Medical Alcohol Use Disorders and FAA

Lima Lima

I ♥ pointSixtyFive
This is a bit embarrassing and personal but here goes nothing. Currently AD Air Force, early 30s, dual-rated, and will have AOC experience shortly. I got arrested last year on base for drunk and disorderly conduct. Long story short, went to in-patient treatment and was diagnosed with an AUD. I graduated and have sober since the event and actually feel a million times healthier, happier, and better. I would love to serve past 20 years but I had an epiphany: the chances of me relapsing with alcohol down the road are a real possibility and I would get the boot if it happens. Being a realist/pessimist, I don’t want to get booted and be past my 36th birthday missing my chance for the FAA or DoD.

With that being said, what is the FAA’s policy regarding AUDs and alcohol-related incidences?

Any information on this subject would be greatly appreciated!

This is a bit embarrassing and personal but here goes nothing. Currently AD Air Force, early 30s, dual-rated, and will have AOC experience shortly. I got arrested last year on base for drunk and disorderly conduct. Long story short, went to in-patient treatment and was diagnosed with an AUD. I graduated and have sober since the event and actually feel a million times healthier, happier, and better. I would love to serve past 20 years but I had an epiphany: the chances of me relapsing with alcohol down the road are a real possibility and I would get the boot if it happens. Being a realist/pessimist, I don’t want to get booted and be past my 36th birthday missing my chance for the FAA or DoD.

With that being said, what is the FAA’s policy regarding AUDs and alcohol-related incidences?

Any information on this subject would be greatly appreciated!

You will have a very hard time getting a medical in the FAA with that

I'm not military, but I had a DUI when I was 21(7 years ago), fairly high BAC, and I had to jump through some hoops. They told me the fact that its been 7 years without any other incidences was a good thing.

There's two hurdles in your way, the MMPI and medical. The mmpi has some alcohol/trouble with the law related questions. I'm not saying you're automatically going to fail it, I didn't, but your odds of failing it are higher. And tons of people fail it for stupid reasons, so that's not the end of the road, but that aspect could delay you.
Medical department will want a lengthy and specific statement (that lines up with the records). And possibly more, like an evaluation with a professional.
You have two things going against you here. Your recorded diagnosis, and that it was a recent event.
They care about this because supposedly there is a correlation with previous drinking problems and relapse in pilots and controllers.
My OPINION: it's not looking good for you.
But then again, I'm not a flight surgeon. I say go for it. Worst they can say is "no".

FAA has a last-chance letter policy forcing total abstention from substance use for those issued one. Pop once, you're automatically terminated. So that 'good chance of relapse'...yeah don't ever say that.

Now I'm not sure if one enters the agency on one of those letters or not.

If you’re a single then I would get out and go do contracting, I had a coworker that got in trouble in the AF and had to go to ADAPT. He got out of the AF and after taking a few months off he went and did contracting overseas. He had no problem getting the gig due to his alcohol incident and is making plenty of money out there. Enough to go and travel around. I’m sure if you have a CTO you can contract stateside as well in the meantime while you wait on the FAA.

I also had a NAAM who got a DUI off-Base and he separated and got picked up for an active guard gig.

Obviously these are just two examples I’m giving, but what I’m trying to say is it isn’t impossible.

FAA has a last-chance letter policy forcing total abstention from substance use for those issued one. Pop once, you're automatically terminated. So that 'good chance of relapse'...yeah don't ever say that.

Now I'm not sure if one enters the agency on one of those letters or not.
Hey I said "supposedly". That's just the way my medical contact made it sound. I don't agree with it in every instance. They just said they want to make sure any issues are resolved. They made me get a completely new alcohol assessment. And my AME made a good point. He said , " it might be a hassle, but in 10 years, if you do something stupid, and alcohol is involved, and medical DIDN'T check all the right boxes, that flight surgeon is going to be in an uncomfortable situation.

As far as the last chance agreement on starting, I have heard about that one. I think it's called something else, like an abstinence agreement. A coworker of mine got into trouble as a teen. Some underage consumption shit. It sounded ridiculous. But they had him sign one of those.

Lima, I've heard from multiple sources that if you started drinking at a particularly early age, and that is in any records from prior assessments/evaluations, thats may also be a concern to medical. Obviously I don't know everything about your particular case, and I don't want to discourage you. I just want you to be informed.

Hey I said "supposedly". That's just the way my medical contact made it sound. I don't agree with it in every instance. They just said they want to make sure any issues are resolved. They made me get a completely new alcohol assessment. And my AME made a good point. He said , " it might be a hassle, but in 10 years, if you do something stupid, and alcohol is involved, and medical DIDN'T check all the right boxes, that flight surgeon is going to be in an uncomfortable situation.

As far as the last chance agreement on starting, I have heard about that one. I think it's called something else, like an abstinence agreement. A coworker of mine got into trouble as a teen. Some underage consumption shit. It sounded ridiculous. But they had him sign one of those.

Lima, I've heard from multiple sources that if you started drinking at a particularly early age, and that is in any records from prior assessments/evaluations, thats may also be a concern to medical. Obviously I don't know everything about your particular case, and I don't want to discourage you. I just want you to be informed.

I appreciate the input. Anything and everything I can get to make informed decision. I did some digging around and it sounds like I’ll need at least 2 years sobriety at a minimum to be considered for a special issuance of a medical cert.

Back
Top Bottom