Certifying trainees and line bidding

We’ve done in the way you say where they open a new line and if someone bids it the trainee backfills. The huge caveat is that the CPC that bids a new line doesn’t have their leave protected and the trainee forced does have their leave protected.

Do any of you actually read the contract or your mou? Or know how the mou is negotiated?
Why I can argue in circles on here.

I don't think the trainee HAS to move, even if a new line opens. If it's in an mou or local procedure to rebid, then do it....but what a hassle

It was NATCA who prevented this RDO bid from happening, too, not the agency.

giphy.gif

Similar Thread: 'New CPC RDOs' New CPC RDOs

We just had that situation happen at my current facility, and were told from outside the facility (the facrep was at a conference and it was brought it up I guess) that we can’t do that, that the new line added by the certifying of the controller is automatically assigned to the controller who certified, regardless of seniority. This caused a lot of anger here, because it was a Friday-Saturday line, and lots of people above the guy who certified would have taken it had it been bid.
So was Fri-sat the same days that they were training on or did their days get moved?

Our Mou stated that when someone certifies a new line would be opened to bid and if nobody takes it then the newly certified person gets forced there. Someone from outside the facility told us that we are not allowed to do it that way and the newly certified person stays on their line. If a staffing imbalance is created and nobody takes the new days, then it goes to the lowest seniority person.

I'm calling bullshit. No one can misread article 46 that poorly. Any agreement made locally can't override the contract.
Natca and management can do whatever they want and get away with it when you have to go through NATCA leaders who essentially work for management but nobody wants to go down that path ?

Natca and management can do whatever they want and get away with it when you have to go through NATCA leaders who essentially work for management but nobody wants to go down that path ?
100% - I've had the contract violated on me and tried to file a grievance against the manager. NATCA rep told me "I see what you mean, but we don't really want to file grievances against said manager because he/she gives us a lot of overtime."

I’ve been to multiple facilities now, and every time a training controller certifies, a new RDO line is opened either in accordance with the local MOU or at the Facrep/ATM’s discretion. The new line is then bid by seniority, with the the now-previous line of the controller who vacates their line to take the newly opened line assigned to the newly certified controller, if that makes sense.

We just had that situation happen at my current facility, and were told from outside the facility (the facrep was at a conference and it was brought it up I guess) that we can’t do that, that the new line added by the certifying of the controller is automatically assigned to the controller who certified, regardless of seniority. This caused a lot of anger here, because it was a Friday-Saturday line, and lots of people above the guy who certified would have taken it had it been bid.

It was NATCA who prevented this RDO bid from happening, too, not the agency.

Is there some new rule that’s being imposed to prevent lines opened by certifying controllers, or are we getting screwed?
What does you mou state?
Also what was bid by cpcs? Did managment offer more lines than the amount of cpcs you had?

100% - I've had the contract violated on me and tried to file a grievance against the manager. NATCA rep told me "I see what you mean, but we don't really want to file grievances against said manager because he/she gives us a lot of overtime."
Good ole buddy system that’s beautiful ?

So was Fri-sat the same days that they were training on or did their days get moved?

It was both coincidentally - the days they trained on and the line they opened. At first they bid them and someone took them and was scheduled for those days, but a few days later they were told they couldn’t move, and the guy who certified got put back on them as a CPC and the person who bid them was forced back onto their previous days off.

I'm calling bullshit. No one can misread article 46 that poorly. Any agreement made locally can't override the contract.

No bullshit. That’s the neat part too - the local MOU here doesn’t define lines tied to the number of CPCs, therefore there wasn’t really a leg to stand on to appeal the decision. I tried to get the local MOU changed to tie available lines to the number of CPCs, and to define a bidding process upon certification so we bid the new line by seniority, as that was plainly laid out at another facility I was at in their MOU. No dice here, the facrep refused to do it.

It was both coincidentally - the days they trained on and the line they opened.

That's the problem. You can't declare a staffing imbalance, there is already a Cpc on the line (the new checkout).

Bumping people if you don't have to is always dumber than leaving them be. Most people that cry about people not being able to screw over new checkouts never dealt with a high seniority Cpc-IT. So work what you fuckin bid.

Is there some new rule that’s being imposed to prevent lines opened by certifying controllers, or are we getting screwed?

It's a weird seemingly new interpretation that's been spreading lately.

It seems like it's based off the (mistaken) understanding that there's no difference between a Dev line and a CPC line. The contract makes it very clear that there is, and that bidding a CPC line is done by seniority. Additionally, the contract makes it clear that any change to the BWS must be done in accordance with Article 7 (Mid Term Bargaining), which basically just requires management and NATCA to agree.

In other words, the way most facilities have been doing this for years is NOT against the contract, shockingly. However, that also doesn't mean it's the best or only way to do it. That's for locals to figure out for themselves.

Back
Top Bottom