Change of Station leave

astrocomet

I’m already getting pushback on trying to take COS at my current facility leading up to my release date. I know COS is typically taken on the receiving facility’s side, but the contract doesn’t state that this is required. Article 29 of the CBA states that, “up to 64 hours of excused absence, as requested by the employee, shall be granted...” I take this to mean that if I request it, I have to be given it.

In your opinion, do you think I have a good shot at a grievance and getting this time off prior to a release date?

Second question: I know Article 58 is typically related to stuff with a PCS move (which mine is not). However, can I apply Section 15 of this article to my situation and address it in my possible grievance for getting the COS? This section states, “Employees shall be authorized a reasonable amount of duty time for travel to a new duty station.” I believe the wording of Artcle 29 above will fully cover my grievance, but I was just curious about this additional section (if I can call COS duty time).

I’m already getting pushback on trying to take COS at my current facility leading up to my release date. I know COS is typically taken on the receiving facility’s side, but the contract doesn’t state that this is required. Article 29 of the CBA states that, “up to 64 hours of excused absence, as requested by the employee, shall be granted...” I take this to mean that if I request it, I have to be given it.

In your opinion, do you think I have a good shot at a grievance and getting this time off prior to a release date?

Second question: I know Article 58 is typically related to stuff with a PCS move (which mine is not). However, can I apply Section 15 of this article to my situation and address it in my possible grievance for getting the COS? This section states, “Employees shall be authorized a reasonable amount of duty time for travel to a new duty station.” I believe the wording of Artcle 29 above will fully cover my grievance, but I was just curious about this additional section (if I can call COS duty time).
My facility is letting me take it all beforehand. My FLM said the way she understood it is that I could take it before or after at my own discretion as long as the ATMs are both aware of when I am taking the time so I don’t attempt to double dip and take it on both ends. We also had a guy leave before me that took the time and split it half before and the rest after arriving. Not sure if my facility was just chill about it, if moving across the country helped or if I just pushed for it and got it okay’d. The contract is not black and white so I don’t see the issue. Good luck!

It shouldn't have to come to a grievance as it's black and white in the contract. It shall be approved. With something this simple I wouldn't waste your time writing up a grievance and waiting for the response. If your Facility Rep can't get it worked out for you, shoot a message to your RVP, he'd contact your ATM's district manager and they'd be educated from above.I'd definitely take it on the front end, show up ready to go at your new facility on Day 1.

It shouldn't have to come to a grievance as it's black and white in the contract. It shall be approved. With something this simple I wouldn't waste your time writing up a grievance and waiting for the response. If your Facility Rep can't get it worked out for you, shoot a message to your RVP, he'd contact your ATM's district manager and they'd be educated from above.I'd definitely take it on the front end, show up ready to go at your new facility on Day 1.

Thanks, that’s a really good idea. I’ll try that route for sure.

I had the same discussion at my facility with my release date. The explanation that I got was that COS being granted doesn't mean its the same as being approved. It just means you will possess 64 hours of COS leave in your "leave bank" to use within two years. It is subject to the same leave rules that everyone else has to follow.

I disagree but oh well. There are always other forms of leave (*cough* *cough*)

I had the same discussion at my facility with my release date. The explanation that I got was that COS being granted doesn't mean its the same as being approved. It just means you will possess 64 hours of COS leave in your "leave bank" to use within two years. It is subject to the same leave rules that everyone else has to follow.

I disagree but oh well. There are always other forms of leave (*cough* *cough*)
The explanation you got was wrong, and it's a shame your local rep didn't have your back on this. COS is not leave, it's excused absence. It has its own article separate from any articles relating to leave. Article 29 clearly state that the request the employee makes shall be granted. It leaves no wiggle room for management to deny it.

I’ve used it at 3 facilities now, and each one gave me a bit of push back with regard to daily staffing numbers. It was treated as a leave request, they had to have enough staffing without me to approve it.

