Renew Slate Book 2026???

I've yet to find a reliable source on that. The daily mail claimed several were paid over a million dollars back in like 2002 yet more "reliable" websites claim their average salary is well below 300k which I've seen thrown around a lot.
Fair, but OT abuse needs to be felt by the FAA. We need way more for OT. 40 hour work and 1.5x pay for OT are both almost 100 years old. It’s time something is done about that. They made those numbers up a long time ago and what, it’s supposed to be that forever and ever? Fuck that.

Can you send me a link, how much did you end up saving, the housing market is ridiculous
lol it wasn’t about how much I was saving, it was about having high standards and it actually getting done. I live in the Virgin Islands where there’s a lack of skilled workers for one, and two an even further lack of reliable workers. You call 5 contractors to come out, 3 no call no show and the other two are 6-8 hours late. Nah. I’ll go at it alone. I also have a high personal standard and a lot of pride in my work and/or product. This was a flip, one getting sold to people in tax brackets higher than I’ll ever see and it had to reflect that.

lol it wasn’t about how much I was saving, it was about having high standards and it actually getting done. I live in the Virgin Islands where there’s a lack of skilled workers for one, and two an even further lack of reliable workers. You call 5 contractors to come out, 3 no call no show and the other two are 6-8 hours late. Nah. I’ll go at it alone. I also have a high personal standard and a lot of pride in my work and/or product. This was a flip, one getting sold to people in tax brackets higher than I’ll ever see and it had to reflect that.
The only way I could ever be a supe is if it was at STT

I’ll be honest, you’re talking to the wrong guy about this because I actually did what you’re talking about single handedly for my own house. Forming, concrete, framing, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, landscaping and landscape design, plaster, masonry, and the list goes on and on. If you’d like to see the outcome, I can send you the link lol
Hey props, I am also my own construction contractor, mechanic, all that jazz. That said the point I'm making is you are confusing someone not doing something with someone being unable to do something. I'm sure many surgeons could learn ATC. That they didn't isn't justification thay you should be in the same pay grade as them.

This line of thinking has this profession falling behind badly in 2023. Straight up no hyperbole
I think anyone who don’t at least quit the union if this happens is absolutely nuts. It would mean at least 12 years would pass between the opportunity to even vote on a contract. That is 50% or more of a lot of people’s careers.
When put like this, if this doesn’t wake people the hell up that NATCA has become the complacent ones, then nothing will. They are drunk on NATCA koolaid at that point.

I'm not saying we don't deserve a raise but how are people going to say that this job isn't worth recommending to people. You make close to the top 15% of all americans if you work a little OT at a 7. Close to top 5 percent if you're at a 12
I work at a level 11 on the East Coast; out of all my friends I went to college with I’m a middle of the pack earner and I’m the only one who reports to a physical location everyday and the only one doing shift work (and the only one who had to move away from home for work). Also, I went to a mid tier state school so my college buddies aren’t some group of talented, polished, business professionals. They chill at home and sling cyber security software for $200,000+. I make as much as my high school best friend with 3 DUI’s and multiple stints in county jail who sells plumbing supplies. The pay should make the shift work, rattler schedule, mandatory OT, etc worth it…but quite frankly, it does not.

I applaud you for your lack of critical thinking. You just got a raise and you're getting the largest presidential raise in over 40 years in January.

I do expect we will get a decent raise or should, but I don't think the time is now.
well we getting the same as all government employees i think the point is that maybe it's time to increase that 1.6% in jan which is actually .1% if you pay dues. So that's what the union has really gotten for us-seeing as how once again, the january raise is ALL govt employees

I mean I'm not disagreeing with anything being said about keeping up with inflation etc. But one could just as easily say you couldn't step foot on a job site and pour concrete or frame a house to code. Does the hammer swinging meth head deserve 250-300k a year for his services? I mean lives are at stake! That building could fall on someone!

And that's not denigrating trades careers by any sense. Honestly ATC is more akin to a trade job than it is anything you listed.
While I don't disagree, a thing I think about is, there are all sorts of measures to make sure the building is safe before occupancy. Yes, I know we along with pilots have a ridiculous amount of safety measures in place. However, since it was previously mentioned, like a surgeon, if we make a mistake just bad enough, we have a very limited time to figure it out. We don't have weeks/months of inspection to identify the issue that is occurring at that very moment in time. It's figure it out, or people die, potentially seconds from said moment.

Which parts do you recommend? The low pay ceiling? Inability to get leave when you want? Shift work? Robust transfer system?

A 20 year CPC at a level 12 scrapes $200,000. What’s the ceiling for 20 year airline pilot?
I'm less than half that time as a CPC at a level 12 and I'm at ~$195k today with 6 more pay periods to go. I would have at least another $15k if I had worked all my OT that was scheduled/offered. I'm more than comfortable enough with my salary with how I live my life but I'm not someone that goes and gets a $5k/mo place with a Porsche and say I need more money like some of my coworkers! But I also recognize that I have it good compared to plenty of other controllers out there who are lucky to get near $100k.

I agree we need a raise, but these raises of 40%+ that people say we need, I just don't agree with (probably would have a different opinion if I was at a 6 or something though). I would LOVE it but I think it's completely unrealistic to happen.

To me, the worst part of this job is the shift work. Even when staffed, it sucks and it's been proven it isn't good for you mentally or physically. As someone else said, trying to do anything with someone outside of this job is so difficult with our schedules. Also, staffing obviously needs to get under control but after that, I think 32 hr weeks should be a high priority (with no drop in pay) for the union. I don't have much hope for it but that's what I would love to see.

