Going to academy for Terminal, how possible is it that I would end up back in the NJ/NY area within a couple of years?

SavannahATC

Going to academy for Terminal, how possible is it that I would end up back in the NJ/NY area within a couple of years? My fiance has a career that fulfills her here and isn't really transferable to any other parts of the country. My whole family/friends live here, her family lives here and her dad is going through Chemo. I am wondering how possible or realistically is it for me to end up back in NY/NJ with or without a hardship transfer? Don't care what level the facility is, as long it's not N90.

Last edited:
Going to academy for Terminal, how possible is it that I would end up back in the NJ/NY area within a couple of years? My fiance has a career that fulfills her here and isn't really transferable to any other parts of the country. My whole family/friends live here, her family lives here and her dad is going through Chemo. I am wondering how possible or realistically is it for me to end up back in NY/NJ with or without a hardship transfer? Don't care what level the facility is, as long it's not N90.

Without a hardship, it will depend on:
  1. You passing the academy
  2. Where you get placed
  3. How Long it takes to train
  4. What the ERR program looks like by then
  5. Your facility's staffing number
With a hardship it will depend on how legitimate your claim is. It can be as soon as you get to your facility or never. With out a hardship, it took me 3.5 years to get back to NJ/NY. Good thing for you is that if you pass the academy and certify at your first place, seeing as you don't care what facility you go to, you will have a bunch of places to choose from.

If her father is going through chemotherapy I assume you could hardship to the nearest facility. I don’t know all the ins and outs of hardship requirements, but I know people have hardship transferred for less serious issues. Without the hardship it’s hard to tell what your chances are. Generally in the terminal environment there’s a chance you could transfer within a few years, but that depends on the staffing of the facility you work at and where you’re transferring to.

If her father is going through chemotherapy I assume you could hardship to the nearest facility. I don’t know all the ins and outs of hardship requirements, but I know people have hardship transferred for less serious issues. Without the hardship it’s hard to tell what your chances are. Generally in the terminal environment there’s a chance you could transfer within a few years, but that depends on the staffing of the facility you work at and where you’re transferring to.
It’s not a automatic to hardship back because the father in law is undergoing treatment, and since this condition exists before the person took the job and agreed to relocate, that basically DQ’s that as a hardship. Even if it happen after the fact it would need to be shown that the transfer is needed because there is nobody else already in the area who could provide care for the person. They are cracking down on hardships since so many a-holes started faking or embellished them to circumvent NCEPT.

But back to the original question, if you are willing to go to ZNY, get certified, wait until your facility can release one, then put in for ZNY to leap frog everyone in the facility and go there. That is questionable ethics too but the powers that be just had big meetings and re-upped on NCEPT in its exact current form, so those are the rules that exist and you might as well play by them.

getting back to NY is the easy part, being successful and staying there is another story.

Still would have to wait for an RTF/TSEW/TETRA class to start at the Academy before going to N90.

Im assuming (big assumption) that by the time this person goes to the academy and certifies at their first facility the n90 pipeline will be a little more streamlined

N90 bid might be the fastest way to get back home, with moving expenses paid! I would imagine their NEST lists have local smaller facilities on it.

They were letting people swap specialties when I went through and if you can get enroute you can request ZNY from the academy.

They were letting people swap specialties when I went through and if you can get enroute you can request ZNY from the academy.
ZNY wasn’t even an option to request for us in enroute back in September due to the backlog. Not sure if it’s still the same way.

From what I've overheard here, 1) you can't swap specialties anymore (at least not if you're trying to get into the N90 bid) and 2) the ZNY training hold has been lifted.

ZNY wasn’t even an option to request for us in enroute back in September due to the backlog. Not sure if it’s still the same way.
It was only optional for NY natives. Not sure how it is now but an email wont hurt if they want to find out about swapping.

Back
Top Bottom