Enroute PV Prep Tips

JenaeH

FAA
Facility
ZDC Washington Center
I am sure there have been lots of tips and tricks throughout all the posted threads here, but aside from straight up searching “enroute PV” I really haven’t found much. I take my enroute evals next Wednesday and Thursday, and I am curious to know how others prepared/ studied for these? I have read my SOPs 157 times and I still feel like I should be doing more. Any tips and recommendations are SO greatly appreciated!!!

That was the hard thing I felt during radar. It feels like you’re not studying because you’re pretty limited (cant take the radar scopes home with ya). Like you said, hammer the SOP’s. Study and know your phraseology cold, Strip marking, etc.. You will see nothing new. Everything on the evals you will have seen in the labs. Control your nerves, it’s just another problem to run with an instructor sitting behind you.

The best tips I have to offer are: to know your phraseology, complete every task throughly, and lastly remain calm.

With phraseology, personally I thought that was easiest. They give you all the words to say all you have to do is plug in your numbers. So as long as you know it like the back of your hand, you won't skip a beat when you're busy during evals.

Knowing how to complete every task is also not too hard, albeit very important. Thankfully a lot of the scenarios you see at the academy are "canned" and don't change much. So if you know what to do in as many canned situations as possible, then the only thing you spend time doing is determining which set of steps you need to take and not how to do it and in what order. The since you don't always see everything in every practice scenarios, I found it easiest to write the order of as many situations I saw saw and memorized that. That way I simply needed to determine how to handle it; but executing it was second nature.

Lastly, is staying calm, this can be the hardest for some but easy for others. Personally, I feel that if you are good in the first two things I mentioned, then this one shouldn't be a big deal. The evals are made for you to get behind and prioritize at times, it's just apart of the game. So if you know exactly what to say and how to do things, then you may reduce how backed up you get. This can greatly reduce your anxiety and make you more comfortable.

Sorry for the long post. Just know you phraseology, your steps, and be cool. Also, it's really good that you read the SOP too, that'll keep you away from any little traps.

Good luck!

The best tips I have to offer are: to know your phraseology, complete every task throughly, and lastly remain calm.

With phraseology, personally I thought that was easiest. They give you all the words to say all you have to do is plug in your numbers. So as long as you know it like the back of your hand, you won't skip a beat when you're busy during evals.

Knowing how to complete every task is also not too hard, albeit very important. Thankfully a lot of the scenarios you see at the academy are "canned" and don't change much. So if you know what to do in as many canned situations as possible, then the only thing you spend time doing is determining which set of steps you need to take and not how to do it and in what order. The since you don't always see everything in every practice scenarios, I found it easiest to write the order of as many situations I saw saw and memorized that. That way I simply needed to determine how to handle it; but executing it was second nature.

Lastly, is staying calm, this can be the hardest for some but easy for others. Personally, I feel that if you are good in the first two things I mentioned, then this one shouldn't be a big deal. The evals are made for you to get behind and prioritize at times, it's just apart of the game. So if you know exactly what to say and how to do things, then you may reduce how backed up you get. This can greatly reduce your anxiety and make you more comfortable.

Sorry for the long post. Just know you phraseology, your steps, and be cool. Also, it's really good that you read the SOP too, that'll keep you away from any little traps.

Good luck!

I appreciate the long post!! I’ll give it a shot writing everything out and memorizing that. You have helped more than you know. Thank you so much for your tips!! :)

That was the hard thing I felt during radar. It feels like you’re not studying because you’re pretty limited (cant take the radar scopes home with ya). Like you said, hammer the SOP’s. Study and know your phraseology cold, Strip marking, etc.. You will see nothing new. Everything on the evals you will have seen in the labs. Control your nerves, it’s just another problem to run with an instructor sitting behind you.

You are the best, thank you!!!

Back
Top Bottom