Enroute Class pass rate

I think a lot of it comes down to the personalities of the class. Our class is super close and does everything together. We see other classes that barley talk though and I would imagine that’s not good for studying together.
Are you in OKC right now?

Not defending the instructors, or even the students.

I’d agree that some students get it, some don’t. I’ve seen the classes getting dismissed or going to lunch and some talk with each other, some don’t. “Supposedly there are statistics that state study groups work better than those groups that don’t do study groups” I put that in quotes cause until I see hard evidence from a 3rd party company doing the testing it’s just a statement. Might be true, might not.

That being said, I’ve learned plenty from the study groups my class has done. Whether it’s improper phraseology or a concept, it’s helped. It’s helped to see other people’s ideas and ways of studying.

The instructors in my opinion(aside from two that really pissed me off) are really good. They aren’t FAA, they used to be, but they are contracted now as instructors. They hold no stock in your passing or failing. Take it for what it’s worth, but over all as a generalization they give you plenty of hints and guidance to what you need to study so you can pass.

A class of 3/11? I’d like to know myself what went wrong, but I doubt it was the instructors or even being in okc too long. You’ll be at a center way longer, does that mean you’ll have a higher chance to fail the longer you’re there? If anything, more time = more experience. ?‍♂️

Not saying that the academy is easy nor that it should be. But what was the difference of last weeks class vs this one?

Or any class in the past where one class had a high success rate and the other didn’t. That needs to be looked at. Likewise is it the instructors or the students? I guess I just find it hard to believe that more then half of the people are not capable to get passed OKC.

If you’re this psyched now, just wait till you’re standing outside the lab waiting to start your eval and they call your name and you start pinching loaves.

Don’t get caught in the mud of statistics and what ifs.

HR puts a random group of people together. You get classes were more people are smart and you get classes with a bunch of wash outs.

not too get too deep in the weeds but....

washing out is highly subjective. Everyone who works at a center has at least a handful of people in their area who "aren't smart". Furthermore most of the people who will be training you on the floor did not go through the same OKC screen where the majority of classes were washing out (my class only had 1), yet are still highly capable of doing the job well. Im probably overthinking it but I reject that notion of a class getting a "bunch of washouts". Just sounds super harsh when its way more nuanced than that. I think the Academy is flawed and they have gone too far to an extreme with the washouts. Just my opinion!

not too get too deep in the weeds but....

washing out is highly subjective. Everyone who works at a center has at least a handful of people in their area who "aren't smart". Furthermore most of the people who will be training you on the floor did not go through the same OKC screen where the majority of classes were washing out (my class only had 1), yet are still highly capable of doing the job well. Im probably overthinking it but I reject that notion of a class getting a "bunch of washouts". Just sounds super harsh when its way more nuanced than that. I think the Academy is flawed and they have gone too far to an extreme with the washouts. Just my opinion!
Just being out of the academy a year, I wouldn’t say it was extreme. Coming from our small sample size of a class, everyone who passed or didn’t pass was deserving of each. All of the eval problems had concepts you saw multiple times in the practice problems, just applied differently. It was really just about having the phraseology down and knowing the airspace. As long as you had a decent amount of points going into them and didn’t make a sep error, it shouldn’t be hard to pass each eval. Some of the “controller judgement” non TR-able errors slapped on people by some of the evaluators I would consider extreme though.

The real test is just handling the pressure of it all.

I think it’s more affordable than people think
Just looking at housing, it seems to be reasonable as long as youre not trying to live in brooklyn. Did run a tax check, and youre looking at losing almost 1k/month compared to states with no state tax. Thats the killer for me, being from FL

Just looking at housing, it seems to be reasonable as long as youre not trying to live in brooklyn. Did run a tax check, and youre looking at losing almost 1k/month compared to states with no state tax. Thats the killer for me, being from FL
That’s killer for you Bro, but you must be assuming N90 pay, because it takes at least 190K a year to be paying 10K a month more in NY tax vs. a no income tax state. Plus while they are probably better deals overall the zero income tax states find other more creative ways to get money. Yearly taxes for cars or luxury items based on their residual value, mandatory fees for services that are free in most states, insane costs to register a car or for certain permits, etc.....

That’s killer for you Bro, but you must be assuming N90 pay, because it takes at least 190K a year to be paying 10K a month more in NY tax vs. a no income tax state. Plus while they are probably better deals overall the zero income tax states find other more creative ways to get money. Yearly taxes for cars or luxury items based on their residual value, mandatory fees for services that are free in most states, insane costs to register a car or for certain permits, etc.....

1K/month, not 10K.

That’s what I meant I guess I typed that wrong, but NY state income tax is about 6.5-7% for a big income. That is high but you would really need to be making close to 200K a year for it to really be $1,000 a month.

oh ok. my only experience with state taxes has been in massachusetts, which was a little lower (5%) but it always seemed like an afterthought. it didn't take too much.

Back
Top Bottom