What does a typical CPC party look like?

Someone was extolling the virtues of Irish whiskey to me the other day. I've really only ever had a handful of then mostly jameo-o.... any recommends to try?
Depends on what your price range is. But if you're new to Irish whiskEy then I always advocate starting cheaper and climbing from there.

Basic ass Bushmills, Jameson, Tullamore Dew, Sexton... they are all cheap and give you an idea of what Irish Whiskey is. For me, the beauty of cheaper IW is that it is the Swiss Army Knife of liquors: it can handle any task you need it to in a pinch. You can drink it neat because it is bright and clean and you can mix it because its flavors and notes compliment most anything without overpowering the mixers. Do they do anything amazing? No, but neither does a Swiss Army Knife. But You can grab a $20 bottle and keep it forever for when you need it and it will be there and you'll be glad you have it when you need it.

Under $40 Bushmill's Black Bush, Jameson Black Barrel, and Bushmill's 10yr. Black Bush is my favorite whiskey when looking at a price to pleasure ratio; it executes the basic principles of IW well and then adds a level of complexity from aging it more in sherry casks. Jameson Black Barrel is essentially Jameson's copycat of Black Bush. Bushmill's 10 is a good expression of "what if we took our cheap IW and made every part of it better?" Bushmill's 10 is probably my recommend for anyone wanting to start to experience IW in a serious manner; cheap enough that if it's not for you then you didn't burn cash and you can mix it with ginger beer or Dr Pepper and not feel bad.

$50-100 range are the single pot stills of Green Spot and Redbreast 12yr. IMO Green Spot is the purest IW out there. Once you know what makes an IW and what to look for, Green Spot just seems to nail every aspect of it without trying to do anything extra; like they look at the rubric for what an IW is and decided to 100% every part and do no additional spins or frills to it. Fruity nose, good mouthfeel, oaky in the right parts, fresh grass and fruit here, little spicy there, and ends clean. Redbreast 12 is my favorite in this price range: just the most beautiful nose of fresh fruits and vanilla and honey, soft and creamy mouthfeel that kicks over to wonderful spice and nuttiness on the back end and finishes clean and dry.

$100+ range is Jameson 18yr and Redbreast 15yr: I haven't had Redbreast 15 but I have friends that swear it's the best whiskey they have ever had, Jameson 18yr is my personal high water mark for IW when price isn't a factor. There are also ones like Midleton Very Rare that claim prestige in that tier, but those are the two I hear people always talk the most about. I know my role and rarely venture into these pricey waters.

IW really has had its moment in the sun for the last 5 years or so. This unfortunately has lead to a lot of product turnover, failed experiments, and blatant cash grabs. About a decade ago, Jameson had a 12 year that was similar to Bushmill's 10yr now and really was the easiest bottle to recommend because it was about $30 and hit all the notes like Green Spot does at about $60 now. But I've seen the IW bandwagon growing massively since around 2015 and a bunch of no-names pop up and the biggest name (Jameson) just start throwing shit at the wall to try and cash in on anything they can.

Depends on what your price range is. But if you're new to Irish whiskEy then I always advocate starting cheaper and climbing from there.

Basic ass Bushmills, Jameson, Tullamore Dew, Sexton... they are all cheap and give you an idea of what Irish Whiskey is. For me, the beauty of cheaper IW is that it is the Swiss Army Knife of liquors: it can handle any task you need it to in a pinch. You can drink it neat because it is bright and clean and you can mix it because its flavors and notes compliment most anything without overpowering the mixers. Do they do anything amazing? No, but neither does a Swiss Army Knife. But You can grab a $20 bottle and keep it forever for when you need it and it will be there and you'll be glad you have it when you need it.

Under $40 Bushmill's Black Bush, Jameson Black Barrel, and Bushmill's 10yr. Black Bush is my favorite whiskey when looking at a price to pleasure ratio; it executes the basic principles of IW well and then adds a level of complexity from aging it more in sherry casks. Jameson Black Barrel is essentially Jameson's copycat of Black Bush. Bushmill's 10 is a good expression of "what if we took our cheap IW and made every part of it better?" Bushmill's 10 is probably my recommend for anyone wanting to start to experience IW in a serious manner; cheap enough that if it's not for you then you didn't burn cash and you can mix it with ginger beer or Dr Pepper and not feel bad.

$50-100 range are the single pot stills of Green Spot and Redbreast 12yr. IMO Green Spot is the purest IW out there. Once you know what makes an IW and what to look for, Green Spot just seems to nail every aspect of it without trying to do anything extra; like they look at the rubric for what an IW is and decided to 100% every part and do no additional spins or frills to it. Fruity nose, good mouthfeel, oaky in the right parts, fresh grass and fruit here, little spicy there, and ends clean. Redbreast 12 is my favorite in this price range: just the most beautiful nose of fresh fruits and vanilla and honey, soft and creamy mouthfeel that kicks over to wonderful spice and nuttiness on the back end and finishes clean and dry.

