Do I have this right?

AirTC2016

Hey guys,

I’ve been doing my best to sort through all this info. I am the wife of a controller trying to go from EUG to ALMOST anywhere in FL (Not TPA or MIA for starters..).

From what I’ve gathered EUG is considered Cat 2, meaning they are staffed nicely and able to let a body go within 12 months. I have looked through the Priority Placement Tool and all other resources possible to try and figure out which facilities my husband might have a shot at. The Facility and Priority Vacancy List seems to be from December, but is that my best resource to figure out which facilities can accept people? For example, Jacksonville is listed at #73 and able to pick up 7 people. PIE is listed at #214 and says eligible to pick up 0.

Based on that info, an ERR to PIE would result in nothing but an ERR to Jacksonville would be a yes? (obviously there are circumstances I know that could change my very simple summary..)

Thanks! Trying to make this process as quick and efficient as possible :)

What do you know about the FAA overstaffing level 7’s and below. I read the NCEPT minutes and saw two controllers were given a waiver on this matter to level 9s though...

I feel like my husband is racing against some other people. Mainly they want to go to DEN, Seattle Tower, SLC... the two I’m worries about are trying for Hunstville, AL and Prescott, AZ. I just have this feeling one more person to go and EUG shuts down.

What do you know about the FAA overstaffing level 7’s and below. I read the NCEPT minutes and saw two controllers were given a waiver on this matter to level 9s though...

I feel like my husband is racing against some other people. Mainly they want to go to DEN, Seattle Tower, SLC... the two I’m worries about are trying for Hunstville, AL and Prescott, AZ. I just have this feeling one more person to go and EUG shuts down.
Exactly. For him to get to FL, none of the other 18 CPC's at EUG can have ERR's in (and get selected) for a facility ranked 1-72. I'm in a similar situation and have 4 ERR's in to facilities in the top 10 and even I don't like my odds, but hey this new process has turned me into a gigantic pessimist.
As far as the facilities you listed and were worried about.
DEN - No chance
SEA - No chance
SLC - No chance
HSV - No chance
PRC - No chance

What FL facilities does your husband have ERR's into? If you don't mind me asking what makes you cross off TPA?

May I ask why you say No chance for HSV and PRC? That makes me feel slightly more comfortable.. I hate how much this process is making me root against other people..

Ideally we would love FPR, VRB, PIE, SRQ, maybe JAX because it looks the most promising..

My husband is from south of Tampa and doesn’t want to deal with the commute to that airport and I guess he hasn’t heard great things about it.. Do you have any insight to that airport?

Just to clarify, my husband didn’t make this panel so we will try for the next one.

The priority list currently shows HSV and PRC as being able to pick up 0 people. I originally said 'no chance' as well because they were so far down the list assuming your husband had put in ERR's for this panel.

As far as insight goes. TPA used to have an awful...AWFUL ATM, but she's since retired and the facility has started to get a lot better from what I've heard, but if you compare it to Jax, TPA is wayyyyy better.

Good to know! Any info you’d like to share about any other FL airports? From the numbers from Dec it looked like TPA, MIA, and JAX were our only options... ORL could pick up 1 but I’m sure that will be filled. and its a level 5. I guess beggars can’t be choosers sometimes though.

Good to know! Any info you’d like to share about any other FL airports? From the numbers from Dec it looked like TPA, MIA, and JAX were our only options... ORL could pick up 1 but I’m sure that will be filled. and its a level 5. I guess beggars can’t be choosers sometimes though.

Regarding not wanting MIA or TPA for starters, but being willing to go to JAX. I have heard JAX is one of the most difficult up/downs in the FAA. It might not be more difficult than MIA, but it is certainly more difficult than TPA. I'm not saying don't go but just realize it's not a cake walk.

Thanks for the info! We learned pretty quickly JAX is NOT where my husband wants to go... We would rather stay in EUG than deal with all that it sounds like. Plus not an ideal location.

I guess the TRACON is really hard and a lot of foreign pilots. Another controller told me no structure there and apparently JAX and Daytona are known as being difficult places to work. Someone said the tower is a 5, TRACON 11, and it averages out to a level 9.

I guess the TRACON is really hard and a lot of foreign pilots. Another controller told me no structure there and apparently JAX and Daytona are known as being difficult places to work. Someone said the tower is a 5, TRACON 11, and it averages out to a level 9.
I imagine all the flight school traffic from the world's greatest aviation university (insert sarcastic remark here) might have something to do with that, must be a bear working at DAB especially.

Hey guys,

I’ve been doing my best to sort through all this info. I am the wife of a controller trying to go from EUG to ALMOST anywhere in FL (Not TPA or MIA for starters..).

From what I’ve gathered EUG is considered Cat 2, meaning they are staffed nicely and able to let a body go within 12 months. I have looked through the Priority Placement Tool and all other resources possible to try and figure out which facilities my husband might have a shot at. The Facility and Priority Vacancy List seems to be from December, but is that my best resource to figure out which facilities can accept people? For example, Jacksonville is listed at #73 and able to pick up 7 people. PIE is listed at #214 and says eligible to pick up 0.

Based on that info, an ERR to PIE would result in nothing but an ERR to Jacksonville would be a yes? (obviously there are circumstances I know that could change my very simple summary..)

Thanks! Trying to make this process as quick and efficient as possible :)

JAX has one of the highest washout rates in the country. Good luck!

Hahahaha, I work at the JAX. We haven't been doing so well on retaining anyone. Whether it's withdrawing from training or training failure.

Last edited:
Do you have any insight or info on TPA?
I was at RTF back in November with a dude that is at TPA. He ERR'ed there under the old process from PIE. Said it's pretty legit and that he enjoys it. Which he probably does enjoy it, being as he was originally from the Orlando area, basically up the road from where my wife and I are from. Jealousy ensues.

Back
Top Bottom