Current CPC % to Target
-
Projected CPC % to Target
-

Updated --/--/----

Operational Info​

Local Area​

External Links​

I believe the washout numbers are a little skewed and from a couple years ago. I definitely think ZMP is a little harder on some things in training compared to other centers. It's black and white here though what you need to do to pass. With recently 100+ trainees in the building, people are bound to washout, it just happens.

You need to get a certain percentage right on your maps, call signs, and airport identifiers. If you don't, then they give you one more chance. If you fail again, you're gone. Other centers I hear give their trainees the maps, call signs, and identifiers and say "let me know when you have them memorized, then we'll give the test" here you have a strict schedule, a couple days for the airports and callsigns to a couple weeks for the maps, and ready or not you're taking the test. Also the DYSIM/TTL here is hard. It's hard everywhere though. I think ZMP is just not as forgiving as some other centers. I tell friends at other centers we wash people out in the DYSIM if they can’t hack it and they’re shocked, saying they never do that. Also I’ve heard of people washing out of an area at other centers, then their center puts them in another area for a second chance.... they don’t do that here.

Training is hard period, it sucks, especially when it lasts over 2years, as much as it is fun, it's exhausting, and that’s everywhere facility to facility.

Last edited:
That is exactly the way that it should be. I'm all for train to succeed but we're ending up with SO many controller getting fully certified that have no business being certified at their facilities. Everyone is a nice person, but not everyone can be a controller.

I believe the washout numbers are a little skewed and from a couple years ago. I definitely think ZMP is a little harder on some things in training compared to other centers. It's black and white here though what you need to do to pass. With recently 100+ trainees in the building, people are bound to washout, it just happens.

You need to get a certain percentage right on your maps, call signs, and airport identifiers. If you don't, then they give you one more chance. If you fail again, you're gone. Other centers I hear give their trainees the maps, call signs, and identifiers and say "let me know when you have them memorized, then we'll give the test" here you have a strict schedule, a couple days for the airports and callsigns to a couple weeks for the maps, and ready or not you're taking the test. Also the DYSIM/TTL here is hard. It's hard everywhere though. I think ZMP is just not as forgiving as some other centers. I tell friends at other centers we wash people out in the DYSIM if they can’t hack it and they’re shocked, saying they never do that. Also I’ve heard of people washing out of an area at other centers, then their center puts them in another area for a second chance.... they don’t do that here.

Training is hard period, it sucks, especially when it lasts over 2years, as much as it is fun, it's exhausting, and that’s everywhere facility to facility.
When my class came through, only two of us from our 8 made it all the way through. They didn't waste time on people who they felt were not going to make it or didn't have the drivr/attitude. Heck, we lost two on non-radar from my class!

When my class came through, only two of us from our 8 made it all the way through. They didn't waste time on people who they felt were not going to make it or didn't have the drivr/attitude. Heck, we lost two on non-radar from my class!

Dang, 2 of 8 is pretty bad. Was Brian from Jacksonville in your class? I think I remember him telling me about that. My class ended up going 4 for 6 on making it to CPC. You still here at ZMP?

Yeah HenryTheAce I tried to shoot you a PM as well but it wouldn’t let me either.

I would also add the airport control at ZMP. There are very few approach controls, so the center is responsible for a ton of class D and uncontrolled airports that can be decently busy. So learning how to get people in and out of these airports efficiently without busting separation can be tricky for many. It's just something that you don't really get at the busier centers since there are a bunch of approach controls underneath them.

I would also add the airport control at ZMP. There are very few approach controls, so the center is responsible for a ton of class D and uncontrolled airports that can be decently busy. So learning how to get people in and out of these airports efficiently without busting separation can be tricky for many. It's just something that you don't really get at the busier centers since there are a bunch of approach controls underneath them.
My area had tons if non radar. Heck when they'd take out one site. We'd have areas of non radar up to 430

Going to ZMP, any additional information you guys can share about training, places to live, etc?
I used to live in Eden Prairie, SW edge of city, liked that. Considering ZMP is in Farmington, southern edge/suburb, I’d start looking there. Nice area, quieter, residential, good schools.

Going to ZMP, any additional information you guys can share about training, places to live, etc?
Decent place to work when I was there. Living there sucked unless you’re really into ice fishing. I spent 5 years in Farmington, it’s fine if you want to be close to work, but there’s not much of anything in town.

Lakeville and Apple Valley are where you’ll find a lot of coworkers and fellow trainees. Suburbia at its finest.

I just moved to ZMP from the class that finished at the academy about 3 weeks ago. I got a place in Apple Valley and I really like the location. 15 minutes to work and 20ish minutes to the city. Lakeville also isn't a bad choice from what I can tell. You'll probably be looking at a minimum of 1400/month for a place wherever you end up based on what I saw from my apartment search. Been in a training hold for about 10-11 weeks now and 3 classes are in the queue ahead of the one filling now.

All of the southern suburbs are nice but not that interesting, definitely suburbia. You’re reverse commuting so traffic shouldn’t be too bad going to work if you live closer to mpls. South mpls and highland park about 30 minutes away if you want actual culture and things to do.

I'm not an ATC yet but I live close to ZMP. Apple Valley, Lakeville, Eagan, or Burnsville will most likely be your best options. The other guy said Eden Prairie but that's like 40 minutes away from the facility without traffic. Overall, the south metro is pretty nice, safe, relatively low crime compared to the rest of the metro. Let me know if you have any other questions related to the area.

I just moved to ZMP from the class that finished at the academy about 3 weeks ago. I got a place in Apple Valley and I really like the location. 15 minutes to work and 20ish minutes to the city. Lakeville also isn't a bad choice from what I can tell. You'll probably be looking at a minimum of 1400/month for a place wherever you end up based on what I saw from my apartment search. Been in a training hold for about 10-11 weeks now and 3 classes are in the queue ahead of the one filling now.

I've heard about the training, kind of sucks. I found a place in Burnsville that had some good reviews

Back
Top Bottom