Terminal Class pass rate

In my opinion These options have been great The last couple of classes, I hope that continues. I think it was 2 months ago or so where the class was Given towers that were all BFE frozen tundras and then Monroe. So it definitely has improved which gives me hope ??

In my opinion These options have been great The last couple of classes, I hope that continues. I think it was 2 months ago or so where the class was Given towers that were all BFE frozen tundras and then Monroe. So it definitely has improved which gives me hope ??
Don’t you want it to be bad now so it can be better later?

it's all based on the KSN staffing sheets anyways (like the excerpt Shikaka posted). Though trying to predict it or decide how/when they'll skip somewhere is more voodoo than anything.

Don’t you want it to be bad now so it can be better later?
Valid point but there’s so many towers out there that’d it be impossible for all the grads to get them before I get assigned. I’m more just happy seeing that it’s certainly possible to have good lists. It was looking rough awhile back

it's all based on the KSN staffing sheets anyways (like the excerpt Shikaka posted). Though trying to predict it or decide how/when they'll skip somewhere is more voodoo than anything.
Right. I just like seeing consistent lists of towers I’d like to be at. It gives me hope so I’ll take it.

more than likely that means it won't be available whenever you get to that point in the process.
it also doesn't mean that. It literally doesn't mean anything. The only way to semi-predict what's coming is by looking at the placement lists and even then sometimes they manipulate and skip places for whatever reason. Looking at staffing sheets/lists before it's your official list are basically useless and a giant waste of time.

Any current controllers have any stories about their first facilities? There are so many possible low level towers, I'm curious what some of them are like, not to mention the surrounding areas.

Any current controllers have any stories about their first facilities? There are so many possible low level towers, I'm curious what some of them are like, not to mention the surrounding areas.
Each tower is going to be completely different. Best option would be to ask several questions you're curious about. I could tell you I came to mine with 4 others and only 2 of us certified, and 10 have arrived since we have and that's only given us 3 CPCs, but it doesn't really tell you anything other than the numbers.

it's false hope, but ok.
False hope that’ll I’ll get lucky with a good list? That doesn’t make any sense. I’m just an optimist ?‍♂️

Yeah you don't want to see your facilities offered to other classes, more than likely that means it won't be available whenever you get to that point in the process.
I’m seeing facilities that I like that I would have never thought to look up/at in the first place. I know what you mean but I just like seeing consistent nice lists instead of the BFE frozen tundras that we’re getting offered quite a bit. I understand it’s mostly a crapshoot. I’m just hopeful I will also have a nice list to choose from. Either way, it is what it is.

Last edited:
Each tower is going to be completely different. Best option would be to ask several questions you're curious about. I could tell you I came to mine with 4 others and only 2 of us certified, and 10 have arrived since we have and that's only given us 3 CPCs, but it doesn't really tell you anything other than the numbers.

I mean that's some interesting info to me haha. I guess stuff like: How accurate was the projected training time compared to your experience? Any issues living on AG pay for the first year or two? Did you have to save as much as possible or was it pretty comfortable? When you started out were you single or did you bring a family with you? What's the area surrounding your facility like and how far were you willing to commute to work? How long did it take to find a place to rent/live?

Stuff like that I guess. I tried browsing the individual facility threads but no one really posts to those

Bold of you to assume people managed to get out of their low-level tower "first" facilities

Lol I knew someone was going to catch that. I guess I would ask: is life at a smaller facility improved enough by having CPC pay over AG pay to make getting stuck there more manageable?

it also doesn't mean that. It literally doesn't mean anything. The only way to semi-predict what's coming is by looking at the placement lists and even then sometimes they manipulate and skip places for whatever reason. Looking at staffing sheets/lists before it's your official list are basically useless and a giant waste of time.
I'm not saying it's a way to predict anything, just that the more you see your dream facility come up the more likely it will be "staffed" well enough to move down the priority list.

But I agree to somewhat have an idea or what coming your way you have to delve into the list.
I mean that's some interesting info to me haha. I guess stuff like: How accurate was the projected training time compared to your experience? Any issues living on AG pay for the first year or two? Did you have to save as much as possible or was it pretty comfortable? When you started out were you single or did you bring a family with you? What's the area surrounding your facility like and how far were you willing to commute to work? How long did it take to find a place to rent/live?

Stuff like that I guess. I tried browsing the individual facility threads but no one really posts to those

Lol I knew someone was going to catch that. I guess I would ask: is life at a smaller facility improved enough by having CPC pay over AG pay to make getting stuck there more manageable?
It's really going to depend of where you live at if it's on the west coast it will be harder to survive on AG pay vs someplace in the south. As far as training time at this moment those aren't accurate, if you are finishing at the academy anytime soon you can expect a delay if there are others ahead of you, and that's if you can get in the building right away.

As far as the other questions. My first facility was a 5 in Indiana and we got there right after the local college started up so it was hard to find decent housing. We ended up going with a 3/2 apartment for me my wife and 1 year old and that cost $1200 a month. It was a pain because I have the sole income, but it was doable. After D3 you could pretty much afford a house I think the average at the time was around 160k. My advice for anyone going through the process is start saving now, when you are at the academy and get per diem save it if you can. You never know how long you will be on AG pay at your facility, it could be years.

Yeah, but it doesn't really give any meaningful info other than we've had a bad streak of people washing. I certified in 7 months and had a kid halfway between ground and local, it's about 8 months to a year average for certifying if you really need it.

Reno is slowly surpassing some areas in Cali for rent and other stuff, we pay a little over 2k for a 3/2 house and home prices are well into the 500k and up range. It's also getting more expensive with Tesla/Google/Amazon etc etc we're also the regional hub for medical so we have about 4 major hospitals within the Charlie.

It was tight starting out, I came in married with a pregnant wife and AG pay was tight but I was luckily enough to move on to D1 in just a couple months. Had a buddy who was stuck at AG for over a year and it was draining them (wife and kid) and their savings.

The area around Reno is an absolute dream for anyone even moderately interested in the outdoors, the Sierra range has everything just 30 minutes west and the desert has it's own to offer just to the east. Reno itself is a foodie heaven, tons of culture and plenty to do for anyone interested in just about anything. Sacramento is at most a 2 hour drive, with the Bay just beyond. Making it a day trip and easily accessible.

For commuting, just about everything in Reno is 15 minutes away. Whether you're taking the 80 across town, or going to the gas station, it's about 15 minutes. Some people commute in from Fallon and Fernley making it a 45+ minute drive. But plenty of places to live within a 15/20 minute drive too.

Stuff like that I guess.
I got sent to Van Nuys right off the bat, no experience, all the way across the country from where I grew up and all my family and friends were.

I packed all my belongings into my Ford Focus and moved to OKC for 3 months before heading to Cali. I got lucky this was during the time you could rent a room in OKC for 300 a month and bank the rest of the per diem, which is the only way I was able to save. Being single I ended up finding a room for rent near-ish to the facility on Craigslist that lasted about 6 months since I didn’t know shit about living in LA lol.

Making 50k a year as an AG and about 95k as a CPC was a challenge for the west coast, but not impossible. Just have to live with roommates for a while and then get your ass to a level 12 ASAP.

Appreciate the info everyone. Surprised so many people were already married/had families straight out of the academy. Can anyone estimate approximately what the take-home pay is on an AG salary? I know it depends on taxes in your location and stuff

Appreciate the info everyone. Surprised so many people were already married/had families straight out of the academy. Can anyone estimate approximately what the take-home pay is on an AG salary? I know it depends on taxes in your location and stuff
Faq.

Back
Top Bottom