$100+ range is Jameson 18yr and Redbreast 15yr: I haven't had Redbreast 15 but I have friends that swear it's the best whiskey they have ever had, Jameson 18yr is my personal high water mark for IW when price isn't a factor. There are also ones like Midleton Very Rare that claim prestige in that tier, but those are the two I hear people always talk the most about. I know my role and rarely venture into these pricey waters.

IW really has had its moment in the sun for the last 5 years or so. This unfortunately has lead to a lot of product turnover, failed experiments, and blatant cash grabs. About a decade ago, Jameson had a 12 year that was similar to Bushmill's 10yr now and really was the easiest bottle to recommend because it was about $30 and hit all the notes like Green Spot does at about $60 now. But I've seen the IW bandwagon growing massively since around 2015 and a bunch of no-names pop up and the biggest name (Jameson) just start throwing shit at the wall to try and cash in on anything they can.
This is a quality booze post. Will have get more in depth than jameo and Bushmills. That's the thing I love about Bourbon there's just and abundance of really good ones for normal consumption that don't break the bank. My go to, do all bourbons are Basil Hayden's and Bulliet. Super excellent flavor, 45 or 50 a bottle or so.

This is a quality booze post. Will have get more in depth than jameo and Bushmills. That's the thing I love about Bourbon there's just and abundance of really good ones for normal consumption that don't break the bank. My go to, do all bourbons are Basil Hayden's and Bulliet. Super excellent flavor, 45 or 50 a bottle or so.
Bourbon/Tennessee whiskey is my #2 and Bulliet is definitely up there. My go to bourbon is Four Roses Single Barrel.

I always like the comparisons that Scotch is like philosophy, Irish Whiskey is like poetry, and Bourbon is like rock n roll.

No love for rye? Pikesville Rye 110 is liquid gold.
I typically like my cocktails made with rye instead of Bourbon. Like a quality made old fashioned or manhattan with bulliet rye? ***chefs kiss***

And bourbons with a large rye content are some of my favorites, reference Basil Hayden.

You guys ever had anything from Highwest distillery? They did a Bourbon-Rye blend “Bourye” a few years back(not sure if they have done it since) and man that was delicious. Got it as a gift for someone and was able to partake and I was jealous that I didn’t have it for myself.

Bulliet being the exception, I prefer bourbons with as little rye to them as possible. I typically don't want my bourbon to have too much peppery-ness to it or to end too hot, which is also why Canadian is always at the bottom of my rankings. I want my bourbon to be smooth and mellow like a soft Savannah drawl.

I live in bourbon country. I really enjoy bulliet rye, not a huge fan of their other whiskeys.

You guys ever had anything from Highwest distillery? They did a Bourbon-Rye blend “Bourye” a few years back(not sure if they have done it since) and man that was delicious. Got it as a gift for someone and was able to partake and I was jealous that I didn’t have it for myself.
Midwinter Night’s Dram

I’m really glad this thread took the turn it did. I’m not a really big drinker. I enjoy a glass of whiskey occasionally, but I’m not a CPC level drinker. This will help me get on track before I certify!

Bulliet being the exception, I prefer bourbons with as little rye to them as possible. I typically don't want my bourbon to have too much peppery-ness to it or to end too hot, which is also why Canadian is always at the bottom of my rankings. I want my bourbon to be smooth and mellow like a soft Savannah drawl.
Blantons is probably up there for you, but its gotten pricey as fuck the past couple years. Used to be a 80 or 90 dollar bottle now it's close to 200 last time I saw.
Angels envy a good smooth Bourbon as well.

I like a little bite with mine, but I usually drink it with one big ice cube so it gets a little watered down.

If I'm doing shots......gobble gobble fuckers.

Blantons is probably up there for you, but its gotten pricey as fuck the past couple years. Used to be a 80 or 90 dollar bottle now it's close to 200 last time I saw.

I like a little bite with mine, but I usually drink it with one big ice cube so it gets a little watered down.

Love Angels Envy port finish and Elijah Craig is up there as well

I need to try Angel's Envy again because I was thoroughly unimpressed with it when I tried it several years ago and everyone raves about it; it smelled and tasted very one-note to me (maple on the nose, spiced chocolate on the tongue) so maybe my senses were just off for that bottle or something.

I don't do shots, but Wild Turkey doesn't get the respect it deserves as a mixer. Kick some Wild Turkey and some JD Tennessee Honey into Dr Pepper and it's a deliciously dangerous combo.

I need to try Angel's Envy again because I was thoroughly unimpressed with it when I tried it several years ago and everyone raves about it; it smelled and tasted very one-note to me (maple on the nose, spiced chocolate on the tongue) so maybe my senses were just off for that bottle or something.

I don't do shots, but Wild Turkey doesn't get the respect it deserves as a mixer. Kick some Wild Turkey and some JD Tennessee Honey into Dr Pepper and it's a deliciously dangerous combo.
Lots of shots are a rarity these days....if im doing multiple shots it's usually vodka, and thats a situational thing (if you do it right you can drink straight vodka all night and not be dead the next day) but every now and again I'll do a shot of whiskey or two at the bar just to get the ball rolling.

But ya wild turkey is severely underappreciated in my opinion. The best of the cheaper bourbons for sure.

Back
Top Bottom