Up/Down. Can a tower certified controller with OJTI training train someone in the tower before being CPC?

You need to be a CPC. Can’t train d sides at the center either. But I heard they used to back in the day.

Last edited:
Or do they need to CPC before they can train anyone else?
Yes, but if their radar training goes poorly the trb wont look favorably on mgmt for making a struggling trainee train another trainee. But it’s legal for someone to train others on positions they are certified on.

It’s frowned upon, you only usually see it when there is a critical shortage of staff

I don’t think it’s allowed but regardless it’d be a terrible practice. For one, that instructor would likely not have very much time on the position to be comfortable. Second, the focus of any trainee should be certifying on the rest of their positions. Not training other controllers.

Yes, but if their radar training goes poorly the trb wont look favorably on mgmt for making a struggling trainee train another trainee. But it’s legal for someone to train others on positions they are certified on.

It’s frowned upon, you only usually see it when there is a critical shortage of staff
It’s more than frowned upon, It’s not allowed anccording to the order. unless they apply for a waiver. I’ve known of a few that have been approved. Particularly if the person has been certified elsewhere or have been certified in the tower a long time, had a lengthy delay for rtf, and don’t have many ojti.

If they don’t have a waiver the answer is no. If they haven’t it’s stupid they even sent them to ojti basics

ZNY had a waiver for that and D2's were training AG's in the pit

I did my OJTI class at ZNY and out of 10 or 12 people only me and 1 other had ever talked to a plane before. The rest were ZNY’s trainees certified in The Pit getting ready to train the AG’s. Some of them had been at ZNY 3+ years and still didn’t know what area they were going to.

We got a waiver to be able to train D sides before we hit a year CPC. We had a few controllers (myself included) who got D sides before Covid but CPCed after.

I did my OJTI class at ZNY and out of 10 or 12 people only me and 1 other had ever talked to a plane before. The rest were ZNY’s trainees certified in The Pit getting ready to train the AG’s. Some of them had been at ZNY 3+ years and still didn’t know what area they were going to.
What is the pit?

Back
Top Bottom