Easiest facilities for every dollar/ hardest facilities for every dollar

I suppose since SCT works a standalone 10 tracon more traffic than NCT, and a standalone 12 tracon more traffic than PCT I guess we should let them keep their 12.
I don't want any of them to lose their 12. I'm just saying theres controllers who both earn level 12 pay when one has to work much harder than the other every single day for their entire career. I'm all about going for the easiest level 12 money in the NAS (which is exactly what I did)

Just realize the lane you're in and have some perspective. We've had people transfer to other level 12's thinking hey, how bad could it be? I'm already certified at the highest level that exists in ATC right? And then when they plug in they get brought to their knees. Return rights are a beautiful thing :)

I don't want any of them to lose their 12. I'm just saying theres controllers who both earn level 12 pay when one has to work much harder than the other every single day for their entire career. I'm all about going for the easiest level 12 money in the NAS (which is exactly what I did)

Just realize the lane you're in and have some perspective. We've had people transfer to other level 12's thinking hey, how bad could it be? I'm already certified at the highest level that exists in ATC right? And then when they plug in they get brought to their knees. Return rights are a beautiful thing :)
Which one did we decide is easiest? James river

I've seen a dude that certified at ZJX and ZDV wash out at a level 7 up/down (the tower was essentially a 5). The older you get the harder it is to learn new things.

I would venture to guess that A80/C90 have non-ATL/ORD traffic that isn’t even remotely comparable to what NCT or SCT work. A80/C90 also use somewhere around 10+ controllers to work those busy banks with trips ops so the workload is spread out so much. Personally, all those guys earn their paychecks.
There is no avoiding ORD traffic. You either work ORD arrivals + MDW or ORD arrivals + ORD departures, with both of those having satellites as well. Some CPCs are certified to work the entire building.

Pretty sure A80 has a similar setup.

I would venture to guess that A80/C90 have non-ATL/ORD traffic that isn’t even remotely comparable to what NCT or SCT work. A80/C90 also use somewhere around 10+ controllers to work those busy banks with trips ops so the workload is spread out so much. Personally, all those guys earn their paychecks.
A80 has three feeder controllers, three final controllers, and three monitors (when weather dictates their need). Most of the busier times, six controllers work everything into ATL. There is more Atlanta satellite traffic at A80 than people realize until they visit or work it. It would probably be a 8-9 but it deals with chopped up airspace to miss the ATL arrivals/departures and close proximity airports (PDK, FTY, MGE, LZU, and RYY). Columbus, Macon, and Athens sectors would be standalone probably 6s-7s. Home college football games can get busy especially someone big coming into town. Sun n Fun is increased traffic. Plus, airplanes being rerouted around Atlanta satellite airspace so those people are constantly doing something (working airplanes, coordinating, being their own data that type of thing).

That goes both ways, you can have a prior D10, C90, A80 etc controller in your area or less than real 12 tracon and everyone have to work around them. Both scenarios are as likely. I do work at a 12 but further beyond 12 to 12 transfer, there is 7/8's in the country who would probably try to wash me. I'm not saying us consolidated tracon controllers are above any other flavor of traffic whether it's the same level or lower. LAX arrivals is one of the easiest to work at SCT, highest success rate, has the quickest checkout time and arguably best quality of life fwiw.

A80 has three feeder controllers, three final controllers, and three monitors (when weather dictates their need). Most of the busier times, six controllers work everything into ATL. There is more Atlanta satellite traffic at A80 than people realize until they visit or work it. It would probably be a 8-9 but it deals with chopped up airspace to miss the ATL arrivals/departures and close proximity airports (PDK, FTY, MGE, LZU, and RYY). Columbus, Macon, and Athens sectors would be standalone probably 6s-7s. Home college football games can get busy especially someone big coming into town. Sun n Fun is increased traffic. Plus, airplanes being rerouted around Atlanta satellite airspace so those people are constantly doing something (working airplanes, coordinating, being their own data that type of thing).
Yeah I’ve been to multiple facilities including A80 and C90. I didn’t remember the exact numbers or config hence the “around 10+” controllers needed cause I’m pretty sure C90 uses more. Either way, I’m not taking anything away from A80 or C90 or SCT or whoever. Everyone earns their money in completely different ways. Plenty deserve more tbh. A80 and C90 have the 2 busiest airports in the country. But neither come close to SCT or NCT on their non-primary airport traffic. But that’s to be expected when you’re comparing Southern/Northern California airspace compared to North/Central Georgia flying. Which has more GA planes flying around? That’s simple.

Again, not taking anything away from anyone. EVERY facility makes their money in different ways. It’s basically impossible to compare all the facilities around the country. They try to by comparing ops counts and using complexity formulas and whatever other ways they can put a number on something. The only thing that seems to be a constant throughout is the hardest facility in the NAS is whatever one you’re in now!

Yeah I’ve been to multiple facilities including A80 and C90. I didn’t remember the exact numbers or config hence the “around 10+” controllers needed cause I’m pretty sure C90 uses more. Either way, I’m not taking anything away from A80 or C90 or SCT or whoever. Everyone earns their money in completely different ways. Plenty deserve more tbh. A80 and C90 have the 2 busiest airports in the country. But neither come close to SCT or NCT on their non-primary airport traffic. But that’s to be expected when you’re comparing Southern/Northern California airspace compared to North/Central Georgia flying. Which has more GA planes flying around? That’s simple.

Again, not taking anything away from anyone. EVERY facility makes their money in different ways. It’s basically impossible to compare all the facilities around the country. They try to by comparing ops counts and using complexity formulas and whatever other ways they can put a number on something. The only thing that seems to be a constant throughout is the hardest facility in the NAS is whatever one you’re in now!
I mean C90 has midway as a non primary as well as Oshkosh every year

I mean C90 has midway as a non primary as well as Oshkosh every year
SCT has VNY, LGB, SNA, and SAN. All of which have more tower ops than MDW this year. NCT has OAK which has done similar ops to MDW so far. D10 has DAL, MIA has FLL etc...

As I said, none of this makes any of these facilities "harder" than the rest. It's just different traffic than ORD and ATL which are beasts on their own.

SCT has VNY, LGB, SNA, and SAN. All of which have more tower ops than MDW this year. NCT has OAK which has done similar ops to MDW so far. D10 has DAL, MIA has FLL etc...

As I said, none of this makes any of these facilities "harder" than the rest. It's just different traffic than ORD and ATL which are beasts on their own.
Descend via is tough the 1000 time I say it daily tho

Back
Top Bottom