Quitting

For the most part. There is another in Puerto Rico but it's far smaller. Supposedly there was a third location opening up in Virginia or thereabouts but I haven't heard anything concrete about that.
Did you have any prior experience to be able to get the job or that high on the GS pay scale?

Yes, I was a CPC at a level 7 FAA facility. That maxed me out as an apprentice GS-11 step 10 then GS-12 step 6 after one year.
So you're working now as an Interdiction or Enforcement agent within DHS? I got my degree in CJ and Homeland Security so it be nice to do something in the federal government if I'm not liking this in a few years.

Just curious does quiting before 5yrs in the agency have a bearing on retirement if you get back in? I know you can’t contribute to TSP with the match while you’re out and you aren’t accumulating good time years but is that the only downfall?

Just curious does quiting before 5yrs in the agency have a bearing on retirement if you get back in? I know you can’t contribute to TSP with the match while you’re out and you aren’t accumulating good time years but is that the only downfall?
Your retirement won’t be as big

I left at the end of 2017. CPC at a lvl 9. ERR to a center. It wasn't a bad environment and I genuinely liked the people that I worked with, but wasn't digging it. I'm too old for wed/thu(ish) off 2-2-1, which is where I was heading, didn't like the location and the likelihood of getting another err to a better locale was slim af. Also, just being honest, even though I had some R-Sides, I felt like I was winging it half the time and, try as I might, it never felt like a good fit for a forever home (YMMV). I went back to the dod where I was before the FAA (don't burn bridges kids), where I still own a house and had seniority. A couple years later I discovered the best secret in government service....OVERSEAS DOD GIGS. I've been working in Germany since the end of 2019. I live in a decent house with a yard, huge basement and garage, complements of uncle sugar, on the edge of a medieval walled city (Rothenburg ob der Tauber). Despite the pandemic and travel restrictions (rinse and repeat), I've managed to travel to 8 different countries (9 if you count the US this summer), 3 of them twice, and all over Germany. So, there's life after the FAA, you just gotta dig in, or fall in as in my case, and find it. I would totally go back to the FAA, but I wouldn't go just anywhere. It would have to be sweet and not have shit staffing. -sent from a hotel in Krakow.

Idk sounded like some of those people were trying to get into higher level facilities that couldn’t pick anyone up through ncept. Doesn’t surprise me that if a facility was over the national average they would deny it.
Jokes on them, I'm leaving a string of 12s for a low level up/down ?

Back
Top Bottom