Renew Slate Book 2026???

Such a bullshit train of thought. Really the mindset should be that you’re taking bodies and putting them where they’re needed. Filling the gap. Bringing the total number of required controllers down while maintaining the number of controllers you have only helps literally everybody.
And even if the overlying airspace needs 1 additional body added to staff for additional airspace, the newly hired controller would pay the same amount of dues as the 2 that were no longer needed at the low level shit hole 24/7 facility that gave up the airspace. It’s net 0 or positive gain for the union $$$ wise.

My facility is 24/7 and I tried working mids for this first time this summer bc I'm a night owl and I thought it would give me some semblance of a 2 day weekend. I was wrong. I'm not a morning person but feeling like garbage for 5 days after a mid isn't worth it.

It was a week-day mid and usually between midnight at 5 am I worked 3 planes total. Sometimes we still had arrivals til 12:30. But I know for a fact that if I suggested something like this there will be a dozen people up in arms about it

My facility is 24/7 and I tried working mids for this first time this summer bc I'm a night owl and I thought it would give me some semblance of a 2 day weekend. I was wrong. I'm not a morning person but feeling like garbage for 5 days after a mid isn't worth it.

It was a week-day mid and usually between midnight at 5 am I worked 3 planes total. Sometimes we still had arrivals til 12:30. But I know for a fact that if I suggested something like this there will be a dozen people up in arms about it
You’re lucky you get a choice.

The mids are brutal when you don’t work any traffic. At my place the high seniority and traffic dodgers love the mids for the 3 day weekends and no traffic.

Last NCEPT panel selected up to 100%, so just about any facility is open if you want to go there. The holdup is whether a facility can let you go. As far and hopeless as it seems, what is a viable solution to that. People on here bitch about staffing and 6day work weeks, how would they feel if someone got released dropping their facility to 75%? 70%? 65%? Where do you draw the line? It's currently at 85% which seems to be a reasonable threshold, but many say it should be lower...really?

I'm not (and will never be) an NCEPT apologist by any means, but a majority of the transfer "issues" that people choose to highlight are a product of the NAS-wide staffing shortages, not NCEPT. Can you reasonably expect the FAA to agree to a Transfer System that drops facility staffing health below an ability to staff it even with 6day workweeks?
This is a valid point and this is where I think there is room to improve. The experience at most centers is that ~2 areas are on 6-day status while there are usually a couple in the same building that are struggling to get 3.5 hours TOP. ZBQ is a great example of this; 6 days forever in some areas, splitting sectors with no airplanes in others (75% rule). Z controllers don’t cross train so there is no reason to consider them one facility for the purposes of staffing/NCEPT.

As a result of the asinine placement system imposed since 2015 there are scores of Z controllers who would be happy to transfer to a facility that gets no OKC grads and instantly be at the top of the pay band where they want to live.

I just want a (insert color here) book that isn’t so vague where NATCA and the Agency can interpret it to their own needs and NOT THE EMPLOYEE. Because we all know employee interpretation < Parties interpretation.

A glossary defining terms would be nice. Get rid of “normally shall” and replace with “shall.”

So initially I was going to say most of you just apply for places youll never get to but I started looking and really it's a mix of issues with the BUE having unrealistic expectations and NCEPT simply failing in some areas.

I made a table of the top 27 facilities by ERRs inbound to see what facilities were most in demand. 27 being the number because I only selected 10 rows for the table so it is what it is:

FacilityProjected StaffingERRs InboundGains to targetFacilityProjected StaffingERRs InboundGains to targetFacilityProjected StaffingERRs InboundGains to target
DFW81.5%8113D0185.1%4117ZTL82.6%3383
DEN111%785TPA95.5%414SCT74.7%3284
CLT84%7213ZFW83.9%4162ZOB81.8%3177
IAH95.2%6027D1080.2%4027ATL88.8%298
MCO107.2%460DAL82.3%385MSP90.2%284
PHX92.7%453ZJX83.3%3858AUS89.7%277
PCT83.5%4335ZHU83.7%3756HOU85.5%274
F1189.4%427ZDV84.4%3447ZBW82.7%2650
I9082.1%4220SEA84.3%3350A8068.2%2477

Issue 1: I believe any facility under 100% (highlighted % in red) should be exempt from the NCEPT staffing rules. These are all higher level facilities that for the most part have many people trying to go there and would have a better chance of checking out than an academy grad. Most are 10s or higher except for a few I believe. Maybe level 10+ is exempt from NCEPT 85% or whatever rule. The con to doing this, you're short staffing lower facilities on purpose. Short staffing all facilities some versus the lower by a lot and the higher by less.

Issue 2: Some facilities will simply never pick you up. ERRs inbound (highlighted in blue) shows that 17 of the top 29 sought after facilities simply have far more ERRs inbound than what gains to target will allow. The FAA isn't going to staff a facility 200% just because you want to go there.
Ah but the problem is that those facilities have people that want to leave but likely can’t. There’s so many places that cannot pick up or release. I think that you should have to be able to do one or the other or both but not none at all times.

Back
Top Bottom