I’ve used it at 3 facilities now, and each one gave me a bit of push back with regard to daily staffing numbers. It was treated as a leave request, they had to have enough staffing without me to approve it.
Another example of management either not being able to comprehend the English language, or not caring that they're violating the contract. What did the three union reps at those facilities have to say as you were getting the shaft by the front office?

I hate that the Article on COS seems to be so grey to management. It definitely seems black and white to me and so many other people. The wording on that section definitely needs to be amended in the future.

My current facility is very well staffed (DEN) and yet my ATM is telling me I can take my COS on the A80 side of things. It’s amusing to me that he thinks this is ok. When you compare staffing numbers, he’s now essentially shorting a very low staffed facility when he could cover my excused absence easily. Yes, I know I’m not useful at A80 until I get checked out on something, but he’s only delaying my training if he accomplishes what he wants. If anything, I could probably fight for a 2 week earlier release date and then take COS the same dates that I’m requesting, and then it would be considered on the A80 side of things. I just feel that would be a harder battle than what I’m trying to fight now.

Yah that doesn’t make any sense from a well staffed facility like DEN. Is it still Valencia there? I am surprised not at all that Riley isn’t stepping up if he’s still facrep there.

I hate that the Article on COS seems to be so grey to management. It definitely seems black and white to me and so many other people. The wording on that section definitely needs to be amended in the future.

My current facility is very well staffed (DEN) and yet my ATM is telling me I can take my COS on the A80 side of things. It’s amusing to me that he thinks this is ok. When you compare staffing numbers, he’s now essentially shorting a very low staffed facility when he could cover my excused absence easily. Yes, I know I’m not useful at A80 until I get checked out on something, but he’s only delaying my training if he accomplishes what he wants. If anything, I could probably fight for a 2 week earlier release date and then take COS the same dates that I’m requesting, and then it would be considered on the A80 side of things. I just feel that would be a harder battle than what I’m trying to fight now.
It doesn't need to be amended. It needs to be read by a manager who can comprehend middle school English. On top of that, you need to get in touch with a union official who will fight for you on this.

Yah that doesn’t make any sense from a well staffed facility like DEN. Is it still Valencia there? I am surprised not at all that Riley isn’t stepping up if he’s still facrep there.

No, Valencia left awhile ago and he’s in L.A. now. Area service manager maybe? I can’t remember. We had a temp ATM for a bit, and now we have Kirk Swanson from Billings. He was a temp OM here awhile back for one year. So far as ATM he’s... well, you see how he denied my COS, so you can assume how he is as an ATM. And yes, Riley is still our facrep.

The explanation you got was wrong, and it's a shame your local rep didn't have your back on this. COS is not leave, it's excused absence. It has its own article separate from any articles relating to leave. Article 29 clearly state that the request the employee makes shall be granted. It leaves no wiggle room for management to deny it.
This.

If you are moving to a higher level facility keep in mind those days off are worth more on the back end. (Doesn't seem to apply to the original poster) If you need the time off to move though, it should be granted.

If you are moving to a higher level facility keep in mind those days off are worth more on the back end. (Doesn't seem to apply to the original poster) If you need the time off to move though, it should be granted.

True, however I am trying to get started in training ASAP and don’t want to miss classes and delay the potential start. The money is paid the same date, so to me it’s kinda moot.

I've heard that but it makes zero sense. Your pay changes on a certain date no matter where you are located. I don't see how you "save" any money per se. I guess its saying that taking leave after your release dates means you are being paid slightly more not to come to work. But what is really the point? After a long wait, why postpone starting at facility B if you can help it?

Ask me if I would rather have 8 days of paid leave at 30 an hour or 50 an hour, and I can give you my answer... But its not all about the money when it comes to when you want to start a new position and get things rolling. Easier to start a lease on an apartment at the beginning of a month. Many other things that can factor in a persons decision.

Back
Top Bottom