Censorship? Is this North Korea?

From Santa's videos, "A plan that returns CBA negotiations at the most opportune time"
Let's hear this plan, and why it wasn't done before or until now. Are we waiting for the next most labor friendly president/administration? Maybe we are waiting until the FAA finally hires enough controllers...

They’ll tout that 5/10 or 5/5 COVID schedule until they’re blue in the face. They love bringing up that shit when you ask what else they’re doing even though that was 3 years ago.
These were all Rinaldi era items. Everyone hates on the contract rollover (and I’m right there with you, rolling it over was stupid) but these things happened under the Rinaldi administration.

From Santa's videos, "A plan that returns CBA negotiations at the most opportune time"
Let's hear this plan, and why it wasn't done before or until now. Are we waiting for the next most labor friendly president/administration? Maybe we are waiting until the FAA finally hires enough controllers...

I expect we see a new CBA either: soon after election day if Biden wins or before inauguration day if Trump wins.

So far under the Santa regime, it seems like the only person in ATC who has had their pay keep up with inflation is Paul F'ing Rinaldi.

Why am I still working 6 day weeks forever?
Why did you testify to congress that we have a robust transfer system in place?
Why did NATCA not notify the membership about, or even negotiate a contract extension?
Why do we have so many 114 details, while there are Controllers on the No list working 6 day weeks, while a good old boy gets a Stay at home Detail forever?
Why are we paying Paul Rinaldi $200k+ to consult for us? What has he done for NATCA specifically in the last 3 years to justify that price tag?

Maybe Rich can address any of these besides saying in vague terms he wants to look after the financial health of the membership.

Compounding on my 32hr workweek post, perhaps there are better solutions to the underlying problem than attempting to put a bandaid on a bullet hole. $26m towards “increased safety measures” (ASDE, STARS, more memory aids - which, for the record I think every airport would benefit from with the exception of additional memory aids). It’s like saying “our controllers are falling asleep on position so we're prescribing everyone caffeine pills.” However, it’s a pat on the back for the fat cats to pad their resume with affirmations that THEY DID SOMETHING without actually doing something for those of us in the trenches.

They toss us to the wolves and force us to make due - 60 hour work weeks, disgruntled and fragile home lives, burnout, fatigue - and then turn around and blame us when their “solutions” don’t solve the problem.

We did get a sweet nod from Reuters in the second to last paragraph with one sentence “also yeah we know controllers are severely understaffed.”

Compounding on my 32hr workweek post, perhaps there are better solutions to the underlying problem than attempting to put a bandaid on a bullet hole. $26m towards “increased safety measures” (ASDE, STARS, more memory aids - which, for the record I think every airport would benefit from with the exception of additional memory aids). It’s like saying “our controllers are falling asleep on position so we're prescribing everyone caffeine pills.” However, it’s a pat on the back for the fat cats to pad their resume with affirmations that THEY DID SOMETHING without actually doing something for those of us in the trenches.

They toss us to the wolves and force us to make due - 60 hour work weeks, disgruntled and fragile home lives, burnout, fatigue - and then turn around and blame us when their “solutions” don’t solve the problem.

We did get a sweet nod from Reuters in the second to last paragraph with one sentence “also yeah we know controllers are severely understaffed.”

Funny you mention this.

My facility is going through a goat rope, and I honestly feel bad for my ATM despite my own qualms with the man. The uppers threaten the dude's job because of said situation. Controller causes NMAC and the whole facility gets hit with the consequences.

Funny you mention this.

My facility is going through a goat rope, and I honestly feel bad for my ATM despite my own qualms with the man. The uppers threaten the dude's job because of said situation. Controller causes NMAC and the whole facility gets hit with the consequences.
Honestly, that’s how I/we have always pushed back. Okay, you refuse to address our actual concerns fine, but we are going to make the traffic so much easier to work at the downfall of your sacred traffic counts. Full stop taxi backs, “unable pattern work at this time due to staffing,” shit like that. And that’s after a slew of NMACs, wrong runway landings, unauthorized departures (all pilot fault)… I made an announcement once “attention all aircraft, expect full stop taxi backs,” cleared a guy to land, he did a touch and go and I hit em with the “say reason for go around” and he said “yeah we’re doing pattern work.” Nah brother, not how this is working lol

Just gonna leave this here real quick, don’t mind me.

