Hardships

Put that shit as a disclaimer to applicants then. “you will not move this will be your final destination for the next 20 years and you will most likely have to work 6 day work weeks since funding is not available”. Let’s start being brutally honest. Start telling these kids at the academy….”you are fucked. Welcome to the faa. We won’t update the contract and ncept is one of the wildest shitshows you will ever experience”
I just heard a whole bitch fest from some boomers about ready to retire about how “kids these days” don’t realize how great a job this is and how they need to cherish it. Show up to work with a smile ready to shine their trainers shoes, not complaining about money not going far enough and they want to be close to home.

Just because they bought their houses at 1/7th the value on a good salary means it should be just as easy for everyone to make it.

I just heard a whole bitch fest from some boomers about ready to retire about how “kids these days” don’t realize how great a job this is and how they need to cherish it. Show up to work with a smile ready to shine their trainers shoes, not complaining about money not going far enough and they want to be close to home.

Just because they bought their houses at 1/7th the value on a good salary means it should be just as easy for everyone to make it.
Every single person should strive to not be or ever act like this.

You got to pick a state. Just like I did. I ended up in that state. Now you show up clueless to the academy not knowing what the hell is happening when you pass. Or where you are going. I knew where I was going for over a year. Then I went to the academy….you were most definitely sold a better product
I also sat with a TOL for THREE YEARS because my facility that "needed me" couldn't get an academy slot....only to be told after three years it would be another 2 years unless I wanted to change to this other facility that REALLY REALLY needed me. Meanwhile now you can apply and be in OKC in weeks to months.... but yeah it was so much better "knowing" where I was going, one day, maybe.

BTW guess what, if you "picked" the wrong state, and there weren't any facilities in that state with openings, you didn't get a TOL, you got told "sorry try again on the next panel".

Ap
I also sat with a TOL for THREE YEARS because my facility that "needed me" couldn't get an academy slot....only to be told after three years it would be another 2 years unless I wanted to change to this other facility that REALLY REALLY needed me. Meanwhile now you can apply and be in OKC in weeks to months.... but yeah it was so much better "knowing" where I was going, one day, maybe.

BTW guess what, if you "picked" the wrong state, and there weren't any facilities in that state with openings, you didn't get a TOL, you got told "sorry try again on the next panel".
Appply and be to okc in weeks? Who told you your application would be selected out of the 50k?? I agree about the wait times back then they were stupid. Luckily I got in in 5 months. And we knew what facilities needed people and didn’t. I picked the right state and got it bc I researched it. And you can roll your eyes on “knowing where you’re going”. But word on the street is academy grads are getting lists they don’t want and quitting. So the faa spends thousands of dollars on trainees, gives them a shitty list and they quit. Great idea. Why not give them the list before they go so they know these will be your options. That way if someone doesn’t like it they can offer it to the next applicant. Why is this difficult to understand

Last edited:

Oh man wait till you hear about the Bio Q

Looking for some guidance, anything at all.

My hardship went to the regional level but someone there is asking for further information. The reason is for my father's medical condition, and the info being asked for is "more details about the diagnosis and prognosis" as well as "what does long term care include". The doctor was sympathetic but was not very verbose when writing the letter about this. However, he clearly lays out the diagnosis, what the effects of the condition are, and that I will be needed as a long-term caretaker because of this condition. The medical paperwork clearly states the effects my father is experiencing. This is a degenerative condition (as stated by the Doc as well) and has no cure. I had hoped that, all together and combined with my cover letter, this was very straightforward. But somehow it is not specific enough. My predicament is that I do not know how to be more specific, and I certainly do not know how to get the doctor to be more specific. Not to mention that even speaking with the doctor is nigh impossible except for an appointment every 4 months or so. What else could powers that be want to know? This medical condition is fairly common and I'm not sure what I'm missing.

Thanks in advance.

