Retirement TSP Tips/Tricks

Slightly off topic, but can I roll my 401K into the TSP? I haven't really been able to find anything on that.

You can view past fund performances and gauge how you want to move your money around:
TSP: Share Price History

I know lots has been said about the C and S funds, but don’t forget about the I fund either. It’s been my biggest money maker this year alone, with a current PIP of 22.45%. Like MJ said, you have to choose what suits your needs best. I personally move my funds around a bit but for a majority of the years it’s been 50% I, 30% S, 20% C.

Also, if you're prior military and contributed to TSP while in the service, get that money transferred over to your federal TSP. Granted, you can only transfer traditional contributions, it'll give you more money to manage in your federal TSP.

You can view past fund performances and gauge how you want to move your money around:
TSP: Share Price History

I know lots has been said about the C and S funds, but don’t forget about the I fund either. It’s been my biggest money maker this year alone, with a current PIP of 22.45%. Like MJ said, you have to choose what suits your needs best. I personally move my funds around a bit but for a majority of the years it’s been 50% I, 30% S, 20% C.
The current 12 month pip is calculated based on the date range 11/01/16 - 10/31/17. The % pip takes into account contributions, share price when bought/moved, etc. During that time if you look strictly at the fund performance...
S Fund - 26.9%
C Fund - 24.5%
I Fund - 23.8%

I'd encourage anyone to also check out the long term performance of the funds here.
TSP: Summary of Returns

The C and S funds have greatly outperformed the I since it's inception.

Going as far back as the historical prices allow to account for an even starting point (not all funds inception date is equal). Each fund was roughly $10 per share in June of 2003. Since then...
S fund - 11.2% annualized return
C fund - 9.2% annualized return
I fund - 7.7% annualized return
F fund - 4.2% annualized return
G fund - 3.0% annualized return

Rough estimate based on average annualized return on a 100k investment (with no other contributions) in June 2003.
S fund - $469,135.30
C fund - $361,406.78
I fund - $293,795.48
F fund - $180,942.83
G fund - $154,993.00

Last edited:
Great point. If you're currently maxing out and don't adjust accordingly, you'll miss out on the government matching portion during the 27th pay period.
This drives me nuts... Why isn't there just a button I can click that says I want to contribute 100% that they allow me to? Why do I have to keep doing the math and changing it?

This drives me nuts... Why isn't there just a button I can click that says I want to contribute 100% that they allow me to? Why do I have to keep doing the math and changing it?
So they can not match your full amount. Just like any business. Imagine how much they save across the whole federal government when people miscalculate. It’s gotta add up.

At a minum

Would be nice. They do the math for you though in EEX. Also, you don't have to wait till the new year to change your election since you can do it up to 90 days in advance. I just did mine.

From EEX-

"Example to follow for deducting equal payments:
Number of Pay Periods in tax year: 27
Pay Period Deduction Amount: $686
(i.e. $18,500/27 = $686 rounded up)

The 27th payment will round to $664 to ensure the deduction amount does not exceed the limit for the year.This will ensure you will reach the annual limit on the last pay period of the tax year and continue to receive applicable agency contributions.

i got added to a closed group on facebook recently for TSP stuff... and found TSPcalc.com. it pretty much shows you tons of different strategies that define the mean return, the deviation, when to transfer funds. i sort of designed my own basically replacing anything that happens to be G fund with a lifecycle... i would certainly check it out. many strategies showing more than 25 percent yearly. take some time, watch the intro video, and see if its something you are interested in. no sign up or cost or anything like that.

i got added to a closed group on facebook recently for TSP stuff... and found TSPcalc.com. it pretty much shows you tons of different strategies that define the mean return, the deviation, when to transfer funds. i sort of designed my own basically replacing anything that happens to be G fund with a lifecycle... i would certainly check it out. many strategies showing more than 25 percent yearly. take some time, watch the intro video, and see if its something you are interested in. no sign up or cost or anything like that.

Did it tell you when to invest in bitcoin? Because it just hit 14000

Back
Top Bottom