it out. I've got a few backups outside of ATC as well, thankfully.

Last edited:
Negative. First local run tanked me, even with a perfect and near perfect ground. I'll spare the details since I still have a shot on prior experienced bids, and shouldn't be talking scenarios, but it was fast mover go-around related like others have discussed. Pattern got unwieldy/saturated and while my procedures were pretty solid, delays and two missed traffic calls brought it all down.

Overall, I have to say the evaluators are fair. I've seen the horror stories where some guys are like the grim reaper, but I never saw anything on my forms I would've disagreed with. Bummer that a rough 10 minutes killed my problem, but it is what it is.

Quite a few didn't make it that certainly should've/could've. I know there are controllers out there that spout the "didnt have what it takes" spiel, but in the absence of retakes (a possibility in years past), I think a lot of talent might be being wasted. I got what I deserved with my mistakes, so no hurt feelings on my end.

Might venture into the contract world if I can pull some strings. Not likely, but I'm not ruling it out. I've got a few backups outside of ATC as well, thankfully.
That's too bad, but good you've got options it sounds like!
If that was your first local, what happened on your second local?

That's too bad, but good you've got options it sounds like!
If that was your first local, what happened on your second local?

Second local didn't happen. I needed a perfect run to pass, so I resigned on the 2nd day. More of a formality for future applications outside the agency.

QA made it clear it still counts as a training failure intra-agency, but having a CTO makes it kind of an odd place to be in as far as rejoining goes. Able to bypass the academy if I attain 52 weeks post-cert experience, but I still have the black mark. Technically in the "resigned for personal reasons" camp instead of the "in lieu of termination/terminated" pile.

That being said, I'm driving home now. But if a small contract VFR tower is hurting for bodies, I'd drive 2000 miles back the way I just came to work traffic again. Count me down, not out!

Last edited:
Second local didn't happen. I needed a perfect run to pass, so I resigned on the 2nd day. More of a formality for future applications outside the agency.

QA made it clear it still counts as a training failure intra-agency, but having a CTO makes it kind of an odd place to be in as far as rejoining goes. Able to bypass the academy if I attain 52 weeks post-cert experience, but I still have the black mark. Technically in the "resigned for personal reasons" camp instead of the "in lieu of termination/terminated" pile.

That being said, I'm driving home now. But if a small contract VFR tower is hurting for bodies, I'd drive 2000 miles back the way I just came to work traffic again. Count me down, not out!
Check out GCC airport. Gillette, Wyoming. Non-Federal contract tower. They've got an opening. Says they want 3-4 years of experience, but I'd still call on it in your position.
Air Traffic Controller

Will do in a heartbeat. You guys have been the biggest help since day one when it comes to finding info. Words honestly can't express how thankful I am.
It's really great hearing that, so thanks. Hopefully everything works out and you'll have reason to stick around much longer.

Yeah, the guy that scored highest is going there.

Anyone know anything about PAO??
According to ATADS, they did 160K ops fiscal yr 2017... I don't know anything personally about the tower... According to FAA they're VFR tower only, not even limited radar, so I don't think they even have a dbrite... PPT shows 9 CPCs w 11 target... 3 in training, 1 inbound, 2 outbounds, w a healthy 66% success rate... Sounds like there will always be traffic! Haha best of luck... Congrats

PDK is by far the best option on that list as far as places to live/work if you had no desires to try and move on elsewhere quickly. A level 7 VFR tower is no joke though.

PDK is by far the best option on that list as far as places to live/work if you had no desires to try and move on elsewhere quickly. A level 7 VFR tower is no joke though.
Agreed, can't believe PDK dropped to 2. I'd even say if you wanted to move somewhere quickly PDK is great too. Well respected and won't ever have issues bringing people in to PDK.

Back
Top Bottom