I think 32 hr weeks should be a high priority (with no drop in pay) for the union. I don't have much hope for it but that's what I would love to see.
I would prefer this 100%.

I CPC'd at my level 7 back in Feb and I'm at $86k for the year so far, working most of my OT shifts. Everyone is on 6 day work weeks and every time we're told "hang on, just another 6 months", someone either has another baby or leaves.

We have a guy who has been in for 15 years shouting we need a pay cut. Dude came in when we were a level 8, is making at least $40k more than a new CPC without OT, living in a house where his mortgage is $1200/mo, bought it for $200k 5+ years ago and could sell it for at least $500k today. I can't even rent a 1 bedroom apartment here for $1200 anymore.

I came from working my ass of as a waitress 3 years ago to now making good money for the little work I do & multiple breaks a day which I am grateful for. But the fact that I'm stuck in a small city that I didn't have much of a choice going to, no hope of ever transferring to a higher level & busier facility, is depressing. A couple thousand miles away from the friends I used to have & the family I used to see daily, just so I had the opportunity to be an air traffic controller now working mandatory 6 day work weeks and no life outside of work...

I think about quitting weekly but that thought of early retirement & pension has me chained

So.... anyways, increasing pay without mando OT would allow me to actually afford a not shitty house here and avoid the ghetto. In 5 years the prices here have increased about 2.5x, and not to mention the price of childcare (6 day work weeks hello) and inflation of everything else.

I CPC'd at my level 7 back in Feb and I'm at $86k for the year so far, working most of my OT shifts. Everyone is on 6 day work weeks and every time we're told "hang on, just another 6 months", someone either has another baby or leaves.

We have a guy who has been in for 15 years shouting we need a pay cut. Dude came in when we were a level 8, is making at least $40k more than a new CPC without OT, living in a house where his mortgage is $1200/mo, bought it for $200k 5+ years ago and could sell it for at least $500k today. I can't even rent a 1 bedroom apartment here for $1200 anymore.

I came from working my ass of as a waitress 3 years ago to now making good money for the little work I do & multiple breaks a day which I am grateful for. But the fact that I'm stuck in a small city that I didn't have much of a choice going to, no hope of ever transferring to a higher level & busier facility, is depressing. A couple thousand miles away from the friends I used to have & the family I used to see daily, just so I had the opportunity to be an air traffic controller now working mandatory 6 day work weeks and no life outside of work...

I think about quitting weekly but that thought of early retirement & pension has me chained

So.... anyways, increasing pay without mando OT would allow me to actually afford a not shitty house here and avoid the ghetto. In 5 years the prices here have increased about 2.5x, and not to mention the price of childcare (6 day work weeks hello) and inflation of everything else.
ncept sucks

But I also recognize that I have it good compared to plenty of other controllers out there who are lucky to get near $100k.
This is an important point. There is a huge disparity between Center/Tracon/Tower work level and pay. I sit here making 160k+ wondering why everyone is up in arms about pay and forget the level 6's and 7's etc etc who aren't being paid enough relative to the importance of their job. Everybody is going to have a number they think they should be making and every answer is going to be different, but we at LEAST need to keep up with inflation now.

This is an important point. There is a huge disparity between Center/Tracon/Tower work level and pay. I sit here making 160k+ wondering why everyone is up in arms about pay and forget the level 6's and 7's etc etc who aren't being paid enough relative to the importance of their job. Everybody is going to have a number they think they should be making and every answer is going to be different, but we at LEAST need to keep up with inflation now.
Everyone acts surprised when I want to train on OT, like brother your base pay is higher than what I make with OT, I NEEDA CERTIFY

I'm to know what facility you're at. PM me if you feel like.

51 out of 58 Level 7's have released on NCEPT since 2021.

NCEPT is far from perfect, but there should be hope for you or light at the end of the tunnel. Do you have paperwork in that you keep up to date? Have you conversed with your NCEPT rep? I've found it's best to reach out and ask as many questions to try and figure out what might work for your situation.

I'm to know what facility you're at. PM me if you feel like.

51 out of 58 Level 7's have released on NCEPT since 2021.

NCEPT is far from perfect, but there should be hope for you or light at the end of the tunnel. Do you have paperwork in that you keep up to date? Have you conversed with your NCEPT rep? I've found it's best to reach out and ask as many questions to try and figure out what might work for your situation.

Hope to transfer under NCEPT doesn’t exist at many places. CPCs at my low level shit hole have given up on NCEPT because it will never work unless staffing magically goes above 85% overnight. We spend a year + training, only to have CPCs and DEVs quit to go contract and go back home, accept a DOD/supe bid or say “fuck it this place sucks and I don’t want to be here anymore” and straight up quit. It’s one step forward and two steps back with the current process. Why keep paperwork up to date when it’s going to take 8+ years to release 1 controller IF and only IF no one else leaves. By the time the 85% number comes around some dumb article in the slate book will help me and everyone else who’s been stuck be number one to lateral transfer to another shit hole. So nobody really wins and everyone suffers.

I'm not sure if you guys are stupid or can't read but never did I say we didn't deserve more, I said you're out of touch if you think this job is scraping by lmao
The median wage nationwide is now 81k. You won’t generally be poor, with a few glaring exceptions in UHCOL areas on low level pay. But when they pay scale came out it was great, significantly above median which was like 40-50k at the time, but now it’s just kind ok. Not having pay raises tied to inflation has tarnished the allure, to say the least. It’s still a bit above average but still within a standard deviation now.

There are way easier ways to make 100k a year that’s for sure

Back
Top Bottom