NEST info

We must be talking about different bids or something, I personally know local N90 people who were hired on the bid from about 3 years ago, washed at N90, went someplace else, and succeeded.
The 2017 bid was National, not local so they didn’t fall under the waiver terms. The local area bid was after that. As for not one of the local bid people starting labs, idk about the other areas but in my area the first class with any local bid people in it finished labs in March of 2020. They got sent home literally 2 or 3 days after finishing the lab for Covid. 2 passed out of the 4 in that group, but I don’t know who was local bid or who National or who prior experience. I don’t actually know what happened to the 2 who washed other than they got paid all through Covid. Haven’t seen them since March 2020.
All 4 were national bid. My friend went to OKC with 3 of them. Two that failed went to ACY or ABE. Some A facility in the northeast.

I can somewhat understand the way they do it now. It sucks but someone has to go to these facilities. Maybe if they did regionals selections you'd at least be somewhat close to where you want to be.

Why can't they do facility specific bids to the general public but offer a retention bonus of some sort. If they can offer 27k for sup bids why can't they offer 10k upon CPC over a 3-5 year period for anyone that's selected for ABC. If you resign before that period you can't reapply until that time period is over, and you can't ERR until that time period is over. Just spit balling.

We're an excepted service which means we don't follow OPM regulations, FAA HR is the one who decides the rules for hiring. Their rules state the process and any deviation requires a waiver for facility specific bids, which is why they're rare.

I'd imagine they believe casting a wider net in interest of staffing nationally is better from the professional standpoint than individual staffing which is better for us. Or they're just lazy.

Man this thread has gotten off topic... but to contribute, from my post here a while ago the, the law the FAA has to follow (not OPM regulation, LAW!) is 49 USC 44506(f)(1). Trying to translate that section into English, they give preference to applicants in this order:
  • A. Prior-experience FAA, DOD, or FCT controllers.
  • B(ii). "Pool 1" OTS applicants. "Pool 1" is defined as either:
    • CTI grads
    • Veterans eligible for VRA pursuant to 38 USC 4214
    • "Eligible veterans" (as defined at 38 USC 4211) with military-related aviation experience
    • "Preference eligible veterans" (as defined at 5 USC 2108)
  • B(iii). "Pool 2" OTS applicants. "Pool 2" is defined as applicants who apply under a bid "recruiting from all United States citizens."
  • C. Special applicants who apply to a special bid for a specific radar facility that runs at least 1M annual ops and is located within a Metropolitan Statistical Area with a population of more than 15M people as of July 2016.
....there is exactly one facility that meets the definition for C, and it's N90.

So as written, the only way for them to have a location-specific Pool 2 bid for a specific facility is if the facility is N90, unless the law changes. It doesn't actually say that they can't have a bid for a specific non-N90 facility for only Pool 1 applicants, so that might be an interesting path to explore. They can also lobby Congress to change the law.

Man this thread has gotten off topic... but to contribute, from my post here a while ago the, the law the FAA has to follow (not OPM regulation, LAW!) is 49 USC 44506(f)(1). Trying to translate that section into English, they give preference to applicants in this order:
  • A. Prior-experience FAA, DOD, or FCT controllers.
  • B(ii)."Pool 1" OTS applicants. "Pool 1" is defined as either:
    • CTI grads
    • Veterans eligible for VRA pursuant to 38 USC 4214
    • "Eligible veterans" (as defined at 38 USC 4211) with military-related aviation experience
    • "Preference eligible veterans" (as defined at 5 USC 2108)
  • B(iii). "Pool 2" OTS applicants. "Pool 2" is defined as applicants who apply under a bid "recruiting from all United States citizens."
  • C. Special applicants who apply to a special bid for a specific radar facility that runs at least 1M annual ops and is located within a Metropolitan Statistical Area with a population of more than 15M people as of July 2016.
....there is exactly one facility that meets the definition for C, and it's N90.

So as written, the only way for them to have a location-specific Pool 2 bid for a specific facility is if the facility is N90, unless the law changes. It doesn't actually say that they can't have a bid for a specific non-N90 facility for only Pool 1 applicants, so that might be an interesting path to explore. They can also lobby Congress to change the law.
ACK GOTTA PUMP THEM NUNBERS BOISSS!!

I'm really thinking MKE or TUL as my top 2. I don't know much and Milwaukee though. I grew up in TUL, lots of family, both a pro and con.
I don’t know much about TUL, but the city is aight and you’re not far from a couple other places to do things. If you like Oklahoma, can always move down to OKC for a bigger city or anywhere else in the future.

That said, if you’ve only got center experience so far? A tower only wouldn’t be bad to stay away from longer checkout times at most up/downs.

And also let me correct one thing from my last post: Norfolk would be a cool place to live. I’ve got friends out there who love the area and all the different things they can do or go to. Not a bad drive to DC or theme parks, but I think the facility is really challenging airspace overall and their success rate is kinda dook.

Additionally, I know a guy at FAY that took roughly four years to certify and he wasn’t an idiot. I just wouldn’t want to be in that long of a training program with that meh of a success rate.

I don’t know much about TUL, but the city is aight and you’re not far from a couple other places to do things. If you like Oklahoma, can always move down to OKC for a bigger city or anywhere else in the future.

That said, if you’ve only got center experience so far? A tower only wouldn’t be bad to stay away from longer checkout times at most up/downs.

And also let me correct one thing from my last post: Norfolk would be a cool place to live. I’ve got friends out there who love the area and all the different things they can do or go to. Not a bad drive to DC or theme parks, but I think the facility is really challenging airspace overall and their success rate is kinda dook.

Additionally, I know a guy at FAY that took roughly four years to certify and he wasn’t an idiot. I just wouldn’t want to be in that long of a training program with that meh of a success rate.
TUL and OKC are both 8s. Why would you want that? They both have Costco’s now

Weird question if anyone can answer, I cant find any info for my specific situation anywhere. I resigned as a CPC in 2016 from a level 6 up/down, went contract and came back in 2018 with a FOL to N90 from the prior-experience bid. If I withdraw from training or wash out, do I go to the NEST? Do I go back to my old facility? Do I go to Guantanamo bay? Help! I want to get out of here but I have no idea what my situation is.
Yes go to Guantanamo bay

Bigger city, more to do, closer to Dallas, probably more reasons but I’m only familiar with OKC. My few visits to Tulsa were never as enjoyable. Personal opinion though. Not fact.
I just left TUL after working there 5 years and I worked at RVS for 4 years. Great town and surrounding areas and TUL is a great facility. RVS has a great manager but I don’t know most of the people there anymore. If you have any questions about it let me know. I would be willing to say that TUL is one of the better facilities in the nation for many reasons both work environment and life outside of work.

Back
Top Bottom