Hardships

Are you CPC now (I think a hardship in training is looked at as a failure right)? The good news is the low level towers there should get plenty of washouts from the 12 tracon ?.
This is all hypothetical, right???......
The commute to the 12 would be more obnoxious than the lower level towers, plus no potential mids or 6 day work weeks at the lower levels. So the preference would be the lower level facilities, to help accommodate the lifestyle that the reason a hardship exists in the first place.

Still wondering where the 100% guidance is written. HR knowledge only? RVPs only?

Last edited:
So the preference would be the lower level facilities, to help accommodate the lifestyle that the reason a hardship exists in the first place.

Tell me more....
I'm confused. Are you saying the reason a hardship exists in the first place is because of (or in part because of) mids/commute/6 day workweeks???

Tell me more....
I'm confused. Are you saying the reason a hardship exists in the first place is because of (or in part because of) mids/commute/6 day workweeks???
Ha, don't we all wish. No.
The reason is the medical care of a family member that requires a lot of medical appointments and daily assistance around the home. They live in a different state. That is the reason for hardship. Geographical distance. And once there, working 6 days a week/10 hour days is not conducive to caretaking.

So when asking to go to a certain area to help take care of the family member, there are 4 facilities that exist: one being a level 12 and others lower levels.
The preference would be to work at the lower levels, once approved to hardship for medical care.
One would think that would help prove that it is not a scam, as not trying to also upgrade, but actually be able to provide the care necessary and not be constantly calling in sick, if appointments can be made on the 2 days off and/or after 8 hour shifts. Instead of 6 days and 10 hours presumably at the level 12.

I'm just wondering because it actually seems comical to be "forced" to a 12, when there are so many other people who are trying to get there to advance their careers/paycheck.

I'm just wondering because it actually seems comical to be "forced" to a 12, when there are so many other people who are trying to get there to advance their careers/paycheck.
In my opinion this is the biggest hurdle to the ncept. That and people going to places they don’t want just to play the next lottery. Our workforce has done more to hurt us than the ncept does. Sorry, not sorry to say that.

In my opinion this is the biggest hurdle to the ncept. That and people going to places they don’t want just to play the next lottery. Our workforce has done more to hurt us than the ncept does. Sorry, not sorry to say that.
Oh I agree. I just see so many people complain about people hardshipping to places like SCT or DEN or IAH or ATL and I wonder if it's because the person actually can't go to the lower level facilities available nearby bc HR keeps the lower levels fuller. So they are forced to go to the level 12s. That's nuts to me.

Oh I agree. I just see so many people complain about people hardshipping to places like SCT or DEN or IAH or ATL and I wonder if it's because the person actually can't go to the lower level facilities available nearby bc HR keeps the lower levels fuller. So they are forced to go to the level 12s. That's nuts to me.
No one is forced to go anywhere. Sounds like tink doesn't want to go to n90 or something.

No one is forced to go anywhere. Sounds like tink doesn't want to go to n90 or something.
Well, if needing to move for medical reasons and only being offered 1/4 places doesn't mean forced to that 1 location if you want to keep a fun, good paying job AND take care of family, I disagree.
Of course one could chose to not move. Or quit the FAA. Or many other things. But not go to a lower level.
I am saying it is comical that the FAA is apparently saying people have to go to a 12 to work instead of a 6/7/8, when they would prefer not to, and many others would prefer to go to the 12.
And the 12 is highly desirable. ERR list 200 deep usually. Not N90.

Last edited:
Well, if needing to move for medical reasons and only being offered 1/4 places doesn't mean forced to that 1 location if you want to keep a good, fun paying job AND take care of family, I disagree.
Of course one could chose to not move. Or quit the FAA. Or many other things. But not go to a lower level.
I am saying it is comical that the FAA is apparently saying people have to go to a 12 to work instead of a 6/7/8, when they would prefer not to, and many others would prefer to go to the 12.
And the 12 is highly desirable. ERR list 200 deep usually. Not N90.
DFW is easy, I’ve heard DEN is as well.

If you get scheduled overtime, just bang. 12 pay compounds from the day you certify, and you may never have that chance again. It wouldn't hurt to put a statement in your packet expressing your facility desires. Don’t know if anyone would care, but it can’t hurt.

Go to the 12 and get on FMLA. It will be easy (just more paperwork for you to do) but since your spouse is already the reason for the hardship, it won’t be hard. Since you’re not concerned about money, just take LWOP when you call to request FMLA. Doing this too much will end up hurting your pension, but, maybe you’ll find it won’t be as bad as you think and won’t have to use it as much. Or, get there, certify, and slide into a staff job.

DFW is easy, I’ve heard DEN is as well.

If you get scheduled overtime, just bang. 12 pay compounds from the day you certify, and you may never have that chance again. It wouldn't hurt to put a statement in your packet expressing your facility desires. Don’t know if anyone would care, but it can’t hurt.
Banging out on OT can get you a sick leave abuse letter if it’s consistent

Banging out on OT can get you a sick leave abuse letter if it’s consistent
Oh no a sick leave abuse letter!!!! What will you do, besides use sick leave when you are actually sick. Imagine the horror. And honesty how many people have you seen get a letter that ultimately lead to anything beyond that? It’s a 5 min convo, a letter in your file. Big deal.

can you get a hardship out of the academy? it would be to accommodate a parent's medical needs.
My controller partner was told that wasn't an option under any circumstances several years ago, though I don't know if that's still the case. Granted, we had additional issues - it was my parent, and we'd have had to get hitched immediately, which we were willing to do - but the OKC rep actually said: 'It wouldn't matter even if it were your own parents.'

Is there a max amount of facilities you can request hardships to( say like every facility within 100 miles)?

Is there a max amount of facilities you can request hardships to( say like every facility within 100 miles)?
You can most certainly request a broad region. Most obvious reason for this would so a drive to see estranged children. Kind of impossible to see your kids if you're 15 hours away driving compared to 2-3.

You can most certainly request a broad region. Most obvious reason for this would so a drive to see estranged children. Kind of impossible to see your kids if you're 15 hours away driving compared to 2-3.
ah, a friend of mine who is new to the faa was asking about it since his rep didnt know but ive never seen a compeleted package myself.

ah, a friend of mine who is new to the faa was asking about it since his rep didnt know but ive never seen a compeleted package myself.
I've heard of plenty of cases where they give you other options sometimes close by if they can't give you your number one for whatever reason. Although idk why they don't just let you overstaff a facility if you're in need of helping you're family. It would just help the facility get someone there that wants to leave out sooner especially if that person is a cpc and should be a quick check out.

Back
Top Bottom