Terminal Class pass rate

This is not correct. My facility got four trainees from the academy in 2015 that only had one choice per graduate. They picked eastern/central/western so they had a little more control over their destiny, but there were some lists then that were still hot garbage.
That's completely different. Being able to choose a region is fantastic compared to the system that's in place now (I got hired under a system similar to what you described)

Sure, that's true, but the FAA isn't going to bang its head against the wall if they're only getting 5/18 people to facilities because half the graduates quit. The amount of money spent on 13 people to get zero out of them is nothing to sneeze at. It takes 3-4 months for each class to graduate, thats a lot of per diem, instructor time, and facility maintenance for only 5 people. Sure it'll take awhile but if a ton of people quit they won't have much choice when millions are being wasted and there was absolutely nothing wrong with the previous format
The priority is getting people sent to understaffed facilities, not making sure people get their choice facility out the gate. Once you actually get outside of Academyland you'll see the agency making plenty of choices that dont make sense at all.

The priority is getting people sent to understaffed facilities, not making sure people get their choice facility out the gate. Once you actually get outside of Academyland you'll see the agency making plenty of choices that dont make sense at all.
Ding ding ding, winner winner!

That's completely different. Being able to choose a region is fantastic compared to the system that's in place now (I got hired under a system similar to what you described)
Not a Region. A Service Area. There are only 3 Service Areas. Maine and Florida are both Eastern Service area. Regions would probably be close enough to a desired spot to appease the graduates. But again they definitely don't care about the graduates. They don't even care about the controllers and the graduates haven't checked out on shit.

Not a Region. A Service Area. There are only 3 Service Areas. Maine and Florida are both Eastern Service area. Regions would probably be close enough to a desired spot to appease the graduates. But again they definitely don't care about the graduates. They don't even care about the controllers and the graduates haven't checked out on shit.

Right, but choosing a service area eliminates ~2/3 of all facilities. That's absolutely huge

Then they got mad when everyone tries to leave ASAP. 30 million ppl live in California yet they can’t find 200 to work at Oakland. I think some small changes would help a lot here.

I think they lost four between days 1 and 2, and then the other four on day 3 (today).
Heard that the majority (5 or 6) of them were because of a 0 score on a local run.

One guy got a negative 140-something. About half of the people that failed got too nervous, and one person didn’t hear a readback that caused a cascade of errors.

I was at the academy May of 2015, we were the second class to not get service area preference. We had a list of 18 facilities... 7 people passed... they gave us the top 7 facilities off that list. It stayed that way until end of 2015 maybe early 2016 when they started offering these massive lists to people. I don’t know what you’re talking about saying it hasn’t been that way since 2012

Does anyone have numbers for people who have passed and then turned down the job because of location? Terminal or enroute.

They said/thought they said “Enter Left Downwind Runway 28L”, and it readback “Right Downwind”. Crossed the departure end and the flight path of at least 3 different planes.

They said/thought they said “Enter Left Downwind Runway 28L”, and it readback “Right Downwind”. Crossed the departure end and the flight path of at least 3 different planes.
Ouch....I could easily see that causing a ton of issues. It's so important to actively listen for correct readbacks instead of doing coordination with the other controller.

Ouch....I could easily see that causing a ton of issues. It's so important to actively listen for correct readbacks instead of doing coordination with the other controller.
In the final PAs the computer doesn't give intentional readback errors. If it reads back incorrectly, it's because you gave the control incorrectly. So this person likely gave right traffic and didn't catch it on the readback. They had two opportunities to catch the error.

In the final PAs the computer doesn't give intentional readback errors. If it reads back incorrectly, it's because you gave the control incorrectly. So this person likely gave right traffic and didn't catch it on the readback. They had two opportunities to catch the error.
Wrong. "Cleared to land runway 28 left" and for some reason the computer will sometimes think it heard "28 right." Same with left/right downwind. Students are expected to correct that. If the correct instruction is given again, and the computer gives an incorrect readback again, then the RPO will fix it. Most instructions that involve a left/right/hold short, the RPO can't fix an incorrect readback unless the student catches it.

Last edited:
Wrong. "Cleared to land runway 28 left" and for some reason the computer will think it heard "28 right." Same with left/right downwind. Students are expected to correct that. If the correct instruction is given again, and the computer gives an incorrect readback again, then the RPO will fix it. Most instructions that involve a left/right/hold short, the RPO can't fix an incorrect readback unless the student catches it.

+1
The RPO's they provide at the PA's are the best so they will usually catch the computer glitches (incorrect readbacks), however, I did have to catch 1 or 2 during my PA's. It's honestly all nerves. I went into the PA's pretty confident however I made some dumb errors due to the stress and pressure that I didn't make on even the 11 or 12 day problems which were no brainer mistakes (traffic calls etc. that can add up quickly if you're not careful). If you can play the game correctly you can make it out of MMAC with a job. Just know that the real world is much harder! Just started training on radar 2 weeks ago and I wish I could check out on AAC land traffic. HA!

NATCA drove this change.

In 2012 facilities were assigned prior to going to AAC, and it was take it or leave it.

In the open bid 2 yrs ago 30,000 people applied. Good luck playing those odds.
Yea when they tell you take it or leave it before they spend $100K on you that's infinitely more logical than saying take it or leave it after spending the $100K

Wrong. "Cleared to land runway 28 left" and for some reason the computer will sometimes think it heard "28 right." Same with left/right downwind. Students are expected to correct that. If the correct instruction is given again, and the computer gives an incorrect readback again, then the RPO will fix it. Most instructions that involve a left/right/hold short, the RPO can't fix an incorrect readback unless the student catches it.
That's why I said intentional, if it misunderstood you, sure. But it's not intentionally giving incorrect readbacks to screw you up at the PA level. At least that's what we were told.

Yea when they tell you take it or leave it before they spend $100K on you that's infinitely more logical than saying take it or leave it after spending the $100K
They in a way say that in the application when you agree to go where they need you to.

They in a way say that in the application when you agree to go where they need you to.
That’s nice in theory. The whole premise of this argument is the people who get to the end and say no way in living in Bangor for 3 years

Back
Top Bottom