Shoot The Breeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Trump somehow wins this election, some of you should run for the hills because you’re going to be trolled into oblivion. I don’t think he will, but I didn’t think he would in 2016 either.
I didn't vote last election, but the psychotic whining of the left made me secretly wish he'd win, just out of spite. Damn, they just can't shut up.
Why burn all these bridges when the other side will most likely end up in power more often than you in the future?
Same reason I wouldn't support privatization just to get a seat at the table.

I assume I'm of the rare breed that believes politics shouldn't be a game and instead should be legislature with goodwill and unified condemnation instead of parties vying for control.
Agreed, I just want the supreme court to rule only on the legality in regards to the constitution, nothing more, nothing less. If that was true no one would give 2 shits who was on the bench unless they were passing unconstitutional laws.

Same reason I wouldn't support privatization just to get a seat at the table.
No one is offering anyone a seat at the table. The senate has a filibuster to make sure you need more than a simple majority to get shit done. How does republicans tearing down senate norms and rules have anything to do with them wanting a seat at the table. If you tell the other side it’s fine not to play by the rules you can’t get mad when they don’t.

No one is offering anyone a seat at the table. The senate has a filibuster to make sure you need more than a simple majority to get shit done. How does republicans tearing down senate norms and rules have anything to do with them wanting a seat at the table. If you tell the other side it’s fine not to play by the rules you can’t get mad when they don’t.
Don’t justify it. Just tell him elections have consequences

You talk about Republicans tearing down senate norms as it applies to the filibuster. I actually agree that the filibuster is a valuable tool which forces both sides to work together. Still is your memory so short that you have forgotten the actions of Harry Reid as it applies to the filibuster ? Or is it only wrong when Republicans have the majority?

Reactions: twn
You talk about Republicans tearing down senate norms as it applies to the filibuster. I actually agree that the filibuster is a valuable tool which forces both sides to work together. Still is your memory so short that you have forgotten the actions of Harry Reid as it applies to the filibuster ? Or is it only wrong when Republicans have the majority?
Whether or not you agree with what Harry Reid did regarding the filibuster, you must first look at the reason he did that. When the opposition party ceases to bargain in good faith, you are left with few choices at that point. Refusing to let ANY nomination come to a vote is not governance. Talk about short memories...

Whether or not you agree with what Harry Reid did regarding the filibuster, you must first look at the reason he did that. When the opposition party ceases to bargain in good faith, you are left with few choices at that point. Refusing to let ANY nomination come to a vote is not governance. Talk about short memories...
The democrats are always justified. I yield to your blind allegiance.

We’ve already been over this. The only reason he did that is because republicans filibustered every Obama nominee for no reason. Obama went out of his way to nominate judges who could appeal to moderates but there was no compromise to be had.

The democrats are always justified. I yield to your blind allegiance.
I didn’t say anything about justification, you can let your mind fill in all the blanks. I said what I did as a explanation for the escalation, not justifying anything. No politician is an innocent naïf, and when they decide that winning for winning’s sake is the goal, then we all lose. Refusing to bargain over the appointment of judges is an escalation, shitcanning the filibuster is an escalation, and we would all be in a better spot if it had never occurred.

I didn’t say anything about justification, you can let your mind fill in all the blanks. I said what I did as a explanation for the escalation, not justifying anything. No politician is an innocent naïf, and when they decide that winning for winning’s sake is the goal, then we all lose. Refusing to bargain over the appointment of judges is an escalation, shitcanning the filibuster is an escalation, and we would all be in a better spot if it had never occurred.
I agree and well said. The partisan goal to acquire more power is driven ultimately by greed and is the root of what is decaying Washington.

All I'm seeing here is a lot of two party system bickering bullshit, which is exactly why our government is basically a non functioning entity and things seem so irredeemably screwed.

It's almost like if you polarize every little damn thing, demonize the other side and force everyone into a binary choice you eliminate any kind of wiggle room on things people would normally budge a bit on, not to mention making a shit choice seem like the only choice because they've got a (R) or (D) next to thier name.

One more point and I will shut up. Harry Reid did what he did because he claimed the Republicans were stalling Obama’s judges. During the Bush administration Republicans accused Democrats of stalling Bush’s judges. During the Clinton administration Democrats accused Republicans of stalling Clinton’s judges. The more things change....

One more point and I will shut up. Harry Reid did what he did because he claimed the Republicans were stalling Obama’s judges. During the Bush administration Republicans accused Democrats of stalling Bush’s judges. During the Clinton administration Democrats accused Republicans of stalling Clinton’s judges. The more things change....
I agree with this, but then maybe the solution isn't "they do it to so it's okay if we do" it should be more "we should hold our politicians accountable for thier partisan bickering leading to dysfunction and vote them out, regardless of thier stances on issues".

All I'm seeing here is a lot of two party system bickering bullshit, which is exactly why our government is basically a non functioning entity and things seem so irredeemably screwed.

It's almost like if you polarize every little damn thing, demonize the other side and force everyone into a binary choice you eliminate any kind of wiggle room on things people would normally budge a bit on, not to mention making a shit choice seem like the only choice because they've got a (R) or (D) next to thier name.
True dat. But don't fear, because as long as they got a R or D next to their name, our president will always ensure that billionaires reign supreme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom