A80

Because…
Have you read any of the previous thread? 2 pages ago, someone states level 8's and below are around a 30% success rate. Sure you could get a lot more info if you just read 15 of the previous pages. I've heard of people pulling themselves from training when they had 1 more cert to go, and I guarantee that it's a mix of multiple issues

Yeah it was probably the only 3 out of the 60%
There’s a ton of recent (say last five years in particular) of people who have skated by including one that had a TRB on every single position, other than FD/CD, and they’re now fully certified. There’s also a ton of people who wash out/withdraw as they’re going to a TRB and then want to shit talk a facility that provided them numerous opportunities to try and achieve certification.

There’s a ton of recent (say last five years in particular) of people who have skated by including one that had a TRB on every single position, other than FD/CD, and they’re now fully certified. There’s also a ton of people who wash out/withdraw as they’re going to a TRB and then want to shit talk a facility that provided them numerous opportunities to try and achieve certification.
I would hazard a guess that a LOT of facilities (or at least the larger ones) can say this happens to them. I know mine can basically be described like this.

Because…
I'll throw in my two cents. If working 6 days a week, 25 min breaks, no spot leave, and legitimate busy level 12 radar (not like those country club consolidated tracons) for the next 20 years sounds like it's for you, then give it a shot. A80 has a few pros, and a lot of cons.

Yes, the money is nice, especially with all the mandatory OT. Peachtree City is a suburban utopia that I didn't think existed in today's world. Everyone is welcoming with that southern charm, 0 crime, good schools, and the kids are well behaved and respectful. It was really a refreshing sight. The controllers were a good group of guys but you can tell the FAA's inability to properly staff that place has sucked some life out of them. So morale isn't very good. The supes and OMs are also good dudes. Everyone wants new people to succeed.

The cons are mostly staffing related. Like I said, short breaks and really no spot leave available. They work hard and can get close to 2 hours if they have to go into monitors. With the current state of the ncept and the terrible rules, I doubt they ever get staffed. A couple guys that were certified on 1 of the 3 walls had their training delayed like 5 months so they could staff.

As far as training environment, it seemed mixed. I don't think it was toxic by any means. I just think it's hard and there's a lot who aren't cut out for it. There have been at least 5 washout/withdraws within the last 6 months but there were also quite a few certifying on scopes and doing well. The last 5 trainees on the sat wall (hardest in the building) all certified (they all had level 8/9 radar.) They started trying to put the higher level radar transfers exclusively on that side and lower level guys on the MCN/CSG/ATL departures in an effort to improve the success rate.

I had a now or never hardship available and it would've been a lose lose for me to try and stay. If I certified, the quality of life blows forever. If i washed, I'd have to go back to the low level shit hole I came from with a training failure on the record after it already took forever to ERR out of there. The no nest policy was the biggest deciding factor for me to go through with it instead of trying to stick it out and use up all my leave with FMLA to take care of family business just to see if I had what it took. Unfortunately, the risk just wasn't worth the reward.

I liked the people and Peachtree City enough that I'd be open to going back someday but only if the no nest mou is terminated and their staffing is meaningfully better, which seems unlikely. I'd suggest only bidding if you are the best controller at your level 5 and you truly are going to be okay with shit RDOs for 10 years and poor quality of life for the rest of your career.

Sorry for the novel.

Dumb question but why are partial-room controllers not allowed anywhere? Like if someone certifies on A80 or C90 departures but washes on arrivals, are you really better off booting them from the facility entirely? Why not let them work departures their entire career at lvl 9 pay or something.

Last edited:
Dumb question but why are partial-room controllers not allowed anywhere? Like if someone certifies on A80 or C90 departures but washes on arrivals, are you really better off booting them from the facility entirely? Why not let them work arrivals their entire career at lvl 9 pay or something.
What, C90 has partial room controllers, N90 you only get certified on one sector. I'm confused what you mean

What, C90 has partial room controllers, N90 you only get certified on one sector. I'm confused what you mean
He’s saying partially qualify in their area. So for C90, it would be like someone who checked out on the north or south walls but washed on the ORD arrival wall or vice versa. He’s saying instead of washing them, just leave them partially qualified in their area cause they can do half the scopes at least.

I disagree. The area is the area. If you can’t do it all, sorry, but bye.

They mean if you fail to certify on specific sectors they should just let you stay and work the sectors you did certify on at a reduced pay rate

How do people with Lvl 12 Z experience do at the big TRACONS? Is it a better fit for someone who has worked their way through the up/down chain?

How do people with Lvl 12 Z experience do at the big TRACONS? Is it a better fit for someone who has worked their way through the up/down chain?

With the exception of those coming from oceanic sectors they seem to do fine for the most part from what I’ve seen. Oceanic sector people might as well be ots.

Back
Top Bottom