My hardship went to the regional level but someone there is asking for further information. The reason is for my father's medical condition, and the info being asked for is "more details about the diagnosis and prognosis" as well as "what does long term care include". The doctor was sympathetic but was not very verbose when writing the letter about this. However, he clearly lays out the diagnosis, what the effects of the condition are, and that I will be needed as a long-term caretaker because of this condition. The medical paperwork clearly states the effects my father is experiencing. This is a degenerative condition (as stated by the Doc as well) and has no cure. I had hoped that, all together and combined with my cover letter, this was very straightforward. But somehow it is not specific enough. My predicament is that I do not know how to be more specific, and I certainly do not know how to get the doctor to be more specific. Not to mention that even speaking with the doctor is nigh impossible except for an appointment every 4 months or so. What else could powers that be want to know? This medical condition is fairly common and I'm not sure what I'm missing.

Thanks in advance.
What is the diagnosis and prognosis? Are you going to be the sole/primary caregiver, and what sort of care will you be providing? Who is caring for him now?

What is the diagnosis and prognosis? Are you going to be the sole/primary caregiver, and what sort of care will you be providing? Who is caring for him now?
So the doctor did not go over what care I would provide, though I touched on it for my part. Perhaps to that end, they would like to see the Doc describe it in detail. But the other stuff is clear as day. Diagnosis: he has this incurable, degenerative disease. Prognosis: it is an incurable, degenerative disease and it requires his son to be a long term caretaker.

As of now he does not have one, but I have been travelling to where he lives intermittently since he went to the doctor in the winter (when the diagnosis was confirmed) to help him as much as I can. He was toughing it out before, because he is that kind of guy, but I think that ship has finally sailed. He is down 20 pounds from about 6 months ago, he has lost his physical strength. Getting out of bed or even a chair is a concerted effort now. I dont want to go into more detail than that, really, but i think I've painted a fair picture.

Thanks in advance.
That's when I'd just hit them back with a "my lawyer would like to know what exact documentation you are requesting" (even if u don't necessarily have a lawyer). See what they say. They might just magically approve it then.

Thanks in advance.
Who exactly is asking for information. NATCA or the FAA

Who exactly is asking for information. NATCA or the FAA
A NATCA person, I'm not sure what his position or title is, I just know that its outside the building.

Also I've heard about the 'ol lawyer thing, but I'm apprehensive about that, I'm just ignorant about how it could or would be recieved.

I would reach out to the rep
The regional rep? My FacRep is responsive and timely but that's about all I can get, he seems to be a terribly busy guy.

A NATCA person, I'm not sure what his position or title is, I just know that its outside the building.

Also I've heard about the 'ol lawyer thing, but I'm apprehensive about that, I'm just ignorant about how it could or would be recieved.

The regional rep? My FacRep is responsive and timely but that's about all I can get, he seems to be a terribly busy guy.
Your regional hardship NATCA rep should be able to help out

So the doctor did not go over what care I would provide, though I touched on it for my part. Perhaps to that end, they would like to see the Doc describe it in detail. But the other stuff is clear as day. Diagnosis: he has this incurable, degenerative disease. Prognosis: it is an incurable, degenerative disease and it requires his son to be a long term caretaker.

As of now he does not have one, but I have been travelling to where he lives intermittently since he went to the doctor in the winter (when the diagnosis was confirmed) to help him as much as I can. He was toughing it out before, because he is that kind of guy, but I think that ship has finally sailed. He is down 20 pounds from about 6 months ago, he has lost his physical strength. Getting out of bed or even a chair is a concerted effort now. I dont want to go into more detail than that, really, but i think I've painted a fair picture.
Don't worry, they most likely approved a hardship for someone whose dog has allergies, while giving you the run around.

Don't worry, they most likely approved a hardship for someone whose dog has allergies, while giving you the run around.
I used to think this was an exaggeration until I found myself in this situation, yeah...

Your regional hardship NATCA rep should be able to help out
Do you know how I can find out who this person is? I can try the NATCA website I've just never gone there before.

NATCA members site -> Organization -> Regions -> select your region and then you should see all the reps
Well that was easy, but I'm not sure who I'm looking for. Is it the LR Rep? I dont see hardships falling under any of the other purviews.

Back
Top Bottom