View attachment 8798
I would love a 4 day workweek, but the argument about productivity isn’t a good one. We can’t generate more airplanes flying through our airspace. We just work with what happens to be on our scope while plugged in. If you think we’re poorly staffed now, imagine having to create a schedule to cover a 32 hour workweek. I don’t think it would be possible with current staffing in most facilities. I guess you’d just be working a lot of OT (If you aren’t already)

Honestly, that’s how I/we have always pushed back. Okay, you refuse to address our actual concerns fine, but we are going to make the traffic so much easier to work at the downfall of your sacred traffic counts. Full stop taxi backs, “unable pattern work at this time due to staffing,” shit like that. And that’s after a slew of NMACs, wrong runway landings, unauthorized departures (all pilot fault)… I made an announcement once “attention all aircraft, expect full stop taxi backs,” cleared a guy to land, he did a touch and go and I hit em with the “say reason for go around” and he said “yeah we’re doing pattern work.” Nah brother, not how this is working lol
a few controllers have already stated this will be their go-to except zero pattern work. lol

I would love a 4 day workweek, but the argument about productivity isn’t a good one. We can’t generate more airplanes flying through our airspace. We just work with what happens to be on our scope while plugged in. If you think we’re poorly staffed now, imagine having to create a schedule to cover a 32 hour workweek. I don’t think it would be possible with current staffing in most facilities. I guess you’d just be working a lot of OT (If you aren’t already)
I wouldn’t necessarily disagree, at least with the argument that we don’t have the staffing to accommodate that schedule. However, if it were an eventual goal and we set forth plans to actually reach/accomplish that goal, it would likely do more to support the “improve US aviation safety” initiative than adding more tower radars and ground surveillance. The result would be overall happier employees being able to spend more time with their families, more time focusing on hobbies/personal enrichment, more rest which in turn leads to a more astute, productive, alert controller.

I think it’s easily agreeable that a controller who has ample time to rest and recuperate, spend more time with their family, decompress is and will be safer than an employee who’s on a quick turn on their 6th day of controlling in a row who only has one day to go home, do laundry, go grocery shopping, provide for their family and literally doesn’t have time to give to actually decompressing their mind.

Additionally, it would mean more pay in our pockets if anything over 32 hours was charged to OT. Little victories I guess 😂

Why did NATCA not notify the membership about, or even negotiate a contract extension?
Bc they are not required to notify us as per our constitution. I know, it's a huge fucking pet peeve with me as well. It seems like it has been voted on at the last 2 conventions at least and it has been voted down both times. So here we are, the BUEs, and we are fucking left in the dark. What kind of "Union" doesn't want input from the people that are paying to you to represent us?

Why are our representatives voting against this as well?????

Additionally, it would mean more pay in our pockets if anything over 32 hours was charged to OT. Little victories I guess 😂

And our hourly rate would increase assuming pay stayed the same, compounding the OT. So you’d get more overtime hours without actually working more for a higher rate.

And our hourly rate would increase assuming pay stayed the same, compounding the OT. So you’d get more overtime hours without actually working more for a higher rate.
Yes and this is where I see a lot of the blowback coming from, not necessarily from not being able to make a 32 hour week work but us manipulating it into us making more money. But if it stood the way you explained it, realistically we could kill two birds with one stone in better work schedule conditions AND higher pay.

They’ll tout that 5/10 or 5/5 COVID schedule until they’re blue in the face. They love bringing up that shit when you ask what else they’re doing even though that was 3 years ago.
Exactly their talking points are just plain old and members aren’t getting any new benefits for all the dues that are being paid. Unless it’s the free parties. I can go have a bunch of nights out for $1200+ a year saved by dropping out.

Back
Top Bottom